Possible Carlisle course

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Postby Single L » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:21 pm

papparoc wrote:
SARG27044 wrote:"All it takes is a few beers and the girl would look like Jessica Simpson.
When you are out of town and horny even Koby can act like Fausch.
He got off easy."

:?

I could't help myself after the pictures I saw on one of the theads.

I played with him at th IA games a couple years ago. He was very funny and I felt he had the potential to be one of the best disc golfers in IA

key words :(
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:28 pm

He's the best worst golfer there is.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:34 pm

papparoc wrote: I felt he had the potential to be one of the best disc golfers in IA

Oh Boy. Now you opening a whole other can of worms.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Clue » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:40 pm

papparoc wrote: I felt he had the potential to be one of the best disc golfers in IA

That's the kicker. He was one of the best players in Iowa. That's what's so funny. He's worse now than he was 10 years ago.
Clue

Postby SARG27044 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:49 am

he still blows my mind with some of the routes he takes and some of the shots he pulls off. i would love to see him play to his potential that we all know is there, not sayin he sucks though, he still kicks my ass 75% of the time, that is if we are playin for money
SARG27044

Postby johnemus » Mon May 18, 2009 10:32 am

hey guys. i'm finally back into disc golf. i was pretty discouraged by the responses I received from the businesses when I first went and talked to the about pledging some money for the course. It's tough for a high school/college student to get businesses to pledge some money to you. That's just the way it is.

But as far as the course design goes, about a year or 2 ago, I walked the course with Jon Latch and we went through a design that could work very well for the park. It would be a rec course, a good way to grow the sport in this community as there really aren't probably more than 10 people here in town who play the sport. The desing, for the most part, goes around the outside of the park, avoiding much of the congestion for other users. It also wouldnt be a bad place to come and work on your short game. Most competitive players could just bring a roc or whatever mid range you use and a putter.

I'm sure the city is still for getting the course put in. I haven't talked them since I failed getting pledges for it. I was thinking we could do Jason's idea and do a fundraising tourney with portable baskets herewith the course layout. that way some of the people who are skeptical that the course would work could throw it and see what they think.

Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Josh Ohnemus
johnemus

Postby ghstinshll » Mon May 18, 2009 10:52 am

johnemus wrote:
Any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Josh Ohnemus

:lol: :lol: :lol:

##39027
ghstinshll

Postby johnemus » Mon May 18, 2009 11:00 am

haha probably but i wanna give it another shot. this park really doesnt get used a whole lot. I've lived next to this park for the last 12 years. the park doesnt get used a whole lot. mainly for little league baseball games. I think the portable basket tournament would be a good chance for people to actually try it out and see how the really course would be instead of just making comments on how they THINK it COULD be.
johnemus

Postby 10up » Mon May 18, 2009 11:08 am

I could get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather just take the butcher's word for it.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby Cydisc » Mon May 18, 2009 11:41 am

johnemus wrote:I think the portable basket tournament would be a good chance for people to actually try it out and see how the really course would be instead of just making comments on how they THINK it COULD be.

An excellent idea. This should be standard procedure for *any* new course. We did it for ISU in 2004 and allowed us to make any necessary adjustments prior to adding any permanent features like concrete tee pads.

I'm always in favor of delaying pads until the course has been played for at least a season. Play multiple natural tees and figure out where the best locations are before setting anything in stone.
Cydisc

Postby jlowekc » Mon May 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Wow.....talk about whiny people.....

First off, Iowa is a great place to be from. Disc golf is good there, but disc golf is only as good as the people playing it. Never eliminate their decisions.

Designing disc golf courses is not for a group to decide. You need a king/President/leader to decide. If you put a 5some together to work on a course, it will never get done. They will argue more than you guys did here in the forum.

If the city wants it, LET THEM BUY IT. PAY TO HAVE A DESIGNER BUILD IT. There are many great people in disc golf, and many people in disc golf can design a few good holes, but when you are talking about the only course within a community, they need to support it (not the players) and pay for it. If you are doing fund raising for it, it is not a priority with the city, and will get neglected because they know you will do the work for free. If they pay for it, and they work with you on it, they will maintain it, and the community will enjoy it. What happens when a basket is stolen or vandalized, do you need to have a fund raiser to replace it?

You get what you pay for. You pay someone nothing for a course, you get a nothing course. You have resources available in the area that could help you work on this. There are certified designers within a 30 minute drive of the land. Offer to buy them lunch, pick their brain, see what they say. *With Latch, it sounds like you already have done that...good, thats the way it should be* If you have a chance to put in a 6 hole course that challenges you, go for it, have alternate pads in 3 locations, you have 18 playable holes then.(I dunno havent looked as the land is not within 30 minutes of me.

Traveling distances over 15 minutes is ridiculously close. The only reason to put a course in Carlisle is to appease a few people that may not know about the sport. It is not going to be the great white hope of dics golf, rather is going to encourage newer (probably under 16 yrs old) to play, and will make them want to play on a "big course" in the "Big City", or if the go to Pella (YUCK!!!!) :lol: and play at Red Rock, they will have an idea of what the sport is.

You should use the smaller communities without enough land to make a solid course as a feeding ground. Be sure the Marquee offers all local area courses, Des Moines, Indianola, down to Pella/Osky/Ottumwa. Give a solid 50 mile radius map in this town, and the players will find it.

If someone takes the time to work with the city to make it happen, help him. SHow up and support the cause, get local TAX PAYERS to show up, having 40 people from West Des Moines is not going to help, but have 5 tax paying residents show up and support, and you will be viewed stronger. Remember most of our courses are from tax dollars, that come from voter financed initiatives. The people that pass this, are voted on, and they need votes, so if you have 5 people that vote in favor of it, and 2 that are not, guess what happens....

Finally,

Yeah all people read the internet that are looking to get information. Whe you see people that have posted over 1000, 2000, 3000 posts and are spewing rhetoric that is not in a favorable light, you are hurting the entire organization.

So SPrague, you are an out of state tool with no plans to ever help Iowa disc golf, so stay in IL where you to can be govenor if you got a better hair cut! :o ow quit trying to play diplomat and go back to be a married man, don't you have some cookies to bake? (you coming to the Wide Open?)

Really, listen the people that play, but I think that the respect thing is earned, but also ruined in the internet. Messages lose their appeal at times, and you have to be mindful that typing at a machine is not like talking to a person.

There are many great people in the state of Iowa, just as they have tehir share of jerks. Its like disc golf, 95% of the disc golfers I meet are cool, I forget to tell people about the other 5%, and you all know why.

This is coming from an Am Player (my rating has been discussed in here) who has been playing pretty regularly since 1984. I have played over 380 courses, designed or help to design 9 courses, ran a Worlds, am helping run another, and raised over $500,000 for disc golf. I feel I am a little bit better than the average bear, and many of you know that I am also not about to forget to let you know it!!!

:D

I played Margo and lived to tell about it. THis weekend lets see if I get to play Walnut revisited and live to tell about it too!!!!!

Play nice with each other folks, this is the only sandbox we have to play in, and if you let your cat in it, we all have to look at what it does in the sand......

Disc Golf-we are like a small town in Iowa every weekend, playing for each other's gas money home, don't make it so you want to punch your neighbor....you go to jail....or Pella, which ever is easiest......DOH!
--
===o {>[]----

Jack Lowe
http://www.KCFDC.org
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"
jlowekc

Postby Cydisc » Mon May 18, 2009 2:20 pm

jlowekc wrote:PAY TO HAVE A DESIGNER BUILD IT.

Sage advice. I wish more people around here had that attitude.
Cydisc

Postby ghstinshll » Mon May 18, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm always in favor of delaying pads until the course has been played for at least a season. Play multiple natural tees and figure out where the best locations are before setting anything in stone.

that's a killer philosophy
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby jlowekc » Mon May 18, 2009 4:23 pm

ghstinshll wrote:

that's a killer philosophy

That is the best plan. I pretty much require it for any course that we (I)work on. you have to know where things play at, do as many temp eevnts as possible, using diffferent layouts is a must as well, get as many seasoned people to play the course, get feedback.

Don't believe me, ask some people about Cliff Drive over the last 4 years. The baskets have been in, moved, re numbered, added, taken away holes....the back nine will get more trees, but overall the course is now much more balanced, and present challenges in all variants of the game to each player.
--
===o {>[]----

Jack Lowe
http://www.KCFDC.org
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"
jlowekc

Postby irban » Mon May 18, 2009 10:13 pm

jlowekc wrote:this is the only sandbox we have to play in, and if you let your cat in it, we all have to look at what it does in the sand......

Really Dan, get the hell out of the sandbox!!
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

PreviousNext

Return to Ask the State Coordinator