USDGC Exemption

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

USDGC Exemption

Postby Tiki » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Through conversations that I have had with Shane and AO (through Shane). The current plan is to tie the USDGC Exemption to the overall winner of the Iowa Tour. There are two ways that this could be done.

1.) The 2009 Iowa Tour winner would get the exemption for the 2010 USDGC.

2.) The current 2009 Iowa Tour leader as of August 1st, would get the exemption for the 2009 USDGC. (The Aug. 1 date is just an arbitrary date.)

If option 1 is the way to go, then a way to determine the 2009 USDGC Exemption would need to be figured out. I would suggest tying it into the State Championship for 2009.

I want to hear input from everybody on this. There may be a better way that we're not thinking of.
Tiki

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:51 pm

i like option 2.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby AO » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:00 pm

I like option 2. I think the Iowa tour can also go into the first weekend of September. I know that is what IL did and it worked out well for them. Maybe Dana or Brett C. could explain how IOS ran their tour in 2008.
AO

Postby MDR_3000 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:25 pm

They just did it based on the Rockford tournament...no series points or anything like that.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby Captain » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:39 pm

I think the idea behind USDGC is to send the best player possible. I don't like the idea of a pts race via Iowa Tour. Then your sending the player who played the most events. If you want the exemption, you would have to play most of the Iowa Tour events.

I think of this year's qualifier. Clay was def the best player (that day :lol: ), but he didn't play as many events this year as a lot of other pros in the state. Just because he didn't play as many events doesn't make him a less-skilled player.

I say send the best. One event to be held later in the summer, pref not in DSM, CR, or IC. Neutral site be best.
Captain

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:56 pm

Captain wrote: Then your sending the player who played the most events. If you want the exemption, you would have to play most of the Iowa Tour events.

Exactly. Great marketing tool for the IA Tour. Although, you don't necessarily have to play the most events to win.

Also, I'm not a fan of option #2. Simply because a lot of the IA Tour events took place after August this year.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Clue » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:56 pm

If you want the best player then it should be based on multiple events, however your assessment that most tournaments played shouldn't be the criteria either is true. So it should be an average of a few events.

How are the points on the Iowa tour going to work? I know there was some discussion on not weighing high attendance events so high this year. It seems to me that you should just get points like 10-1 for a 1st-10th finish with maybe a participation point.

Whatever you do, TJ, make sure you are watching the registration deadline and allow some time in case Clay has a wedding he forgot about, and the 2nd place guy isn't too late.
Last edited by Clue on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clue

Postby Tiki » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:56 pm

With the way Shane is talking about running the tour next year, you won't have to play in every event to have a chance. He's changing the way points are figured and limiting the number of tour stops in each city. He'll have to get on here and explain it.
Tiki

Postby harryPutter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:08 pm

I personally don't think that the most skilled player is the one to send on exemption. I know that the USDGC exemption was setup so that anyone could experience it. Not to mention, most of the time - the best player probably already qualified by then.

It doesn't have to be one thing that awards a player. How about a point system not just based on tournament play but:

1. PDGA Rating
2. Volunteer Work
3. Money Raised for the sport
4. Camaraderie
5. Composure during play
6. Friendship
7. Professionalism
8. Directing Tournies (TD)
9. Amount of Iowa Tournies played and where they placed
10. etc., etc.
And these could be judged through a recommendation process. For example: if someone notices another player showing extraordinary professionalism during a tournament then they tell the TD and it gets recorded. Or better yet, have it setup on the web as a template form for recommendation.

Base it on attributes that represent the state of IA the best. Yes it's more complicated but definately a fair shake. Not only that but it offers a system to reward players for more then just playing. A system for being an all-around great disc golfer.
Last edited by harryPutter on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harryPutter

Postby Clue » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:18 pm

harryPutter wrote:I personally don't think that the best skilled player is the one to send on exemption. I know that the USDGC exemption was setup so that anyone could experience it. Not to mention, most of the time - the best player probably already qualified by then.

It doesn't have to be one thing that awards a player. How about a point system not just based on tournament play but:

1. PDGA Rating
2. Volunteer Work
3. Money Raised for the sport
4. Camaraderie
5. Composure during play
6. Friendship
7. Professionalism
8. Directing Tournies (TD)
9. Amount of Iowa Tournies played and where they placed
10. etc., etc.
And these could be judged through a recommendation process. For example: if someone notices another player showing extraordinary professionalism during a tournament then they tell the TD and it gets recorded. Or better yet, have it setup on the web as a template form for recommendation.

Base it on attributes that represent the state of IA the best. Yes it's more complicated but definately a fair shake. Not only that but it offers a system to reward players for more then just playing. A system for being an all-around great disc golfer.

fwd: nebdisc.com
Clue

Postby harryPutter » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:22 pm

FYI - Only posted because I got a text from AO to do so. :)
harryPutter

Postby SARG27044 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:25 pm

I'd want it to go to the player who had the best chance of kicking some serious ass down there. Represent! maybe have a poll of the best discer's and let their peers decide?
SARG27044

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:27 pm

SARG27044 wrote: maybe have a poll of the best discer's and let their peers decide?

You're just saying this so Grant could go down :lol:
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

I like the idea of having someone as of Aug 1st, however:

the events leading up to Aug. 1 would have to be geographically dispersed, as to not favor one region of the state over another. that might be harder to achieve.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Clue » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:29 pm

It's a reasonably legitimate idea, much like the TD exemption as a reward for running an NT. It's at the sole discretion of the SC. Personally, I think the focus should be on a reasonably competitive golfer since anyone can go down and be part of the experience and play the course in a couple different capacities. There's the Monday Qualifier which could mean 2 competitive rounds for $75, and the Sunday after the tournament.
Clue

Next

Return to Ask the State Coordinator