Oh yesss, home course

For disc golf purposes, would you rather live on the North side of Des Moines, or the south side of Des Moines

North Side
72%
South Side
28%

Total votes : 29

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:33 pm

East Side is coupled with the South Side in this Survey, if you didn't notice. Neither Shane, nor I, live on either the South or the East Side, it's Beaverdale essentially, and it does have the easiest access to all sides, I personally think it's too far away from Westlake but as Justin pointed out, we are slightly closer than you. :)
10up

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:18 pm

you're chuckin' crazy Dan. First, Pickard being the best course in the state is highly debateable. Sure, it's a great course, but the best of over 100?

Second, Big Creek isn't a monster, hole 11 is. You can play the front nine out there in like 35 minutes.

Third, the poll results speak for itself. North, (or East) = better than south.

Fourth, like Shane said, Ewing is a non-factor. I've lived here since June of 2005, and I've played maybe 2 rec rounds there. So that leaves you with Waterworks, which sucks, Crivaro, a short niner that ain't done yet, Greenwood, which ain't done yet, or a 30 minute haul to Pickard. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:24 pm

Well I don't know Jay, I'd have a hard time finding a course that has what Pickard does... Best course in the state is relative anyway. It is in my humble opinion.

And Regardless of whether you play there or not, Ewing is a factor. I don't care how many rec rounds you have or haven't played.

You live on the North-East side, which is kind of the X-factor in this whole debate, because you can't really have a North vs. South without including East and West parameters. The pole has 12 voters, hardly enough for conclusion to a citywide question. I was the first, and have gained several supporters since. My mission continues, and I will overcome.
10up

Postby Cydisc » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:25 pm

The north side is farther away from the Meadow.
Cydisc

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:28 pm

and texas!
10up

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:30 pm

True, it is your opinion, which I'll allow, but you can't claim it's the best in the state without playing all of them? No? I haven't played 'em all yet, either, but I can name a few that I like just as much if not more than Pickard. I do agree with you though, that Pickard is a top notch course. This is just for bantering's sake: :D

Indian Hills (Ottumwa) you've played there, right?
J&B Rolling Hills
Graceland
Treasure Cove
Devil's Glen (I wish it was more than 12 holes though)
Westlake

And from what I've been hearing, Middle and Peninsula Parks will soon be added to my list of IA fav's.
GDL17921

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:40 pm

Graceland is great, IHCC is great, I'll throw in Hickory, I am not a fan of J&B however.

Pickard's design, from what I have seen on every course that I've played, is the most comprehensive and well designed course we have. There isn't a shot there that I think I can figure out a better spot for. It has the widest range and best spread of ani's, hyzer's, upshots, putter drives... whatever your pleasure, you'll get to throw it more than a few times. And the thing that makes it all come together is that every shot is fair to every spread of player, AMII to Pro, Lefty to Righty, it isn't really favorable to either and there aren't area's that punish good shots (like J&B).
10up

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:43 pm

Oh and for the record, everybody should know my feelings on Westlake, I've been one of it's main advocates in Des Moines since I played it, but it doesn't count yet. And no, I haven't played all the courses, and I don't feel I ever will or should have to in order to make a reasonable decision on whether I think I actually need to go play Sac City's nine holer in order to conclude what the best course in Iowa is.
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:32 pm

The question is North side of Des Moines, or South Side. not what the best course is. Also what have we decided as the perimeters. Dan I know that you mentioned that Hickman is the divivding line which I agree with. North side baby. :D
Buzzznation

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:44 pm

Buzzznation wrote: North side baby. :D

WORD!
GDL17921

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:47 pm

Dan, are you trying to get in Clue's pants? :lol: He'll probably have a woody as soon as he reads your last post about Pickard. :lol:

Your course assessment is pretty solid, for a guy that throws a 450 foot thumber on every hole. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Mount » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:24 pm

[quote="10up"]

And Regardless of whether you play there or not, Ewing is a factor. I don't care how many rec rounds you have or haven't played.
quote]

Until Ewing gets a new set of baskets then it will never be a factor. Sorry Dan this is just the way it is.
Mount

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:57 pm

You "North-Siders" are like a pack of love stricken little groupie girls obsessed with some boy band... not offering up and valuable or logical evidence as to why your favorite guy is the best guy, and blowing off the argument of the other side by coming up with stupid little catch phrases... "Nizzorth Sizzide Bizzle!!".... seriously, if that's the best you've got I'm removing my nomination for Jay Greenwood to be my special friend. Have fun playing Twister by your damnself buddy.
10up

Postby Mount » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:39 pm

Hey smart guy!!! I am not even from Des Moines.
Mount

Postby Single L » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:38 am

Being a geography geek not from Des Moines I thought I could try to help the situation in bipartisan way.

If you want to include Pickard in the discussion than the center line moves between Ashworth Rd. and I-235 based on Latitude. This puts Grandview and Lions Park in the North, therefore the south clearly loses. Move the center line to Hickman subtract Pickard and the North still wins.

"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines (Johnston) - Walnut Ridge Recreation Area