Work Night

Postby Kelly K » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:09 am

Sorry Luke, next time I'll have Jeff send out an email.

Last night Mark and I cut out the autumn olive on #7 and Kevin and Jeff loaded it onto the trailer and hauled it away.

#7 looks a lot better, and the left rough is now a lot nicer to errant discs.

Mark said he's goign to have to go back out there to cut out the stumps and then the mowing crew can start mowing the area we cleaned out.

I want to have a meeting at some point where all of the volunteers can get together and set up scheduled workdays at certain courses and talk about projects on our plate and how to best tackle those.
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:49 pm

This coming Monday, Labor Day, September 1st

We will be having an Iowa City Disc Golf League MEETING.
Please plan on meeting at the new pavilion at the Peninsula 5:30 pm. There are not yet picnic tables, so bring something to sit on.

Please think of things you might like to discuss regarding our courses, worknights, budget/funds, volunteering, possible new course locations, fixing/rebuilding the message board for Pen, etc...

We would like to come up with a set schedule for worknights (set dates/courses) instead of the weekly thing. The weekly worknights worked well when we had a TON of things to do, but now that we are down to minute details of turkey and sugar, we will be focusing on Peninsula, but weekly probably won't be necessary considering the course is closed until further notice. Also we could delegate certain things from different course lists of things to do, so a worknight isn't necessary if people want to do things on their own time, as long as they get done and done right.

See ya monday night!
Kelly K

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:29 am

Hey everyone!

It’s time to get the work crew geared up again. September 13th and 14th Iowa City & Cedar Rapids will be hosting the Iowa State Championships and on the 14th, the Turkey Creek and Sugar Bottom courses will be used for the tournament. Turkey Creek is in need of some TLC to get ready for the tournament so we will be having a work night next Monday 9/8 starting at 5:30 PM. Bring work gloves, loppers, and lots of friends. If you can’t make it at 5:30, come when you can for as long as you can.

Starting 9/15, we will begin the clean up activities at the Peninsula DGC at 5:30 PM. The City hasn’t mowed in the woods since the flooding so wear long pants. We’ll need chain saws, loppers, shovels, and a lot more friends. We will have regularly scheduled work nights at the Peninsula every other Monday (9/15, 9/29, 10/13) until daylight savings time ends or it gets too dark too early. At that time we’ll switch to Saturday mornings.

Have you noticed that we need more helpers? We’ve lost 5 faithful workers to graduation so please recruit anyone you can to come help out. Whenever you go play a round, ask the other players around you if they can help for an hour or so on the work nights even if you can’t make it to the work night. You can help by getting the word out.

I hope we can count on everyone to put in some time to help maintain our great courses!

Jeff.
prodiscgolf

Postby Kelly K » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:50 pm

do you think i need to call people on the phone for turkey's worknight? I don't mind, and that'd be the only way i can contribute since I have to work monday night... I guess the last time I played turkey I didn't see anything that would require a 15-20 person worknight... and since we can't get woodchips I don't really see the need to have inexperienced workers chopping things down w/o having one of us telling them exactly what to do...

I do plan (this Sunday) to sit out at turkey and get random new people to give me their email addresses so we can get a list of people who may fill our void when it comes to the Peninsula. I think it'd be a good idea to get a nice detailed hole-by-hole list ready for the Pen for when those worknights start, so if we do get some new faces to come out we can pair them w/ regular volunteers and send them out on holes...

Let me know about calling people for this coming monday at turkey.
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:21 pm

Well, like I said I would, I sat at Turkey Creek from 11-1 today and got 8 people to give me their email address so we can send out information about worknights/days.

I had two people say they'd be able to help right away and two others said they'd be able to help once we move it to Saturdays.

i didn't get any commitments from the others, but they were interested enough to give me their email address, so we have that going for us!!!

Let's get the Peninsula back open and running!!!

Kelly
Kelly K

Worknight tonight postponed to Wednesday

Postby prodiscgolf » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:41 pm

The weather’s not looking good for tonight so Kevin, Brent, and Mark are planning to be out at Turkey Creek this Wednesday at 6:00 PM to do some work on the course. Their list includes cleaning up the bottle tops between #4 & #5, string trimming #5’s fairway, cleaning off #14’s tee pad, and general clean up around the course. Feel free to join them if you can.

Next Monday at 5:30 PM we will begin cleaning up the Peninsula DGC. If you can bring a chain saw, it will be put to good use. Otherwise, work gloves, loppers, and a shovel or two would be great.
prodiscgolf

Postby Kelly K » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:30 pm

This Monday, Sept. 15, we will be meeting at Peninsula to start some flood damage control. Please wear long pants, bring workgloves, and any chainsaws/loppers/weedeaters that you may have. We really need as many people to help with this project as possible.

We will be meeting at the new pavillion at 5:45.

Hope to see some new faces and hope to get peninsula back open soon!!!

Kelly
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:30 am

BUMP, see message above.

We'd really like to have a crew tonight for the first worknight back at the Peninsula to clean up the flood damage.

Please come out if you possibly can!
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:46 am

We had a nice turnout last night, Jeff Harper, Jeff Rubel, Brent, Mark, Jimmy and I worked on holes 2-9. Without chainsaws, Jeff R chopped down some trees with an axe. Aside from the HUGE trees down on #5-6 we pretty much got holes 2-9 cleared up and ready to be mowed or string trimmed (whichever comes first).

Jeff H is going to be talking with the city to find out how soon they can come get those trees out of there and how soon they can come mow.

If anyone WANTS to have a worknight next monday, send me a message and we'll see what we can do. We are now scheduling them every other Monday to see if we can get more participants when we do have a worknight, and to not overload or burn anyone out.

We still have to tackle holes 1, 10-18. The back nine we're assuming is going to need the MOST work, and we really could go back through 2-9 with chainsaws when we get kevin back, mark's fixed, and brad, to clean up the trees we want the city to cut out. Also we could use a rake and a wheelbarrow to get rid of the twiggy piles left by the flood.

We won't be moving the baskets back to their original back nine holes until the back nine is playable, and that probably won't be happening before november.

If anyone wants to go do work on their own time: At Peninsula, the wooded holes 2-10 can always be weedeated, no need to ever ask about that. twiggy piles of sticks that could be raked and moved on #4 (on left near left basket placement) and #7 (left). Also at Sugar, #16's steps going down off the tee really could be weedeated and cleaned up.

In the far future, we will need to landscape #5 short tee and backfill the sinkholes by #5 and #6.

We'll be meeting at the shelter at the Peninsula Monday, Sept 29th at 5:30. Worknights are shorter now b/c of daylight, so if you can spare 1 1/2-2 hours, please come out!
Kelly K

Postby prodiscgolf » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:31 am

Thanks Kelly for the recap. We did get a lot done without the help of a chainsaw. The last time I talked to the City they said that it would be November before they could help with the large trees. I'll check again when I ask if they can mow 1-10 and 18.

Mark and I walked 10-14 and there's a lot of tree material to move on #12. I guess we didn't really walk #11 after we turned the corner towards #12 so there may be work to be done on that hole. There's a whole lot of sand on the tees of #13 that will have to be moved, but I'm going to ask if the City can help with that - it will require a skid loader to get it done the most efficiently. The rest of 13 looked okay, but again there's some sand that may need to be moved. #14's tee areas need to be trimmed out. We'll probably have to remove a couple willows to make them playable. When I walked out to #16 last time, the long pad needs to be either moved or secured with more dirt/sand on the river side. The bank washed away up to the back corner of the pad. The Red tee sign needs to be reinstalled too.

Here's what I think the City needs to do about trees: #2 has a large tree between the fairways that probably needs to be cut to ground level; #5 has two oaks across the front of the fairway - the trunks need to be cut to open the fairway back up; #6 has a large oak that fell across the path to the blue tee and a cluster of branches around the red tee.
prodiscgolf

Postby Kelly K » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:11 am

Tonight we're having a worknight at Peninsula, 5:30. We will be working on 1-10 if you are running late.

Hope to see lots of people there!

(If it's raining we will NOT have the worknight, if it's sprinkling and not looking to rain much more than a sprinkle, I will be there :D)

I can't freaking wait to play the Peninsula again, and I know the rest of the ICDGL is really looking forward to getting this course cleaned up so we can all play. Please, if you have free time tonight, stop on out.

Like said in another thread, we will be moving workdays to Saturday mornings shortly.
Last edited by Kelly K on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly K

Postby prodiscgolf » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:49 pm

FYI We won't be working on the back 9 until we get the front cleaned up some more. The goal is to get holes 1-10 and 18 ready to play and we will only have about an hour and a half of daylight to work with. Wear long pants. Bring gloves, chainsaws, string trimmers, loppers, shovels, and wheelbarrows if you have them. From what Kevin has told me, holes 1-6 are already string trimmed and they will continue to trim starting at hole 7 tonight. Hole 8 still has some large tree pieces to move after they get cut up and there are some trees we’d like to remove to help the red fairway.

If that all gets done, we’ll start to work on holes 11 thru 13. There is a lot of tree material to move off to the side of the fairways that can be carried off. If there’s time, hole 13’s two tee pads are under a couple feet of sand and we’d like to move that sand to the trail from 12 where the water sat so we can make a walkway that will be dry.

We’ll discuss whether another Monday night work night is feasible after tonight. We may need to move to Saturdays sooner because of available daylight.
prodiscgolf

Postby Kelly K » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:12 pm

when do we want to start working on Saturdays? i'm out for this coming one, but starting the 18th, i'm all for it. anyone else?
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:45 pm

does anyone want to have workdays on saturdays? do we want to work on the peninsula and get it back up and running? i'm still waiting for people to tell me what they want to do, or else we will not have a workday this week... work with me here people, please! :)
Kelly K

Postby prodiscgolf » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 pm

I'd like to start Saturday workdays too now that I'm back from Texas. I'm available this Saturday morning 10/18, but will not be the following one 10/25. I'll send out an e-mail to the list tomorrow morning to see who we can enlist.
prodiscgolf

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City Disc Golf Club