Iowa Wrestling

Sports related topics.

Iowa Wrestling

Postby papparoc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:01 am

How come no one is interested in talking about the top 2 ranked teams in the country, especially the defending National Champions.
papparoc

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:03 am

Because once you get out of high school, wrestling loses a bit of its draw.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby papparoc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:06 am

Tell that to Brock Lesner
papparoc

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:44 am

I've actually had a growing interest in wrestling, seeing how popular it is in Norwalk, my neighbor refs, etc.. With the re-emergence of IA/ISU, it'll continue to grow throughout the state I think.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:46 am

papparoc wrote:Tell that to Brock Lesner

Are you kidding me? Lesner became a draw after college...
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby papparoc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:17 pm

I love disc golf but you cant get a full ride to Iowa on a disc golf scholorship.

They are expecting a record croud for IU-ISU meet this weekend.
papparoc

Postby Single L » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:19 pm

I think part of the problem is that Wrestling in Iowa is a regionally popular at the high school level and that translates to fans of college wrestling. At smaller schools wrestling is popular all over the state, but not at the 4A (3A for wrestling) level. The CIML is weak at wrestling overall; a few schools such as SE Polk and Roosevelt excel yearly, but not the conference as a whole. The only areas on the West Side that are strong in 3A are Sioux City and Council Bluffs, in the Missouri Rive Conference. I went to CR Prairie, a historically and perennially strong wrestling school, and we had more people attend Wrestling meets than we did at basketball or football. Look at the last 3 years at the 3A level. 2008 State Duels top 3 seeds east side – Winner East Side, State top 3 teams East Side - winner East Side; 2007 State Duels top 3 seeds East Side – Winner East Side, State top 3 of 4 teams East Side – winner East Side; 2006 State Duels top 3 seeds East Side – Winner East Side, State top 3 of 4 teams East Side – winner East Side.

Bottom line the majority of the people that post on hear seem to be from DSM a weak High School Wrestling area, so posting on the topic of wrestling is not strong.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:26 pm

^^^^^
ita all about the fooseball. GO TIGERS! WOOT WOOT
SARG27044

Postby The Donator » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:29 pm

porkchop wrote:I think part of the problem is that Wrestling in Iowa is a regionally popular at the high school level and that translates to fans of college wrestling. At smaller schools wrestling is popular all over the state, but not at the 4A (3A for wrestling) level. The CIML is weak at wrestling overall; a few schools such as SE Polk and Roosevelt excel yearly, but not the conference as a whole. The only areas on the West Side that are strong in 3A are Sioux City and Council Bluffs, in the Missouri Rive Conference. I went to CR Prairie, a historically and perennially strong wrestling school, and we had more people attend Wrestling meets than we did at basketball or football. Look at the last 3 years at the 3A level. 2008 State Duels top 3 seeds east side – Winner East Side, State top 3 teams East Side - winner East Side; 2007 State Duels top 3 seeds East Side – Winner East Side, State top 3 of 4 teams East Side – winner East Side; 2006 State Duels top 3 seeds East Side – Winner East Side, State top 3 of 4 teams East Side – winner East Side.

Bottom line the majority of the people that post on hear seem to be from DSM a weak High School Wrestling area, so posting on the topic of wrestling is not strong.

Thats because we have better things to do than wrassle. Small schools always have extremely talented golfers too.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Single L » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:05 pm

The Donator wrote:
porkchop wrote:I think part of the problem is that Wrestling in Iowa is a regionally popular at the high school level and that translates to fans of college wrestling. At smaller schools wrestling is popular all over the state, but not at the 4A (3A for wrestling) level ......

Thats because we have better things to do than wrassle. Small schools always have extremely talented golfers too.

I don't think it's because larger school students have better things to do, I think it's because larger schools, generally speaking have a poorer work ethic than smaller schools. Wrestling is a working man/blue collar sport. It takes a certain breed of person and a certain character to be good at wrestling. Generally speaking, small school and farm kids seemed to have a stronger work ethic and thus are good at wrestling. The majority of the Big schools that tend to be good year in and year out also have this mentality due to their student body makeup; North Scott, Waverly-Shell Rock, CR Prairie, and SE Polk, all partially or mostly rural schools, or they are inner city schools like Waterloo East and DM Roosevelt. I'm not knocking anyone in this statement; I'm just stating the facts. The rural vs city(suburbia) trend is seen all over the nation. The Midwest (rural) is noted to have a better work ethic than the East Coast (city). Look at where the dominate college wrestling programs are located, the Midwest.

I am now stepping off my soapbox
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby papparoc » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:13 pm

I didn't want to start a heated discussion. I'm just looking forward to #1 ISU and #2 Iowa squaring off tomarrow.
Last edited by papparoc on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papparoc

Postby Single L » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:17 pm

No heated discussion .... I just thought I'd try to explain Wrestling to Lindsley :wink:

It should be a good meet ... one for the ages 8)
Single L

Postby dischawk » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:35 pm

porkchop wrote:No heated discussion .... I just thought I'd try to explain Wrestling to Lindsley :wink:

It should be a good meet ... one for the ages 8)

In contrast to my brother, I wrestled for six years and I still follow the sport (or at least the hawks) about as close as I follow the football team. I've tried talkin wrestling on here before but nobody seemed to give a hoot so thats why I havent brought it up thus far.

I'll be workin at the meet this weekend and I hope they are able to sell enough tix to this thing... 15,646 is the mark to beat.
Usually it a bad sign when more people come to wrestling meets than the basketball games... but then again this is Iowa so the exception can be made.
dischawk

Postby dischawk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:44 pm

The domination continues... Iowa 20 ISU 15

Also a new NCAA attendance record of 15,955!
dischawk

Postby Abe Froman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:42 am

porkchop wrote: I went to CR Prairie, a historically and perennially strong wrestling school, and we had more people attend Wrestling meets than we did at basketball or football

u also had a chick wrestler, that was somewhat competitive.
Abe Froman

Next

Return to Sports