2006 Leagues

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

2006 Leagues

Postby grodney » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:02 am

How many people did you average at league this year? Some of the early numbers were big and amazing.

How did that handicap league (Thursdays?) turn out? How many people showed? How did it work? Peoples' thoughts? Need teaking? Or abandoning?
grodney

Postby shane » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:59 am

Whats up Rodney? I just wanted to say thanks real quick again.I can actually email you the final page from the Thursay night Throwdown. As far as abondoning it I don't think so. Were actually starting a winter league with the same format on the 18th. It will be every Sat. at 11:00 am at Grandview. I've heard a lot of good feedback and people were requesting that we do some more.
The one thing I did notice, I was giving up to 23 strokes if needed and it didn't seem like it was enough for some players, like younger kids or so on. f=For the most part it seemed to keep everyone pretty competive.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby irban » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:12 pm

2006 league averages...
Doubles: 91.6!
Singles: 67.2
Overall: 78.1

for comparison,

2005 averages...
Doubles 68.6
Singles 65.7
Overall 67.0

For 2004 I don't have the doubles here at work, but the singles average was 59.8.

Trending upward as you can see, particularly in doubles.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Clue » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:47 pm

This was a fairly big topic at the last meeting. It sounds like the club is going to expand to two nights, probably one doubles night and one singles night. Shane will probably run the handicap league and there will probably be a Sunday mini.

One of the suggestions I'm going to make is to keep the doubles league at the same course for a month while the singles league would be at another course. There are multiple advantages to this. Obviously it's easier to remember where it is each week, but more importantly it allows us to post messages at the courses that we *invade* each week so casual players won't be blindsided with massive course takeovers.
Clue

Postby actifed » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:52 pm

Just in following Clue's line of thought...we're still looking for some ideas of what people want. Obviously we're more likely to get 'hardcore' opinions here, but it's worth a shot anyway.
Also, with the *invade* issue. Is there some way we can communicate the league schedule (to non league/casual players) more effectively?
actifed

Postby Cydisc » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:58 pm

How about a separate league at each course? That should spread the crowd out among more courses and allow those who can't make it on Tuesday to get to a league that fits their schedule. Also, it will allow Des Moines people to get to the Ames league more often than never.
Cydisc

Postby Clue » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:52 pm

cydisc11895 wrote:Also, it will allow Des Moines people to get to the Ames league more often than never.

I can't believe you have the nerve to promote your little Ames league in the DM section. I'm pretty sure there is a more appropriate thread for your little self promotion. Who do you think you are, Lance Hanson? Why not just make a bunch of *Ames Hunt* stickers and litter them all over Des Moines? Idiot.
Clue

Postby daltonoutdoors » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:19 pm

Did you two break-up?

I might as well forget about trying to play softball. I like two nights of League idea.

Friday night --might spread out the field some, allow people to relax a little rather than worry about going to work the next day. However, those traveling out of town for tournaments would not be able to do this every week. If the league scores are ongoing, unlike Shane's, than you feel obligated to come every night. Friday night would be a great night for Shane's because it will still attract a lot of people and will allow for a crowd not to worry about the following day.

If Ames is Monday or Wednesday some of us MIGHT crash that party.
DSM singles Tuesday
DSM double Thursday
Shane Friday
Kick Clue's butt in pool on Saturday
Mini Sunday

Yippie.
daltonoutdoors

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:41 am

I'll run the Ames league at Grandview on Wednesday's if you want...

:?

:)

:twisted:
10up

Postby Eminem4president » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:42 am

10up wrote:I'll run the Ames league at Grandview on Wednesday's if you want...

:?

:)

:twisted:

You need to just find a job... :P
I don't "Owe You" like 2 vowels...

A million here, a million there...
Eminem4president

Postby irban » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:56 am

cydisc11895 wrote:How about a separate league at each course? That should spread the crowd out among more courses and allow those who can't make it on Tuesday to get to a league that fits their schedule. Also, it will allow Des Moines people to get to the Ames league more often than never.

Why don't we just all go to whatever course is closest, whenever we have a chance and play with whoever is there?
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Cydisc » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:00 am

irban wrote:Why don't we just all go to whatever course is closest, whenever we have a chance and play with whoever is there?

That's just plain silly.
Cydisc

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:02 am

That ^^^^ is why club's like St. Louis' have suffered in past years. No unity. Our club's league has a great reputation, look at the growth. I understand the need for some league division, due to logistics, but I think that we need to keep some of the core there.

I think that separating singles and doubles on different nights won't solve the numbers issue we had with doubles. They were separated already, just by the time of the summer. I do however believe that having a singles option (like Shane's handicap league) available on the same night as the doubles will reduce the overflow we saw during doubles early last summer.

As far as invading courses, ball golf leagues do this too. Post league schedules on all the course's message boards, so the information is available to the rec players, it's not like there's nowhere else to play. Plus, I think that it's good for rec players to come to a course and see the numbers we had out there, it might encourage them to join the league, or inspire them to start playing on a more competitive level. We're trying to grow our sport, right?

I also think that it wouldn't be a bad idea to include courses like Ankeny's, Newton's and Ames' into our schedule. We go to Indianola once or twice, why not eliminate a few of the rounds at GV for some of these other gems that we have access to?
GDL17921

Postby irban » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:44 am

I agree with GDL. Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. The cohesiveness of the DM disc golf community centers around league, I think. It would be sad to squander the good will, just to make league night more efficient.

The main thing we are trying to do is to make the league round more fun for everyone.

Can we figure out a creative method of limiting the numbers, so we can play the long pads, using pools or something? Or maybe we consider league to be social night, with the hot competion moved over to Shane's league. What about a faster format? Two discs, or time limits or triples or whatever? Maybe a variation of wolf or skins? Just brainstorming.

I would love to expand the number of courses we play at. We used to go all over, including Newton and Ames. We could even crash Ames league a few times, to give Steve some support, and teach him a thing or two about logistics.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby Cydisc » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:17 pm

I'm considering moving Ames league to either Mondays or Wednesdays. I'd like to increase the numbers to help bolster our fund for course improvements at Carroll Marty. Besides, I miss you guys. *sniff*

Also, look for an Ames Ice Bowl, possibly.
Cydisc

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club