Creek Construction

Creek Construction

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Storm Water Consultants have been hired to "fix" the 3 entry points of the creek @ the North end of the park. THey're fixing the flow, and putting in a concrete "Y" @ the North end to helpit flow & not collect...

The baskets from holes 5 & 7 have been pulled, so that the construction won't ruin them. From the sounds of it, they'll be put back in when the work is done. Until then, It's SAFARI-style, 5's pad to 6, I suppose, and 7's pad to 8's basket. Could try playing back ot 4's basket as well, but I'll go for the length.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby mattmelcher » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:25 pm

I took a walk up there today and all I'll say is: Holes 5 and 7 just got a lot easier...

They cut down all the trees that were in the creek, leaving only the pine trees to the north of each basket. The creek has been widened and the sides scraped at an angle. I'm guessing they are going to put some rock in the creek bed.

It really needed to be done. They need to work the entire creek - I doubt of they will
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Postby ghstinshll » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:05 pm

Per the Water Consultants, the city doesnt have the money to do more than the start of the creek... Frankly, I don't see how this work wasn't something that Gery & Jeremy couldnt do w/ renting an excavator and a bobcat, and letting "mr intensity" go to town onthe creek. I bet they'd be done in a day, maybe two - tops.

note: read the norwalk audit report done by the state auditors office & you'll understand why that hasn't been done yet. :wink:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Danno » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:44 am

Wait a second Matt, did you just say hole 7 is going to be allot easier?
They must have cut down my favorite tree? :lol:

I know that will never happen, I know a few guys that enjoy seeing me hit that tree every time I tee off. :twisted:
Danno

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:17 am

:twisted: Hmm, really? 8)

Taking a Teerex & turning it over, might just be able to park #7 now!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby mattmelcher » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Danno wrote:Wait a second Matt, did you just say hole 7 is going to be allot easier?
They must have cut down my favorite tree? :lol:

I know that will never happen, I know a few guys that enjoy seeing me hit that tree every time I tee off. :twisted:

Your favorite tree is still there so we can still gets some laughs...

All the trees along the creek south of the pines are gone, so you can potentially get your second shot close and I imagine some of you will now have the occasional birdie chance...Of course, you have to get past your tree first!
mattmelcher

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:44 pm

I left someone in City Hall a message asking if there was a date scheduled for completion - so we can have 5 & 7 back. Was totally respectful, just curious. I hope the guy makes time to call back. Probably won't though. :roll:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:16 pm

Holy COW, the creek had been stripped, new spillways for the intry to the creek put in, large field tile (tubing) put in, covered up, and they laid over w/ the green blankets w/ grass seed in them. Holy CRAP it looks good! I'm really unsure abou tthe diameter o fhte tubing appropriate, I sure hope this was "done right". Given the aptitude of the city's decision makers, I doubt it. Hopefully what I assume to be the Storm Water guys' expertise - would have counteracted that & made it so it was done right. *shrug*

Either way, for the time being - it'll look gorgeous & smoothe, ala the bottom the hill on 1 @ Southwoods!

No news when the baskets go back in though... Seeing progress bring hope though!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby puppetmaster » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:21 am

OK we were given the ok to put the baskets back in......... BUT, we are going to wait for at least 2 weeks, they have planted fast growing grass and they will start watering it this Monday. We just dont want the ground to be muddy then people walking on it would not be a good thing, so sorry people but it will be a little bit longer.

They would like to keep going but what has happened so far has cost 13,000.oo and we all know that Parks are on the back side of recieving any money. They are working on another grant and if and when they get it, maybe, just maybe they can make it to the bridge. The boss is now talking about having us do the second stage.

The bridge is going to be fixed, well maybe I should say that I have bought the meteral to fix it but all day yesterday I was at the other city park fixxing all the stuff that the kids have distroyed (the new game in town is to clim on the shelter roof and rip off the shingles and plywood) so if my boss says I can finish, Monday we will have new rail system (the way I wanted to do it the first time) instead of spindals it will have 2x6 with only 2 inch gaps, lets see the little bastards kick them off...... Looks like they have started to try to burn part of it (two burn marks on the rail) so knowing my luck, they will distroy it one way or another.

Long story short, if my boss lets me (dont hold your breath) (he hates me and doesnt want us (street dept) working for Park and Rec) I will fix (on city time, I wont do anything for this city on my own time until the do something about this boss) I will fix and cut what I can.......
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby mattmelcher » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:35 pm

Here's some photo's of the nearly finished project...

From the 5th tee pad. Gives you an idea of all the trees that were removed.

A little closer view. The orange flag is the basket location. Right below the grate.

View from the 7th tee pad.

The basket is obscured by the second tree from the left
mattmelcher

Postby ghstinshll » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:58 pm

Matt, hell yeah! I lost my camera, so I'm glad you took pics! Thanks man!

BUT, we are going to wait for at least 2 weeks, they have planted fast growing grass and they will start watering it this Monday. We just dont want the ground to be muddy then people walking on it would not be a good thing, so sorry people but it will be a little bit longer.

That's one heck of a smart thing... We got used to them not beign there, so now it's smart to wait.

Gary, I was thinking about buying some spindles too.. Thank you. Let me know if I can "trade you" something for your efforts.

Sounds like we'll have grass, and baskets by the 22nd, w00t!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby mattmelcher » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:49 pm

Fast Gary strikes again...

I see the bridge is fixed - It looks nice!

Good job!
mattmelcher

Postby arowan21 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:07 am

I got to play this course yesterday, its really nice. But can I make 1 suggestion. The holes need grate covers. A guy I was playing with threw his disc and it landed in a water hole. He was able to reach down and get it though. It was the first "hole"-in-1 I've ever seen.Image
arowan21

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:01 am

ooooh, good suggestion.

Tell your friend that the "wacky hole in 1's" are always followed by real ones... :wink: Tell him to keep it up. ha!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:05 am

I got a better suggestion:

Don't throw your disc in there. :lol:
GDL17921

Next

Return to Des Moines (Norwalk) - Windflower Park