Peninsula Park DGC CLOSED until further notice

Postby OU812_LukeS » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:36 am

ajordanpippenfan wrote:wish i would have known this course was considered closed.

i hated this course. i went out of my way to play it and my buddy and i left after 11 holes. it looked like, and it is apparently true, that this course hasn't been touched in months.

totally disappointed.

It's a great course, you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. This piece of land took a direct hit from the floods. It will take our volunteer group a little while to clean it up, you're welcome to join us.
"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
OU812_LukeS

Postby ghstinshll » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:17 pm

ajordanpippenfan wrote:
The Donator wrote:
ajordanpippenfan wrote:wish i would have known this course was considered closed.

was i seriously supposed to know that this course was closed? i'm not a lifer, i just enjoy playing disc golf. just not at that course.

I'm not one to rip on people, but:

1) If you have 259 posts, you obviously know this resource is here, use it to research courses once in a while, esp when traveling (i know all about that - w/ traveling around the country for work & playing on short notice when I go)

2) If you lived in IOWA, in 2008, and noticed that it ummm... what was it? Oh yeah, it rained a little and washed out half the state, and seeing the river right next to the park w/ no maintenance - I'd think it safe to say that "gee, I wonder if the floods had anything to do with this not being kept up. gee, I bet the cityhas been too busy to work on what otherwise might be considered a really nice course..."

3) think to yourself "hmm, maybe I ought to come back after a while later to give this course a second chance some day. There's GOT to be a good reason why it's in this kind of shape. Wasn't it new last year? It would have to have some good reason why it looks this way right now"

Just a thought... :twisted: :evil: :roll:
##39027
ghstinshll

Anyone see that new shelter?

Postby OU812_LukeS » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:10 pm

Maybe someone posted this already but the City of Iowa City constructed a nice shelter down there, and they poured the pad today I think, and back-filled it too. It looks great. I went to Peninsula to check it out.

The grass on the fairways is no longer than what Peninsula regulars are accustomed to, but the interior fairways are indeed "monstrously" long.

The back nine are an interesting mess. I think the floodwater moving through there under high pressure actually cleared some stuff away for us...for example, hole #13's fairway is now mostly sand, and the long grass that used to collect discs at 2'o'clock off either pad is now buried beneath this sand. The same is true for the left rough between the fairway and the river; a lot of stuff has been moved. Of course, the bottleneck up by the water station has some new debris, including the remnants of a wooden foot bridge that was washed away from who knows where all the way down here. Any guesses?

#13's long fairway is also mostly sand now. #14 has a sand bar in the middle of it, and a huge fallen tree was carried over to the teebox area so we may have to move that somehow.

That's all I got to look at. I'm eager to get back in there and start cleaning so we can play the darn thing again...
OU812_LukeS

Postby Captain » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:04 am

Harper is notifying/asking the city that we would like to get in there to start working on the course rebuild. Jeff has walked the front nine and said that there are least 5-6 large trees that have fallen and will need to be removed.

Good to hear that 13 is not permanently under water. Hopefully the course stays in tact and we won't have to add any new holes or redesign some holes.

PS-- I lost an orange Valk in the #5 long fairway in April. If it's still there, I would love to have it back. :lol: :lol: :lol: yea right
Captain

Oh the horror!

Postby prodiscgolf » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:26 pm

I just received this message from Terry Trueblood, the Park & Rec Director:

Jeff,

Bad news . . . . the disc golf kiosk was destroyed sometime last night / early morning. We suspect it was vandalism, possibly even blown up. It could, however, have been lightning, although we doubt it. The Police Department is investigating it. Our guys are picking up any salvageable pieces.

Terry

If anyone hears anything about what may have happened, please let me or the Iowa City Police know. I had just put out signs indicating the course was closed indefinitely. Any correlation?

We have been given the green light to get back out there and start the clean up process on the fairways. The shelter was completed earlier this week and it looks nice. We will be scheduling more work nights and will let you all know when they will be both on here and by my e-mail list.
prodiscgolf

Postby 3x state champ runner up » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:31 pm

i can't believe somebody blew that up! just think how loud that would have had to been! stupid punks
Adding up scores after league... Greco-"Kerri, you shot 11 up" Kerri- "oh a 65 isn't bad" Greco-"that was the back nine"
3x state champ runner up

Postby The Donator » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:13 pm

Blew up wtf??? That doesnt at all seem like the type of neighborhood that teenage kids would live around to do something like that....way too far away for any students to do something like that unless they drove a car there late at night. Sad to hear. Could have been lightning as there was a nasty storm last night and there would be burn marks on the wood.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby prodiscgolf » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:28 pm

We had graffiti on tee pads early last year so there has been vandalism down there before.
prodiscgolf

Postby Kelly K » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:29 pm

Last edited by Kelly K on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly K

Postby Kelly K » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:30 pm

i went out there and took pictures. I also picked up the sweet map corey had made for the board and am in possession of it (it was not ruined at all). Nothing really looked burnt, didn't look like there was a fire of any sort, imo.

http://www.discgolfersr.us/photo/photo/ ... ntext=user
Kelly K

Postby The Donator » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:36 pm

prodiscgolf wrote:We had graffiti on tee pads early last year so there has been vandalism down there before.

That is true. The storm could easily be an excuse for the vandals now that i think about it. Still ridiculous.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby cmlasley » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:44 pm

Son of a . . . that is infuriating.
Morgan Lasley

When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley

Postby OU812_LukeS » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:55 pm

I hope that was lightning. It was really thundering pretty hard last night.
OU812_LukeS

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:35 am

looks more like a ball bat to me.
GDL17921

Postby cmlasley » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:38 am

GDL17921 wrote:looks more like a ball bat to me.

I think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to find someone who could shred one of those interior 4x4s with a ball bat, especially with that side sort of intact.
Morgan Lasley

When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley

PreviousNext

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park