is it just the poison?

is it just the poison?

Postby 10up » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:33 am

So, does anybody have anything to say about this course? Positives, Neg's, (aside from the Ivy).

After spending alot of time out there last week I realized that the setup for this course is almost genius, it just needs constant grooming and upkeep. If the fairways were actually cut back to be fairways and a few key points of the course opened up by some strategic tree removal I have no doubt Big Creek would be a course people actually want to play.

I also know of some stuff that can be easily sprayed out there should parks and rec let us that drastically reduces Ivy, Oak, and Sumac.
10up

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:51 am

problem is, it isn't the parks and rec. It's the Army Corp of Engineers. (State Park)

I think Steve and I discussed spraying before, I can't remember what he said, but he would know. He has a good relationship with those guys out there.
GDL17921

Postby Cydisc » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:52 am

GDL17921 wrote:problem is, it isn't the parks and rec. It's the Army Corp of Engineers. (State Park)

I think Steve and I discussed spraying before, I can't remember what he said, but he would know. He has a good relationship with those guys out there.

It's the DNR not the ACE.
Cydisc

Big Creek Rocks

Postby SpikeHyzer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:52 pm

I love to play Big Creek, during the early spring and late fall. The course is great, but it's the Ivy that keeps people from playing out there. BC is a very challenging course. It forces you to play fairway golf instead of going for it every time. Yes you can try to go up and over, but that can lead to some big issues (It can also give you some sweet bird's though too).
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Clue » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:02 pm

Mama told me not to say anything at all.
Clue

Postby 10up » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:06 pm

*crack-snap!*

cough*coughwhippedcough*cough*

Always do what mama says lil' guy?
10up

Postby shane » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:37 pm

I love Big Creek and always have. The course is very challenging and doesn't just reward the guy that can throw the farthest. One thing to becareful of on a course such as BC is that to much clearing can take away from the beauty of the course. A course like that isn't meant to have to wide of fairways. I think you are better off by removing certain trees or cleaning up certain trees. That course rewards the person who is throwing clean shots. You should always have the option of going up and over if you choose. That brings in other factors such as the wind and lost discs.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby kwb20 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:50 pm

Big Creek is by far my favorite coarse in Iowa. I think it would be a shame if they were to widen any of the fairways anymore than what has alreayd been done. The only suggestion I have for improvments would be to put a few trash cans out there. I personally liked the 1st and 2nd holes better the way they were before.
________
buy silver surfer vaporizer
Last edited by kwb20 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwb20

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:27 pm

good job, I hope you're at least shooting 1050 rated rounds regularly if you think having a 7 foot fairway at 250ft is a good thing...

And the clearing that was done on the holes that were worked on before the tournament were only cut back to their original size. The mature trees that are scattered throughout the park are what define the fairway. Not the dogwood and brushwood that have since grown in.
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:01 pm

10up wrote:good job, I hope you're at least shooting 1050 rated rounds regularly if you think having a 7 foot fairway at 250ft is a good thing...

And the clearing that was done on the holes that were worked on before the tournament were only cut back to their original size. The mature trees that are scattered throughout the park are what define the fairway. Not the dogwood and brushwood that have since grown in.

What he said. Also, who said anything about widening the fairways? It is called trimming them up.
Buzzznation

Postby kwb20 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:16 pm

I read something about widening fairways on the very first post saying that people would actually want to coarse if that was done and I have only been playing big creek for the past 2 years so i have no idea what it originally looked like.
________
sc2 replays
kwb20

Return to Des Moines (Polk City) - Big Creek State Park