Ewing Baskets Poll

My opinion of the Ewing baskets is that they should be:

modified with O Rings (disconnect the inner and outer chains)
7%
modified with the cable (current fix)
26%
left alone (remove the cable)
15%
replaced with better baskets
52%

Total votes : 27

Ewing Baskets Poll

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:08 pm

Tally away
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:39 pm

I picked the current fix. Just because I want this to be over with. I came to realize that if you aren't going to a course because of the way the basket is made...you're missing the point of disc golf.
Buzzznation

Postby grodney » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Do we get to comment in addition to vote? My comment would be: It's a frickin' *GAME*. Get over it. Cripes.
grodney

Postby 10up » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:05 pm

Perhaps a little more explanation on the different mod's. Modifying them with the "O" rings would mean we'd cut 4 links off the outer set of chains and let the inner set hang free straight down from the top. We'd then link the outer set close to the pole inside of the the inner's essentially making it a Mach V config. The chains are the same guage so there wouldn't be any need for a replacement basket.
10up

Postby Mount » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:44 pm

chuck any idea besides getting new baskets, I say.
Mount

Postby 10up » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:50 pm

would you care to offer any reasoning as to why? Or just; "Chuck those baskets"?
10up

Postby Birdman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:52 pm

the baskets are fine right now in my case...but if they do get yanked i think that one of those baskets would look awesome in my backyard.
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby Mount » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:00 pm

I saw enough of baskets like that in Follet's Ia. These baskets are actually even worse. The ring in the bottom makes your disc go from the chains to the ground. No matter how you hit them.
Mount

Postby shane » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:34 pm

I liked them better the way they were before.

By the way, do you know how you tell a tweeker in a grocery store?
He's the one with cart upside down fixing the wheel.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby Single L » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:53 am

Are the baskets Mach V? What's the problem with them? I haven't played there for a few years.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby actifed » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:58 pm

porkchop wrote:Are the baskets Mach V? What's the problem with them? I haven't played there for a few years.

Nothing is wrong with the baskets. Some people don't like the chain configuration. Based on past club discussions, we're probably going to replace/change the chains. Personally, if my putter comes out I tend to blame myself. I've been playing long enough to know that not all baskets catch the same, and I'm OK with it. But to each his or her own.

The only complaint I have is that they lack some of the old school jingle when you hit it solid. :arrow:
actifed

Postby SpikeHyzer » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:28 pm

After playing the DM Open...I can definitely say that I saw a lot of putts that should have stuck, but didn't. And I would definitely attribute it to the current modification. I would rather have them the way they used to be, compared to the way they are now. Just my two cents worth.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Cydisc » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:06 am

Whenever I experience a spit out or a pass-through, I just blame the Ewing baskets, whether I'm at Ewing or not.
Cydisc

Postby The Donator » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:59 am

SpikeHyzer wrote:After playing the DM Open...I can definitely say that I saw a lot of putts that should have stuck, but didn't. And I would definitely attribute it to the current modification. I would rather have them the way they used to be, compared to the way they are now. Just my two cents worth.

No offense Joe, but id have to argue the other side. When playing in the Team Championships, I didn't notice a single putt, in either round, that oddly "surfed" out of the basket. Granted ive only played those two rounds since the modifications were put in place, but if anything, i was quite surprised at some that did stick. My partner in the first round had a two anhyzer putts that hit the top right link/links, and stuck. I never see that on any other type of basket. The first was on hole 8, which was also the first hole I noticed the modification, as I had forgotten about the chain modification prior to the tournament. Throughout the round I noticed a number of putts stick that I thought otherwise wouldnt have, but im not sure whether they were due to the modification or not, as I was playing with players I had never played with before. When I lived in DSM prior to the modification, I remember being quite frustrated with a number of putts that wouldn't/didn't stick throughout league nights that I thought would have stuck on any other basket. Again, ive only played two rounds since the modification, so my opinion probably doesnt mean anything compared to those who currently live in DM and play there often.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby grodney » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:59 am

SpikeHyzer wrote:I can definitely say that I saw a lot of putts that should have stuck, but didn't.

Perhaps you meant to say "I saw a lot of putts that should have been putted better, but weren't.".

I mean, sheesh, why not just put in tone poles?
grodney

Next

Return to Des Moines - Ewing Park