USDGC Exemption

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby Sprague » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:26 pm

Captain wrote:
All those events are early in the season. I think you want the player who is playing the best golf NOW(August), not who played the best in April. This is why I think one event should decide it. If that event is two-dayer, great.

Option #1500051

Back to back weekend events at different locations; combined score from both weekends wins.

Sorry Stibs, but as much as I agree with Clue, I must disagree with you about the same amount.

Earning your way into the USDGC as the Iowa rep should be earned over the course of the Iowa Tour - I want to say " that guy was the best of the non-qualified players*(qualified players being the other) I don't care who is the best is April, that's why I would love to see a 2009 temporary qualification process followed by a non-calendar year points race (let everyone get warmed up and start the new season in September) This way guys that need time to get there summer legs would...f*ck it...I think everyone knows what I mean. Due to the need for a decision in Aug. I would hate to see the heart of the Iowa season lost in the process because there's no time to pick a candidate at that time.

It would also give some accolades to guys (besides AO, Tanner, and me in the past IL now) Madrid would be our Daytona 500 - think about it! :shock:
Sprague

Postby Sprague » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 pm

Good points system Shane, I don't think Madrid is on the IA Tour (?) but couldn't you involve some tournaments in name only for the purpose of points. As long as they draw a ton of players... just a thought...WAR MADRID!
Sprague

Postby Sprague » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:36 pm

BTW Captain, I did finally agree with you indirectly on something! At Camden II, after playing the course, and realizing that erosion is inevitable and that the ravines are extremely unique elevation changes, we have decided to have all ravines in bounds and are softening other ob areas on the course as well.

Plus CII has a par 72 layout on the way...ssshhh it's a secret :twisted:

All in all, I've come up with 24 potential par 5's and about 35 different "choose your own adventures" on the course - that's not including the use of Camden I!!!!! more to come...!!!...stay tuned!
Sprague

Postby gocards300 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:41 am

shane wrote: If Climo shows up and takes first and Olsen takes second he gets 80 points and no one will get first (unless Climo has a tag).

Thanks for the props shane. I better get practicing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
gocards300

Postby Buzzznation » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:51 am

Sprague wrote:
Captain wrote:
All those events are early in the season. I think you want the player who is playing the best golf NOW(August), not who played the best in April. This is why I think one event should decide it. If that event is two-dayer, great.

Option #1500051

Back to back weekend events at different locations; combined score from both weekends wins.

Sorry Stibs, but as much as I agree with Clue, I must disagree with you about the same amount.

Earning your way into the USDGC as the Iowa rep should be earned over the course of the Iowa Tour - I want to say " that guy was the best of the non-qualified players*(qualified players being the other) I don't care who is the best is April, that's why I would love to see a 2009 temporary qualification process followed by a non-calendar year points race (let everyone get warmed up and start the new season in September) This way guys that need time to get there summer legs would...f*ck it...I think everyone knows what I mean. Due to the need for a decision in Aug. I would hate to see the heart of the Iowa season lost in the process because there's no time to pick a candidate at that time.

It would also give some accolades to guys (besides AO, Tanner, and me in the past IL now) Madrid would be our Daytona 500 - think about it! :shock:

I like the idea of doing a non calendar year. September - August?

Great point system Shane. Definately a step in the right direction. The only discrepencay I may have would be that I think 1st, and maybe even 1st-3rd should be weighted a little more than it's predecessors. Either way I'll be happy. Great system.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Tiki » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:18 pm

I've decided that the exemption will be tied to the Iowa Tour. I believe that enough people on here support that. I am then leaning towards Sprague's idea of ending the tour sometime in August, probably at the DSM Open and then starting the next tour at Madrid. The three questions with that are:

Is one week enough time for somebody to fully commit to going to the USDGC? The deadline is August 31.

Since Shane picked up the Iowa Tour this year, does he support that plan?

Should we start counting points for this years invite starting with the first tour stop? My opinion is yes. Start counting at the OPC Open, which I believe is still the first event, and stop counting in August. The 2010 invite would then use the full tour schedule.
Tiki

Postby AO » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Tiki wrote:Is one week enough time for somebody to fully commit to going to the USDGC? The deadline is August 31.

I would think so as long as the points are updated and you know where you stand at the begining of August. If you are part of the tour and points are close, should probably start saving and thinking about making plans to go.
AO

Postby shane » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:38 pm

[quote="Tiki"]I've decided that the exemption will be tied to the Iowa Tour. I believe that enough people on here support that. I am then leaning towards Sprague's idea of ending the tour sometime in August, probably at the DSM Open and then starting the next tour at Madrid. The three questions with that are:

Is one week enough time for somebody to fully commit to going to the USDGC? The deadline is August 31. This is one of my biggest concerns. I personally would never be able to take a trip at the last moment wife, family, job.

Should we start counting points for this years invite starting with the first tour stop? My opinion is yes. Start counting at the OPC Open, which I believe is still the first event, and stop counting in August. The 2010 invite would then use the full tour schedule.This is also a difficult transition seeings how you would technically be starting a tour for 3/4 of a season. There will be more at stake then just the bid as there will be money and prizes for the top finishers in every division.[quote]

I'm still looking for options and haven't came to a decision yet. Any and all input will help. Thanks
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Like_Water » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:22 pm

One weeks' notice is probably not reasonable. At least 2-3 weeks.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Single L » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:10 pm

Tiki wrote:I've decided that the exemption will be tied to the Iowa Tour. I believe that enough people on here support that. I am then leaning towards Sprague's idea of ending the tour sometime in August, probably at the DSM Open and then starting the next tour at Madrid. The three questions with that are:

Is one week enough time for somebody to fully commit to going to the USDGC? The deadline is August 31. I highly doubt it. I would suggest going from August - July for the Iowa Tour calendar. This would buy another month for the winner of the Iowa Tour.

Should we start counting points for this years invite starting with the first tour stop? My opinion is yes. Start counting at the OPC Open, which I believe is still the first event, and stop counting in August. The 2010 invite would then use the full tour schedule. Based on my suggestion above I would use January - July for the 2009 Iowa Tour for the 2009 invite. I feel this short season is much better than a single tournament for deciding who goes. Carful planning would have to go into this as it would be a short transitional season; a shortened 2009 Mini-Iowa Tour should have temporarily lowered fees and altered scoring. The full blow new and improve 2009-2010 Iowa Tour could start in August with all the bells and whistles.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Sprague » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:00 am

If the season went sep - aug it would be obvious if your in the hunt - so if you plan on going you would be gearing up for it in July, so I think the weeks notice isn't really an issue as AO said - if you're goal is to go then you can at least start making arrangements once you know your in the hunt.
Sprague

Postby shane » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:18 am

I'm not sure I like running a short year. It really makes it tough for the type of sponsorship I would like to line up. There are other divisions that are gaining nothing but have to deal with the shortened year. While I really do like tying this in I'm just not seeing how it's reasonable. I would essentially have to line up twice the sponsorship in one year. so we can give it away this year and advertise it for next (I refuse to advertise anything that I don't have in hand). the more I think this through the more I'm getting scared of it.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Sprague » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:37 am

shane wrote:I'm not sure I like running a short year. It really makes it tough for the type of sponsorship I would like to line up. There are other divisions that are gaining nothing but have to deal with the shortened year. While I really do like tying this in I'm just not seeing how it's reasonable. I would essentially have to line up twice the sponsorship in one year. so we can give it away this year and advertise it for next (I refuse to advertise anything that I don't have in hand). the more I think this through the more I'm getting scared of it.

Shane you simply have to explain confidently the reasoning for the shortened season - offer the sponsors coverage Jan - Dec (regardless of the actual season) hoplefully they'll be on board the next season (basically give them a free 1/2 season (they're sponsorship would be the transition season for free and 2009-2010 as their official sponsorship). I would get the money up front though - give them the free season on the back end.

I could see some challenges in the sponsor thing, but the USDGC exemption can shadow whatever you decide to do (Jan - July for the decider - regular season for everyone else) but I do like the idea of having the split season - that way we can celebrate and start new during the same summer - twice as much to talk about - and a fresh season while everyone is playing at peak condition. I think a neat idea.
Sprague

Postby Dana » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:34 pm

You could still run the full Iowa Tour, just have the USDGC spot be determined by the points earned by Aug 1 (or whatever date you choose).
Dana

Postby The Donator » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Sprague wrote:If the season went sep - aug it would be obvious if your in the hunt - so if you plan on going you would be gearing up for it in July, so I think the weeks notice isn't really an issue as AO said - if you're goal is to go then you can at least start making arrangements once you know your in the hunt.

It still really isnt enough time. What if the top 3 are all close, and you end up being one of the two guys who didnt make it but had to take a week (or more) off of work way in advance just because you knew you were going to be in the hunt?
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator