General Comments

General Comments

Postby NomadicThrower85 » Sun May 18, 2008 4:36 pm

Tried out the park today for the first time, i liked it. Hole 4 scarred me for a bit b/c I thought I was throwing to the basket for hole 5. I love the water holes though, they were my favorites. I had some added obstacles on hole 4: people, lol. Hole 6 is a doozie, what a hike straight up. I wore a pair of REEF sandals, would have been ok had I stayed out of the woods. For some reason I couldn't keep it out of the of them on hole 7 and 8; and hilly woods are not kind to feet in sandals. I've got my base score, so I'll be back to beat it down. Look forward to the CFR discs!
NomadicThrower85

Postby Nitsud » Thu May 22, 2008 5:46 pm

My first impressions were not good. Firstly, the gnats were incredibly annoying. I know they've been bad at all the QC courses lately, so I won't hold this against the course, but I'd rather deal with the gnats at Davenport courses than this course.

Secondly, an extremely annoying Youth Group/Cult calling anyone with discs a "bunch of hippies". This would have been mildly funny with a smaller group of kids, but when you have 20-30 of the monsters shouting it while being supervised by adults, it's a bit agitating. We were also confronted by one of the leaders telling us they had the park reserved until 2:30, which goes against my understanding of the word "Public" in Public Park.

For the course itself, we didn't get to play baskets 1 and 9 due to the children. I was surprised at how close the current locations for 1 and 9's baskets were to each other, it seems slightly dangerous. I thought basket 2 was great, except for the fact that a lookout bench is pretty close to 2's long position. Another bad placement in my opinion. We couldn't find 3's teepad. Basket 4 was almost unplayable due to a few people fishing. Basket 5 was alright. Basket 6 was alright. Basket 7 was unplayable due to construction on its teepad. I really liked Basket 8 from the teepad we played.

I understand the course isn't finished yet and I know I won't be back until the signs are in and not without some bug spray.

Pros: 2 and 8

Cons: children, indifferent adults, gnats, dangerous positions/flow problems with the baskets
I play the game, but I don't keep score. I can't win or lose.
Nitsud

Postby Orange Guy » Thu May 22, 2008 6:20 pm

Nitsud wrote:Cons: children, indifferent adults, gnats, dangerous positions/flow problems with the baskets

Even though I played the WORST I have ever played, it is a good, challenging 9-holer. I'll play it again.

BUT!

I agree on the flow issue. Walking from 1's basket to 2's tee requires crossing over 9's fairway. 8 & 9 practically share a fairway in opposite directions, so beware when walking either of those holes. I don't mind the backtracking, but I hate playing in other people's fairways. Also, between the bench behind the basket, the fishermen on the pond and the kids on the playground equipment, you get the feeling that the course was planned with little or no regard for existing park features. That's the main reason I won't be playing this course very often ... we have so many other options in the area that don't involve that many clashes with other park users.
Orange Guy

Postby RedBird88 » Fri May 23, 2008 8:51 am

Thanks guys for your input on the course. As anyone who has worked on the design of a course knows, not everyone will like the end result. As has been mentioned previously there is still much to do at the course before it can be considered completed. One of the key things that we're working on is an exchange program that would get some of those better "Davenport" gnats over there rather than the annoying Illinois ones we have now! J/k

To just addresss some of the points made earlier. As far as the "flow" goes on the course, there will be a path that runs behind #4's basket and around the creek to #5's tee. There will also be a path that runs from #6's short basket up to #7's tee to keep people out of the fairway. As for the backtracking mentioned, sorry it just cant be completely avoided in the long positions. The size of the park and the "no cutting" rules just wont allow other options to eliminate it. There is none in the short layout, but every one of the most popular course in the QC has some backtracking in the design including West Lake, Camden and Camden2.

Someone mentioned the park was "reserved" when they wanted to play. That can happen at times during the week when the schools bring the children out. That also happens at West Lake where the course will be closed at times or at key spots where the course runs through the picnic areas. The nice thing is that these same schools will use the course to teach those kids how to play disc golf and that should do nothing but better the sport in the long run. And yes, there might be times when the occasional fisherman might be in the line of fire, but the same thing happened at West Lake at first and with a little time things definately worked ou for the best there and there's no reason to think it wont at Butterworth as well! Talk to them let them know you're playing through and give them time to understand whats going on.

As far as the fairways "running into each other" thats a bit unfair. #8 and #9 fairways do run along side each other, but just about every other course around here has the same situation. Stand on #9's tee at Eastern or on #4's tee at Camden some time and see how many discs come right at you. Plus the best routes to the pins on those two holes at Butterworth take you away from the other fairways and not into them.

There are two holes where there are benches near the greens. Hole #2 has that swing at the end of the finger and #3 has a bench short of the green. Those will be moved in time, but if thats a problem then you'll want to stay away from West Lake!

All kidding aside, this really is a fun little course that will only get better as it nears completion. If you end up not liking it or it doesnt suite your tastes for a course, then you're right . We are fortunate to have many choices of where to play in the Quad Cities. The one thing I would ask is for people to just to appreciate how much time and effort was put into this course, not by those of us who designed it, but by the City of East Moline, the Parks Department, and the East Moline Volunteer Group. These organizations have spent the better part of the past year working together to raise the funds and schedule the work so we can enjoy a course in their park. They looked at what design limitations were needed to make the park available not only for disc golf, but the many other features it provides. They take great pride in their park and we should repect their efforts to provide a disc golf course for us. Because of their cooperation with each other, the course will be completely installed - including the tee signs that will be completed with the next couple weeks- without one penny being required from an outside source.

Please, lets not forget that not one single one of the many disc golf courses in the Quad City area belong to us as individuals or clubs. Every one of them belongs to the cities and counties that hold and maintain them. Without the help and continued cooperation of these same cities and groups disc golf courses in our area wouldn't exist. That being said, lets show those groups the respect that they deserve and be a little carefull how we express our feelings here so when they read our forum comments they can understand just how much we appreciate their contribution in getting disc golf where it is today in the Quad Cities!
RedBird88

Postby ajordanpippenfan » Fri May 23, 2008 10:06 am

the gnats do suck, but i really like the course. it is very creative and challenging. i do like the long position on hole #1, but i do understand that it needed to be moved until discs don't fly into anyone's yards.

i've played it 3 times already and plan to continue playing here.
One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do.
Author: Henry Ford
ajordanpippenfan

Postby Orange Guy » Fri May 23, 2008 10:15 am

I don't mind the back tracking at all.

#1-yikes ... I love those people for having a gate along their back fence. If I spend anymore time in their backyard, I think they'll have to claim me on their taxes.
Orange Guy

Postby ajordanpippenfan » Fri May 23, 2008 10:19 am

lol nice.
One of the greatest discoveries a man makes, one of his great surprises, is to find he can do what he was afraid he couldn't do.
ajordanpippenfan

Postby ajordanpippenfan » Fri May 23, 2008 10:20 am

i also don't mind the backtracking. if you want the toughest holes, i don't see how they could have made it and not backtracked.
ajordanpippenfan

Postby Sniper26 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:34 am

I love the design of hole #7. It is a long downhill backtrack, but it is well worth the walk. It is already in my top 5 holes in the QC. I have never played anything like it.
Sniper26

Re: reply

Postby Orange Guy » Fri May 23, 2008 10:47 am

RedBird88 wrote:As far as the fairways "running into each other" thats a bit unfair. Plus the best routes to the pins on those two holes at Butterworth take you away from the other fairways and not into them.

I would argue that saying that is unfair is unfair. The majority of new and learning players are going to dump their discs left. That puts throws from both holes into the adjacent fairway.

And for the record, I'm not belittling anyone's efforts to get this course in the ground. But no one is above criticism.
Orange Guy

Postby treeMD » Fri May 23, 2008 11:19 am

havent got a chance to play here yet but it sounds like a good time. i dont think anyone is trying to be mean just making suggestions. i myself like to hear peoples ideas and comments about camden II......just remember i know how to use a chainsaw very very well! :lol: lol
Q 32845
treeMD

Postby KePP » Fri May 23, 2008 12:32 pm

Soule Bowl is a sweet location for a 9-hole course new to East Moline.
KePP

Postby FB32992 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:17 am

does the no cutting rule means branches hanging on the fairway that can take away potential good shots or the basic flight of the disc? really the course played fair and few tough holes but 3,6,and 7 really don't even give you a fair chance.hole 7 is a sweet hole but there is no way to throw a decent air or roller shot, same with hole 8, seems kinda flukey!!!!
"No Chain No Game"
Team Iron Lion
http://www.ironliondgs.com/
FB32992

Trim

Postby RedBird88 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:01 pm

Trimming will be done to fix those holes. Just hang on till the park guys can get it done- its on their list of things to do!
Last edited by RedBird88 on Tue May 27, 2008 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedBird88

Re: Trim

Postby FB32992 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:27 am

RedBird88 wrote:Trimming will be done to fix those holes. Just hang on till the park can get it done- its on their list of things to do!

that's great Joe!!!!will only make em better!!!
"No Chain No Game"
Team Iron Lion
http://www.ironliondgs.com/
FB32992

Next

Return to Quad Cities (East Moline, IL) -- Butterworth Park