New course in Mount Vernon

Moderator: peyton

New course in Mount Vernon

Postby roguedisc » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:34 pm

We in Mount Vernon have been fortunate to have some city funding available to create a new disc golf course. The major obsatcle at this point is placement and design of the course. Although I have numerous interests, I'm an absolute beginner to disc golf and I'm the one in charge of getting a small course up and running. A few people have given their opinions about this or that, but other than my own personal research, I have limited direction. Its really exciting that our Ciy Council has backed a new disc golf course, but there are limits to my workable budget. Any ideas, suggestions on where I should go from here?

Thanks!

p.s I actually am ordering the goals in the next few days.
roguedisc

Postby Abe Froman » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:49 pm

where is the land you were allowed to put the course in @?
Abe Froman

Postby roguedisc » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:53 pm

One area being considered is in Nature Park; a park that surrounds a previous limestone quarry, but now it is a beautiful, natural, pond. There other area being considered is at the Elliott Athletic Complex--where we have numerous ball diamonds. I am definitely open to suggestions.

Take care
roguedisc

Postby hyzerman16234 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:09 pm

There are several people that are qualified to help you with the design and installation of a course. I'm very busy maintaining Wildcat Bluff but would be happy to help.

Hep
hyzerman16234

Postby Budhyzer 17696 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:06 pm

The pond/quarry area sounds awesome for a course.
Water and elevation makes it rather challenging.

Trying to design a course around ball fields brings in a lot of possible traffic to fareways and may not be your best bet.

As my buddy Hyzerman said, just send out a call, a day to come out and look around the area, and I'm sure you'll get a resonse on some help. :wink:
Budhyzer 17696

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:40 pm

*** you just created a flock of missionaries to wander through Mt. Vernon... LOL

Seriously though, way to go w/ drumming up interest. From what I know of quarries (bettendorf, Tipton), I say go for the Quarry!!!

Would that bring a new level of desperate disc golfers - who SCUBA to find their plastic?! Hell yeah!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby geoffreylaw » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:28 am

ghstinshll wrote:Would that bring a new level of desperate disc golfers - who SCUBA to find their plastic?! Hell yeah!

Ahhhh....the thrills of scuba diving. Just watch out for the sharks!

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby walton35486 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:40 am

Just curious where in exactly in Nature Park this is planned. I used to live a block away from there and from what I can remember there isn't much room for the path around the quarry let alone a course.
walton35486

Postby Schirm » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:14 am

Someone just told me that there's a course in or close to the Cornell campus.

Anyone know about this?
Force, Wraith, Teebird, Pig, Buzzz, Cobra, Challenger...This week at least.
Schirm

Postby gpdigity » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:28 pm

i talked to someone that played it and it is a short 9 hole through or around the campus.

not sure exactly where but he said on one of the hyzer shots you go around a tree and almost bank off a classroom building breaking back to the hole.
gpdigity

Postby Schirm » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:43 am

Here's a map:

http://www.cornellcollege.edu/campus-re ... f_disc.pdf

Looks like it goes all through campus, and #9 doesn't finish anywhere close to #1. Longest hole is 352.
Force, Wraith, Teebird, Pig, Buzzz, Cobra, Challenger...This week at least.
Schirm

Return to Cedar Rapids Club