park progress

memorial

Postby nydle28011 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:04 pm

it's fully playable, just 9 teepads are in, but the other nine are maped, give fryguy a call for a park map, good course!!
Go Big or Go Home!
Team Iron Lion
www.ironliondgs.com
2012 Iowa Team Champions
nydle28011

Postby fryguy » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:04 am

dont think well get all tee pads in by then but all baskets are in the ground be workin every saturday all summer to finish it
fryguy

Postby fryguy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:07 am

workin saturday if anyone wants to help be there about 8 or 9 oclock[/quote]
fryguy

Postby jlowekc » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Looking forward to playing, may play it after IHCC, since it is so far out of the way and all.......

You gonna be at the IHCC on Saturday?
--
===o {>[]----

Jack Lowe
http://www.KCFDC.org
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"
jlowekc

Postby SpikeHyzer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:22 pm

Played a round out there with the KC Crew, Corey "10up" Phillips, Weaver, Sarg and myself. The first 9 holes of the course were fairly solid for the most part. But starting at hole 10, it was like they had hellen keller layout the course. There was no real fluidness to it. I am sure it will be better once they get it all cleaned up, but I think the backside could be layed out better.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Single L » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:13 pm

SpikeHyzer wrote:Played a round out there with the KC Crew, Corey "10up" Phillips, Weaver, Sarg and myself.

Yeah but I'm willing ot bett it was the biggest round to round swing/improvement .......... and Philips has on L jack-ass.

Anywho I'd like to give my two cents on the course:

• Hole 1 - Tweener
  • Hole 2 - Tweener
  • Hole 3 - Solid Hole (the tree near the pin owes me a new water bottle)
  • Hole 4 - Solid with a little clean-up; the window at the tee needs thinned in order to play a little more legit.
  • Hole 5 - Nice Pin Placement considering there are no other obstacles.
  • Hole 6 - Tweener
  • Hole 7 - Solid
  • Hole 8 - Good Hole
  • Hole 9 - Solid
  • Hole 10 - Needs a lot of Love; Trail going to tee and an actual fairway
  • Hole 11 - Solid Hole if tweaked; The pin is too close to the bush/shrub that guards it. No pin should ever be 6 inches from an obstacle. I suggest moving the pin at least 10 feet away from the obstacle.
  • Hole 12 - Over hanging branch needs trimmed in order to play less like a tweener.
  • Hole 13 - Needs tons and tons of love; fairway needs thinned dramatically
  • Hole 14 - Could not find tee/stake; but we guessed where the tee was; could be a good hole depending on tee.
  • Hole 15 - OK hole; hopefully the tee gets leveled when poured, the stake is on a slope and would be a bad place for the tee if the tee is not leveled.
  • Hole 16 - we found a stake, but the hole ended up being about a 130' pitch. Hopefully that is not the correct tee placement.
  • Hole 17 - again we could not find the tee/stake; but we guessed where the tee was; could be a good hole depending on tee.
  • Hole 18 - again we could not find tee/stake; but we guessed where the tee was; this will be a sick hole once the opening is cleaned up/thinned.

My one major beef is that you installed the baskets on an unfinished course. The basket installation should be the last thing done on any course; all tee pads, fairways, signage, and connecting trails should be 100% complete before the course is open for play. Players will be excited to play a new course (like us) only to be very disappointed when having to play an unfinished course. This will turn newbie’s off as they may have ill feelings about the course and/or the sport.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

park

Postby fryguy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:50 pm

we have three or four of us thats doin the work and everyone is complaining thats its not done so the ones that are workin know where the tees and stuff are sorry for the inconvenience to the out of towners and the intowners just need to show up and help
fryguy

Postby Single L » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:39 pm

No ill thoughts towards your efforts Fryguy. You guys will have a fun and challenging course to play once it's completed. I would just suggest that in the future that the course be complete before pins are installed. In Iowa City we made sure all signage, tees and fairways were complete before we put the pins in the ground. It paid off as we opened the course to good reviews and happy discers.

Good luck on the final stages of completing your vision........
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby GaW27166 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:09 pm

And.... dont use the road for rollers, it doesnt work out as well as you would think. :lol:
GaW27166

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:53 pm

nice, grant. Its a little busy... lol
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby irban » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:51 am

Yeah, it used to be you would get more people helping if you didn't put in the baskets, because people were anxious to get the course in so they could play. Not so much now, with all of the courses around.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

park

Postby fryguy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:39 pm

this is my first rodeo so to speak but i'm learnin that some people say they will help might just mean they will help from the couch hopefully be done by snow fall lol
fryguy

Postby puppetmaster » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:52 am

fryguy wrote
but i'm learnin that some people say they will help might just mean they will help from the couch

LOL, I've lived that , and I feel your pain, (mainly in your lower back) just remember that you will have done something that your proud of. Good luck and don't quit........ :roll:

Cant wait to make it down there to give it a try, keep us posted.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby ghstinshll » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:02 pm

Hole 1 - Tweener

Hole 2 - Tweener

Shoot... try putting some D in ur ars Corey!@ :-P
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Conrad 37988 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:23 am

You guys have a great course at Memorial. You are doing a good job. My only complaint was 10 with the many many small trees. It makes it difficult to take a 3 on a 200ft hole. All in all I loved the course. Keep up the good work.
Conrad 37988

PreviousNext

Return to Ottumwa - Memorial Park