2006 Leagues

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:42 pm

I like what I am seeing. there are ups and downs no matter what solution we come up with. The league numbers were very high, which slowed play. And I know of several people who didn't come out to single s because of how slow the play was. I personally don't care if I am out there all night. The longer the better as far as I am concerned, but there are many people who don't have all night, and we need to accomodate them as well. As far as accomodating rec players; part of the reason I think we had such high numbers was picking up rec players that night at league. I can recall several instances when a car full pulled up to play a casual round and ended up playing league. If they don't want to play they can go some where else. I was once in those shoes. the only resolution I see is splitting up the divisions. The "A" division one night and B & C divisions another night. This way the "A" division can play from the long pads and still get done at a reasonable time. and the "B" & "C" can play from either the short or the long and still get done at a reasonable time. Or have all divisions on the same night but at different courses. The downside to this is losing that unity of the Club which I enjoy very much.
Buzzznation

Postby daltonoutdoors » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:38 pm

I don't like the idea of splitting the divisions up. One of the things I liked most when I came to doubles, was that I got to know 3 brand spanking new people every week. Many of which were A players and I learned something every week. By the time singles rolled around I had met and played with a good share of people. By mid-summer I would go to Grandview and join up with a couple of people I had met at league. This kept me coming out and learning more everytime I played.

Daylight is obviously an issue. We have to start at 6:00. Moving the actual league farther away is not condusive for most to get from work, to home to either feed or pick up the dog, and get to league. Big Creek and Pickard is always hard to make it on time--I have to leave work early.

KC has league at different courses each day of the week. It is not continuous--where you have to be there--if you can make it--you show up and pay your money--I don't believe they give strokes to people. I believe that will reduce our overall numbers, and reduce the inviting atmosphere we have and but I don't think that is a goal.

It appeared Shane's league was difficult and time consuming to administer because he was constantly doing the handicap system. With 72 people that is time consuming. That league needs to be kept smaller.

You could limit the field to a certain number. For those that pay the full amount at the beginning are guaranteed a spot. Those who pay individually are first come first serve. That would be an incentive to pay up front, or show up early. Although, I don't like the idea that we turn people away.

I like the idea of changing the format each session according to the amount of sunlight, to make play go faster or slower, such as only carrying two discs (although I would argue it should be three--driver, mid, puter), or alternate shot rather than best shot.

If you split up the week, like originally planned, you could have a doubles director and singles director (encore by Vic). You pay the same league price for both nights of play. The Club has an opportunity to double the amount of money received from players (although not everyone will come to both sessions). Or, you can pay per night, which will cost you more if you show up more than twice per month.

Yes, I like the idea that we advertise the schedule early on to get more rec players showing up, or not being pissed off they didn't pay attention to our league schedule. Although that is a great opportunity to get them involved and tell them where to find the schedule and they can see the website (which if we could get the Glow info off the home page it might be more useful more often). I'll bet we can get a small article in the Register with a quick note about our league schedule and how to find out where we will be.

Adding Grandview into the League schedule is pure excitement. Public meeting is coming up. Can we get this on the website?

AD
daltonoutdoors

Postby actifed » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:28 pm

One of the things Sprague was really in favor of was having a more casual league night and a more 'hardcore' night. I think that you'll find a lot of the good players will still show up at casual night. And maybe we could find a way to get the better players mixed in evenly with the newer players.
actifed

Postby Joe Cool » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:49 am

This is what I have come up with, pending everyone is willing to work with me. I think it offers something for everyone if we let all potential players know ahead of time. We can all benefit from working together.

MONDAY – DSM SINGLES LEAGUE – JOE WILEY
TUESDAY – INDIANOLA / AMES LEAGUES – INDIANOLA? & STEVE KENTON
WEDNESDAY – MONEY LEAGUE – MATT FAUSCH
THURSDAY – THROW DOWN – SHANE STEWART
FRIDAY – DSM DOUBLES LEAGUE – VICTOR CLARK

MONDAY DSM SINGLES - Cost: $40.00 men--$25.00 women & juniors (Those not paid in full by week #4 pay $4.00 per night -$3 for women & juniors - singles or doubles.) Rain-outs and acts of nature no refund-scored zero for everyone.

DSM Singles play – 80% handicap
5 Points for playing - 1 Point for everyone you beat or tie
1 Week scratch play for everyone to establish hdcp. After that, Hdcp. Applies regardless of where you start.
Drop the worst 3 scores. Most points wins
Pay out – DSM League standard, CTP’s, Games/Contests, trophies, etc.

TUESDAY - INDIANOLA OR AMES – Cost?
Take what they offer

WEDNESDAY MONEY LEAGUE – Cost?
Singles - Scratch play
One division – no handicaps or strokes
Payout nightly at the discretion of nightly league director

THURSDAY NIGHT THROW DOWN – Cost?
However Shane did it before or however he wants to do it now.

DSM FRIDAY DOUBLES - Cost: $40.00 men--$25.00 women & juniors (Those not paid in full by week #4 pay $4.00 per night -$3 for women & juniors - singles or doubles.) Rain-outs and acts of nature no refund-scored zero for everyone.

Three divisions (A, B, C). One point per golfer defeated in each division. 3 worst scores dropped + C players short pads (same as 06 give or take)
Payout – DSM league standard, CTP’s, Games/Contests, trophies, etc.

DSM DISCOUNT
$60 buy in to play both DSM singles and doubles at start of season plus $5 discount to club members for singles or doubles or both. (Not $10 for both) Money and Shanes league excluded.

SUNDAY MINI?

Sorry Jay, if this works out I don’t think there will be room enough for a Bushwhacker league this year.
Joe Cool

Postby Single L » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:41 am

Joe Cool nice work with trying to get things organized.
I mentioned to you this summer that in May I will be moving to Des Moines, I was curious about a Bushwhacker style league.
Personally I think that it is the best way to go, but would be tough with the number of members.

I once again thank you for creating the best league I have ever been in!!!
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby grodney » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:57 am

Mon and Fri list a cost but don't list how many weeks.

I think it's fabulous that many posters in this thread are intent on making the drop-in casual players aware of league nights by having clearly posted league schedules. It seems league players often forget that they have no reservation on the course nor any "rights" above or beyond casual players. And even if the league players don't attempt to stop the casuals from mixing in-between groups, I'm sure it's still a drag to show up and find 90 players spreading out for a shotgun start.
grodney

Postby Cydisc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:07 am

The Ames league is 14 weeks of singles. Weekly cost is $3 resident, $4 non-resident. There is a price break for pre-paying the season. Registration is through the City of Ames Parks and Recreation.
Cydisc

Postby Joe Cool » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:33 am

Both of the official club leagues will be an 18 week season counting back from Labor Day. There will also be a night one week before that to sign up ahead of time.
The above format is just my suggestions. I am counting on at least 10 people telling me why this won't work or why they don't like it so let's just wait and see what happens.
As for taking over courses. I am going to post a schedule or something at every course any where near here along with everywhere I can find that sells discs. I also need whoever takes over the DSM web page to put ALL relevant info where you can't miss it. If you don't know where we are at you don't but discs and never look at any course message boards. I want everyone, not just existing disc golfers, everyone young and old to know how, where, and when to find us and where they sign to play.
Joe Cool

Postby 10up » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:50 am

sweet, I like the format Joe, sounds like about the best mix you could hope for, it will be interesting to see what attention goes where. I don't forsee it being a problem...

and holla at your humdinger... maybe I won't be the only one donating with this kind of press anymore.
10up

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05 am

I guess my suggestion would be to chuck the Wednesday mini, or Tanner Duncan donation night, whatever you wanna call it.

Have a Bushwacker League Wednesday night sometime in the middle of the summer. I'm not sure what the timeframe is on that league? The Wednesday mini draws less than 10 people anyways, and a Bushwacker format would give people that can't play Mondays another option. I think it's a format that Des Moines needs, and a lot of players would really like it, once we got into it. And it will be a refreshing change from the same old, same old.

Just my $.02.

And, Joe, as I previously told you, I will be more than willing to help you out in any way, and I'm all for using Heritage and Maytag parks along with the league courses used already. We use GVCC WAY too much for leagues, and it's the most used rec course in Des Moines, by far.
GDL17921

Postby Cydisc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:08 am

What is this "bushwhacker" league to which you refer?
Cydisc

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:12 am

Joe, I'll let you field that one.

Basically, my understanding of it is, you have a partner for the duration of the league. You play singles matches througout the season and earn points, and it is handicapped, in some way. Joe will have to fill in the serious gaps I've left in this explanation.
GDL17921

Postby 10up » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:32 am

the wednesday mini can't be "chucked"... it's there regardless of whether somebody wants to run something over, or along, or with it. I don't really remember Tanner winning many of the nights either...

But the point of having it advertised is because the cash league is really the only one that is going to give players like Tanner, Clue, Leaf, Claring, etc, any real incentive to play. If everything is Handicap there are situations where they would actually lose strokes to a field that gains... what? say 20, or hell, even 10. Point being, it's good to have an advertisement out that tries the utmost to cater to every level of player. Kind of impossible in a one format type event, but, at least this way the guys that show up to the Monday or Thursday league can see that if they want to try their hand at a big boy game they know where to find it. And if enough people start to show up I know would be absolutely no problem working out something on an individual basis, as well as I would have no problem making a back seat B pool to Tanner and those guys... as long as Fausch plays in it. :twisted:
10up

Postby Cydisc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:41 am

There's always Bizarro League for those who don't like the choices given them.
Cydisc

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:22 pm

well, you're right Dan. The Wednesday mini can continue, and have it's 4-6 man draw each week. I just think that it's not a reason to not have Bushwacker on that night. I think that the BW league only runs for about 10-12 weeks anyways (I'm guessing) and the Wed mini goes on as long as there's daylight, so I don't think it'll go away, I just think it's a night where something new could be offered.

So, go donate away. :lol:
GDL17921

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club