New Bridge

New Bridge

Postby Peil » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:50 pm

I tried to squeeze in a quick round here on Saturday and it looks like they have purchased a very nice looking bridge for near hole 6. That means no more backtracking across hole 5. The bridge is not installed yet but it will be a very nice addition to the course once it is.
Peil

Postby calvarycoffee » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:37 am

nice,

no more head-scratching between holes. . .
calvarycoffee

Postby Peil » Tue May 15, 2007 8:05 am

Here's an article that appeared in yesterday's Globe Gazette about the new bridge:

Boy Scouts install bridge in Hampton
By DICK JOHNSON, Of The Globe Gazette

HAMPTON — Plan A was for the Boy Scouts from Troop 120 in Hampton to help set up a wooden bridge over Squaw Creek in East Park.

Eventually they chose Plan B: a nice big steel span.

Same sweet shortcut across the creek. Same pride in accomplishment for the young men.

“I’m glad to see it go in,” said 14-year-old Quinn Wood as the new bridge — featuring grain bin flooring from Sukup Manufacturing and trusses from the old Sheffield-Chapin/Meservey-Thornton High School — was set in place Friday. “It’s pretty cool to know that I made something that people are going to use every day.”

“It sure is going to help a lot of people,” said Michael Koath, also 14.

Project planning began more than a year ago. Scouts painted the bridge last fall. They also helped with the fencing, and setting pillars and cement.

Placement was postponed in March thanks to a monster blizzard.

Finally, on sunny Friday, the 4-foot-wide, 62-foot-long, 8,000-pound green bridge was lowered by a crane operator from North Central Millwright in Hampton.

“I think it’s a terrific addition to the community,” Hampton City Councilman Craig Eckhardt said. “It’s going to benefit a lot of people.”

Such community service work helps the Scouts advance in rank. It also enhances East Park — the home of soccer fields and a nine-hole disc golf course added last year by the Hampton Noon Rotary Club.

“I think it’s great,” Scoutmaster Russell Wood said. “It shows the value of having Scouting in the community, that they’re willing to provide community service.”

Franklin County, the city of Hampton and several area businesses donated time and material for the project.

Darin Lamos, 14, hopes to add lights to the side of the bridge (and refinish a park shelter) by his 15th birthday in August as part of his Eagle Scout project.
Peil

Postby charles_city_biker » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:31 pm

Is this a good course. I've been here once for a family event.
charles_city_biker

Postby bergdawg » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:08 pm

what does the 4 way rotary test dgc mean?
bergdawg

Postby Peil » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:44 pm

bergdawg wrote:what does the 4 way rotary test dgc mean?

This course was installed by the Hampton Rotary club. The 4-Way Test is one of the things they believe in. The 4-Way Test is:

Of the things we think, say or do
1. Is it the TRUTH?
2. Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3. Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4. Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?

That's about all I could find with a quick search of the Internets.
Peil

Postby claring » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:13 pm

charles_city_biker wrote:Is this a good course. I've been here once for a family event.

Mikal and I stopped today and played a quick round.

What is up with hole two?

Over all the course was nice but very short.
claring

Postby Peil » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:15 pm

claring wrote:Mikal and I stopped today and played a quick round.

What is up with hole two?

Over all the course was nice but very short.

There used to be a bridge for crossing hole 2 but it got washed away last year. Makes for a long walk to the basket. As far as the design on hole 2, I'm not really sure.
Peil

Return to Hampton - Hampton Rotary 4-Way Test DGC