Peninsula Park DGC CLOSED until further notice

Peninsula Park DGC CLOSED until further notice

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:07 am

The Park & Rec Director just send me an e-mail advising me that the course will be closed until further notice because of the flooding. At some time in the future, we'll need volunteers to help clean up. I feel that there are more important things to clean up now.

He also indicated that we shouldn't be surprised if the dog park opens before the DG course. The dog park is on slightly higher ground.
prodiscgolf

Update

Postby prodiscgolf » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:26 am

The course is still considered closed. It's a mess out there. Here are my initial findings from walking around yesterday:

The tee sign on #16 Red appears to be missing from the Peninsula DG Course, but all the other hardware is still there including the red posts marking the pin locations. Some will need to be straightened, but they didn't disappear. There's a chance that 2 directional signs may be missing (4x4x8' with directional arrows) out by #15. I couldn't get close enough to see them. The tee pads out on #13, #14 and #16 are still where they were, but without being able to get to them, I don't know how playable they are.

To make the part of the course in the woods playable again some trees need to be removed. From my quick walk around, I counted 7 large trees (one foot in diameter or bigger) and 5 smaller ones that have either fallen into fairways or across the paths between holes or have slumped over. A few of those may be too big for us to take care of, especially near #5's tee. I don't know what it will take to make holes 12-16 playable again. The river started to make a channel through that area.

Thankfully we moved the baskets away from the holes that the current during the flooding was the worst. The ones I saw all looked very good.

The Park & Rec haven't mowed out there so even if you wanted to play, it wouldn't be a fun experience. I'm not saying they should mow out there either - there's more important stuff in town to concentrate on.
prodiscgolf

Postby ajordanpippenfan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:01 am

wish i would have known this course was considered closed.

i hated this course. i went out of my way to play it and my buddy and i left after 11 holes. it looked like, and it is apparently true, that this course hasn't been touched in months.

totally disappointed.
One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do.
Author: Henry Ford
ajordanpippenfan

Postby Orange Guy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:19 am

prodiscgolf at Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:26 am wrote:The course is still considered closed.

ajordanpippenfan at Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:01 am wrote:wish i would have known this course was considered closed.

:?:
Orange Guy

Postby ajordanpippenfan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:47 am

explanation.

didn't get on sunday.
had no power from monday thru thursday.
power went back out again friday morning.

left friday afternoon.
played it saturday evening.
:lol: :D
One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do.
ajordanpippenfan

Postby claya » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:03 pm

You know there was a flood right?
claya

Postby The Donator » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:33 pm

ajordanpippenfan wrote:wish i would have known this course was considered closed.

Did you really look at the title of this thread and then post this and then rip on the course? GTFO
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:49 pm

claya wrote:You know there was a flood right?

When was this?
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby NomadicThrower85 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:21 pm

I'll be in Iowa City this saturday, should I assume it's back open?
NomadicThrower85

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:34 pm

I wouldn't.
GDL17921

Postby IHearChains » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:39 pm

NomadicThrower85 wrote:I'll be in Iowa City this saturday, should I assume it's back open?

As far as I know the baskets from the floodplain area are still in temp placements on the upper part of the course. High grass and weeds were really rough and not much fun last time I was out there. That's been awhile, and I heard there's been no mowing since then either. It may or may not be officially "open" but whether you consider it "playable" is an entirely different question.
IHearChains

Postby NomadicThrower85 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Gotcha, thanks for the update. I'll pretty much play anything that's not underwater. Prospect Park in Moline is still in pretty bad shape with trees all over the place and such, and I still throw there. The baskets in a temp placement could prove to be difficult to overcome though. Sounds like you still played though, just not the to the holes in the flood plain? Maybe I'm not understanding the temp positions though, I thought if they're in a temp position they're not set up in line with a tee box and therefore can't use 'em.
NomadicThrower85

Postby ajordanpippenfan » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:53 pm

The Donator wrote:
ajordanpippenfan wrote:wish i would have known this course was considered closed.

Did you really look at the title of this thread and then post this and then rip on the course? GTFO

seriously?! i was in iowa city and had previously heard this was a good course. i went to play it and there was no way to know that this course was closed.

i played the worst course i have ever seen and came home. wanted to click on peninsula's link, seeing that it is in iowa and this is iowadg.com.

was i seriously supposed to know that this course was closed? i'm not a lifer, i just enjoy playing disc golf. just not at that course.

if it was closed, couldn't there have been a sign, possibly, that said it? or something, anything?
ajordanpippenfan

Postby prodiscgolf » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:40 am

Since the monstrously tall grass isn't enough of a deterrent, I'll put out signs when I get a chance. I have a deck to stain today though.

I sent an update to the PDGA early this past week to include a message on the course listing that it's closed, but apparently everyone's in Michigan and unable to post updates until that little tourney's over.

There will be opportunities to help clean up the downed trees when we're told we can resume work out there in September or October. I hope to see all of the locals out there to help. We've had many from our original crew move away after they finished school. Stay tuned for work day notices.
prodiscgolf

Postby NomadicThrower85 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:42 pm

Well it turns out it was Turkey Creek I got directions to, didn't realize that's what it was untill I got up there and saw a map of the area and other courses. TC was a great course though, glad I got confused!
NomadicThrower85

Next

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park