Possible Carlisle course

Post questions and comments to Justin McLuen the Iowa State Coordinator

Moderator: Clue

Possible Carlisle course

Postby mad_chatter » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:11 am

I was googling Disc golf courses and read some minutes from the Carlisle Chamber of Commerce talking about a Disc gold course in North Park . Carlisle if you did'nt know is a town 17 miles south of Des Moines my best friend lives there too hope it really happens . I found out this really old news but here's the link its' http://www.carlisleiachamber.org/Decemb ... cutive.pdf
Last edited by mad_chatter on Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My real name is Mike : )
mad_chatter

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:05 am

Josh Ohnemus was working on this, but never got it done. He was responsible for raising $3,000 I think? He's off to college if I remember right. He had some money pledged, but not enough to get it approved so far.

Temp basket tourney to raise it?

I'm going to call the city this AM, as I used to do PC support for them when I was consulting...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:39 am

Just spoke with Jim Briseno, the park director for Carlisle.

He mentioned that the city set Josh up with a goal, btu never heard back from him, saw him @ board mtgs, etc... I asked him if the park dept would still be interested in seeing the project thruogh, and he answered positively. Instead of inundating him with questions, I asked him if I sent him my contact info. Then maybe he'd be willing to have me come address the board @ their next meeting and find out what their expectations & assumptions might be going forward... He said that sounded good.

If by ANY chance, anyone feels that this was a step in the wrong direction, let me know. If anyone else wants to champion this, let me know as well. I just simply wanted to use my relationship w/ the city (while a weak one) to feel them out & make a handoff if necessary.

I'll be finding out when their next meeting is by email. Let me know if anyone's interested in coming with!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:49 am

I went w/ the wife & kids last night to play @ the park in the Carlisle. It'll definitely fit a 9 holer. Further design & review to follow...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:00 am

Gary & I went on the next night, Nov 5th to really do the walk/design, and have a couple of options drawn out.

Park Board meeting is this Tuesday, Nov 18th. If there are any players from Carlisle who'd like to come show up to at least show support for a possible course then that'd be great. Nancy the Norwalk park director will be coming to show support as well. Need to ask her if she wants to address the board as well though. I'll be making a small presentation to the park board is all - I need to call Jim & let him know I'll make it this time, and ask him how they format their meetings & such. Then we'll be ready to rock and roll!

I'll find out what time & where, and get back to edit this....
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:05 pm

All,

I'm debating suggesting to the Carlisle Park Board that I'd like to put on a fund raising tourney in the Spring. Well, not debating any more!~

As long as the board ok's it - I'll need portable baskets. I should have one of my own again by that time, have one other offered. Will need 7 to lay out the 9 hole course that's proposed....
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Cydisc » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:24 pm

ghstinshll wrote:It'll definitely fit a 9 holer.

In the same sense that Windflower fits 12?
Cydisc

Postby 10up » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:40 pm

bah-zing
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:27 am

You mean small holes, or cramped layout?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby 10up » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:48 am

or in the; it's a dangerous, cramped, and bland course that does absolutely nothing to further the sport and in a variety of very likely situations can actually do more harm to the people who decide to play there (and those that just happen to be there) rather than driving 15 minutes to play on something well designed sense?

c'mon, which one?
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby SARG27044 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:55 am

i dont mind the course. it makes me feel good to shoot ten down every once in a while :lol:
SARG27044

Postby Single L » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:05 am

Ignore Mr. Negativity up there. He makes some good points about some of the design and safety issues, but overall it is a good course for beginners in a smaller community. I know for a fact that Norwalk has seen a boost in recreational players as well as semi-competitive players since the courses was installed. So I ask you how does this not grow the sport? I agree that the course in Norwalk will not advance the sport by any means, but it will certainly help grow the sport.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Cydisc » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:35 am

I just thought it would have served better as a traditional 9 hole course and avoided some of the conflicts with the skate park, shelter and pool.
Cydisc

Postby Single L » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:37 am

Cydisc wrote:I just thought it would have served better as a traditional 9 hole course and avoided some of the conflicts with the skate park, shelter and pool.

Agree 100%
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:43 am

10up wrote:or in the; it's a dangerous, cramped, and bland course that does absolutely nothing to further the sport and in a variety of very likely situations can actually do more harm to the people who decide to play there (and those that just happen to be there) rather than driving 15 minutes to play on something well designed sense?

c'mon, which one?

that's funny - because your mouth is dangerous to yourself, your style is cramped, and your comments are bland & worthless to furthering the sport. Good luck with your problems, and I'll take care of mine, k?
##39027
ghstinshll

Next

Return to Ask the State Coordinator