Holes 16 & 17

Holes 16 & 17

Postby bgdavis » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:38 pm

I played this course for the first time last weekend. I hadn't heard about it until one of my neighbors mentioned it. I was pleasantly surprised to find I have a new course just a short distance from my house near Viola Gibson Elementary.

Overall, I like the course. Most of the holes seems to be laid out intuitively. And it is more open like most of the courses I prefer to play.

I was slightly confused by the orange/yellow basket markers on the tee descriptions. Do the baskets get moved at times? On Sunday, most of the baskets seemed to be in the orange positions. However, at least 1 of them (#6?) was in a yellow position.

I was thoroughly confused by holes #16 & #17. On #16, the tee marker describing the 2 possible basket positions showed that it should be fairly straight ahead, possibly along the marsh area on the left side of the fairway. However, in that area there was no basket. In addition, the tee for #17 is across from the marshy area with no obvious route. I ended up hiking around the marsh, up the #17 fairway to reach the tee, at which point I then found the basket for #16 buried under a dense group of trees behind it. Is this the real #16 basket location? If so, how are we supposed to reach it thru the marsh and trees without perhaps laying up and crossing over into the #17 fairway? Also, are there plans to build a bridge to cross the marsh, or are we expected to hike all the way back and around crossing the #17 fairway?

As for #17, it seems a bit more logical, but it too has some issues. Aiming directly at the basket from the cement tee slab is not possible due to some trees. The options appear to be throwing left over the marsh and hoping you clear it, or taking the narrow right side of the fairway between the marsh and the soccer fields. Unfortunately, the hillside against the soccer fields is somewhat unstable and shows signs of erosion. It would be rather easy to trip on some of these if you're not careful. Players landing there with less than perfect drives may also find throwing from this hillside to be rather awkwark. I can easily foresee an ankle injury coming from that terrain.

Due to the issues on these two holes, for now I'm going to be skipping those two holes and proceeding directly from #15 to #18. I'd prefer to see the basket for #16 moved back toward the end of the main #16 fairway, and then possibly a bridge added to cross over the marsh to the #17 tee. What are the plans for those two holes?
bgdavis

Postby Grimm » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:10 pm

16 and 17 are two of the best holes on that course. IMO 16 is the best hole. 16 is mostly straight ahead with a gentle hyzer. The hole is clearly visible from the walking path if you walk 15 feet in front of the teepad.
As for 17, aiming directly at the basket is not always an option, it helps you learn different types of throws. I don't know what you mean by the narrow right side because there is a huge soccer field with nothing but light poles and goals in your way. "Players landing there with less than perfect drives" find up shots difficult, isn't that the point by making the 2nd shot harder?
Grimm

Postby bgdavis » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:51 pm

Grimm45321 wrote: IMO 16 is the best hole. 16 is mostly straight ahead with a gentle hyzer. The hole is clearly visible from the walking path if you walk 15 feet in front of the teepad.

We must be talking about a different basket location. On #16, the basket was not visible until walking all the way around to the #17 teebox. It was located a ways south of #17's teebox, and tucked behind a semi-circle of trees. That basket location did not correspond to the #16 tee's course indicator either, so I'm wondering if perhaps the basket had been moved back and across the swamp by mistake on the day I played? Time for some crude graphics...

North <---> South

================ Soccer Fields =================
---------------------- #17 fairway --------- [#17 teebox] ---- #16 basket
---------------------- T Trees TXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTTTTT Trees TTTTT
#17 basket --- T Trees TXXXXXXXXXXX MARSH XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[#16 teebox] ------------ #16 fairway ------------ No basket

By #16 teebox graphic, the basket should be roughly straight ahead of the #16 teebox, but that's not where it was located last Sunday.

Assuming the basket is supposed to be straight ahead from the #16 teebox, how are we supposed to cross that marshy area to get to #17's tee? There isn't a path or a bridge, and there's about 20 to 30 feet of marsh to traverse at the narrowest point. Are we expected to hike back to the #16 tee and go around it, and then walk up the #17 fairway?

I don't know what you mean by the narrow right side because there is a huge soccer field with nothing but light poles and goals in your way.

At times those soccer fields will be in use, at which point I doubt they should be considered as part of the fairway. Also, I wasn't sure if they might also be considered out of bounds based on how the description back at the tee was illustrated.

find up shots difficult, isn't that the point by making the 2nd shot harder?
My point is that the ground along parts of that slope is loose in some spots and very uneven due to erosion. A fellow golfer almost twisted an ankle just walking to their disk along there. The hole/dip they awkwardly stepped in was obscured by some longer grass.
bgdavis

Postby DragonGT83 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:14 am

is a lil hard to find where #16 basket is when your first playing it. i usually lay up and throw my second shot acoss the marsh crap and putt in for 3. there are a few different ways of crossing all the crap too instead of walking all the way around. just gotta explore the area a lil.
DragonGT83

Postby Abe Froman » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:49 am

when the holes were dug for the basket locations and the tee signs there was a signifigant ammount of wet land and a huge dirt mound where the straight position was to be located on hole 16. the only pin placement for 16 is where it is now, tucked in the trees to the left about 300 ft. if you're scared to go for it, then lay up and hit your 3. confucious say:it's always a good idea to look at the basket locations before you throw your drive.
Abe Froman

Postby peyton » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:55 am

The sign is wrong on #16. The signs were completed months ahead of installing the baskets. The marsh was never there before this year and doesn't seem to want to leave either. We will build a crossing sometime in the near future. You can see the basket by just stepping to the side of #16's tee pad. Best way to cross is go straight ahead over the small hill and come from the south to the pin. There is a short placement for 16 and will be in that position next week.
Hole 17 is fine. Sorry but playing from less than perfect stances is half of disc golf. The fairway is huge compared to fairways in any of the other courses nearby.
peyton

Postby AO » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:26 pm

I think the course in general needs to loose a few trees.
AO

Postby Captain » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:22 am

AO wrote:I think the course in general needs to loose a few trees.

I think you mean "lose"
Captain

Postby bgdavis » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:35 pm

peyton wrote:We will build a crossing sometime in the near future.

That's great news. The last 2 times I have played it was extremely muddy in the marsh. There were signs that some players had trekked thru the muck, but I prefer to stay out of it.

Now that I know where the basket it, it does make sense to throw straight, laying up and then taking the 2nd shot across.

Best way to cross is go straight ahead over the small hill and come from the south to the pin

I didn't see a path there, but I'll try to look for one next time I play.

Hole 17 is fine. Sorry but playing from less than perfect stances is half of disc golf. The fairway is huge compared to fairways in any of the other courses nearby.

I think people are misunderstanding my concern. I personally think that #17 is ok. However, having witnessed someone almost twisting/breaking an ankle on a hidden depression along the hill makes me concerned that it could easily happen to someone else. It might be nice to fix a couple of the the erosion spots or mark them somehow.
bgdavis

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:55 am

bgdavis wrote: I personally think that #17 is ok. However, having witnessed someone almost twisting/breaking an ankle on a hidden depression along the hill makes me concerned that it could easily happen to someone else. It might be nice to fix a couple of the the erosion spots or mark them somehow.

or just throw from the teepad and dont foot fault and you should be fine. feel free to go fill in the hole on your free time. countless hours of work by multiple people were spent making and maintaining the courses in our area. if there is time for suggestions, there is time for work
Abe Froman

Return to Hiawatha - Fay Clark