Ewing Baskets Poll

My opinion of the Ewing baskets is that they should be:

modified with O Rings (disconnect the inner and outer chains)
7%
modified with the cable (current fix)
26%
left alone (remove the cable)
15%
replaced with better baskets
52%

Total votes : 27

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:19 am

yeah, object golf on a championship course is a great answer. Or why not get some cone baskets?

Ewing is one of IA's (maybe even the midwest's) premier courses, and tournament players definately have a certain expectation of basket quality, and the soft touch's aren't within that level of expectation. Name one other course, that is a championship course, that has sub-standard baskets. How would the tone poles work out at USDGC? Or maybe I should say, how would soft touchs go over there? I'd be willing to bet that there would be lots of bitchin'.

Sure, if you putt a certain way, they catch just fine, and everyone is subject to that in competition, which is fair, but my point all along is, why should there be that factor on a course like that? There shouldn't. On a course like that, you cater to the touring players. Courses that aren't used for competition regularly, it doesn't really matter, even to me.
GDL17921

Postby SpikeHyzer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:29 am

grodney wrote:
SpikeHyzer wrote:I can definitely say that I saw a lot of putts that should have stuck, but didn't.

Perhaps you meant to say "I saw a lot of putts that should have been putted better, but weren't.".

I mean, sheesh, why not just put in tone poles?

Actually, I would not. I saw plenty of dead center putts get held up by the cable and get the "chain sway" back out.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby grodney » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:12 am

Guess they weren't thrown the right speed. Or the right height. For those baskets.
grodney

Postby Single L » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:13 pm

GDL17921 wrote:yeah, object golf on a championship course is a great answer. Or why not get some cone baskets?

Big fan of the Cone Basket, nothing says championship quality like some plastic on plastic action. :lol:

I agree Champion courses need, top notch equipment.

"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby grodney » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:59 pm

GDL17921 wrote: On a course like [Ewing], you cater to the touring players.

Why?

Or as Nancy Kerrigan would say "Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????".
grodney

Postby Single L » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:51 pm

There are few tourneys held at Ewing, but the ones held are fairly large (Challenge, Open, the first doubles tourney of the year). Even if the Challenge was the only tournament held there all year, you need the best equipment for an A-tier or NT (2005).

Quality course = Quality events = needs Quality equipment
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Cydisc » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:23 pm

porkchop wrote:There are few tourneys held at Ewing, but the ones held are fairly large (Challenge, Open, the first doubles tourney of the year). Even if the Challenge was the only tournament held there all year, you need the best equipment for an A-tier or NT (2005).

Quality course = Quality events = needs Quality equipment

Speaking of which... were there complaints about the Ewing baskets during Worlds?
Cydisc

Postby 10up » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:30 pm

yeah dude... I bitched up a storm. :roll:
10up

Postby irban » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:45 pm

I was one of the TDs there most of the week, and I heard a few comments, mainly from one group of masters. Voakes and Greenwell specifically complained that the chains were too loose and hung too close to the outside edge. They suggested we tighten them in. Really I don't think it was too much of an issue.

It seems like the Ewing chain controversy has built over time. As more people hear there is a problem with the chains, more people notice it.

Also, I don't see my preferred solution listed. I think we should reconfigure the chains to match a standard mach V. I didn't think they had an additional ring. I may be wrong.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:46 pm

10up wrote:yeah dude... I bitched up a storm. :roll:
From Germany?
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby 10up » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:04 pm

good point...

I've been caught, I didn't even know what disc golf was in '04. But if I had, I would've been pissed at Ewing. :evil:
10up

Postby Cydisc » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:30 pm

I was putting quite well at Ewing tonight. Love those baskets. I don't know what the fuss is about.
Cydisc

Postby Joe Cool » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:32 pm

I don't think they need to be pulled in lieu of newer so I can go to the brand new course in DSM a year from now and find used baskets that most people seem to hate.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
Joe Cool

Previous

Return to Des Moines - Ewing Park