Our annual spring des moines trip!

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Our annual spring des moines trip!

Postby chalupamarley » Tue May 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Hi everybody.

Next week is my pals and my annual spring tourney/camp trip in DM at Saylorville.

We play Pickard, Ewing x2, Grandview x2, Walnut, and probably Waterworks.

Last year, after pickard, we played Crivaro twice cuz Pickard pooped us out. We're thinking Waterworks this year instead of Criv.

Is Waterworks open? Or is it flooded?

In ya'll's esteemed opinion, should we stick with Crivaro 18, or go to Waterworks?

Thanks a lot. We can't wait to come down again. We always have a blast and all the hurlers we've met have been cool. Especially since we look like dorks in our ridiculous uniforms.

There are six of us, and I'm proud to say that we'll have athletes from MN, NE, CA, OR, and WA.

Six jocks, five states. Go figure.

Peace, and thanks in advance for your input.
chalupamarley

Postby irban » Tue May 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Skip ww and crivaro and play Big Creek. It looks great this year.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Single L » Tue May 06, 2008 1:32 pm

Water Works is not in good shape ........ skip it and Crivaro

The seven rounds I would play .................

1. Pickard
  2. Ewing
  3. Walnut
  4. Big Creek
  5. Grandview
  6. Colfax
  7. Maytag (Newton)

Play Pickard and Ewing on the same day since you will be staying at Saylorville.

I only put Newton on there because I think Colfax is a must play. Since you'll be out at Colfax you might as well hit up Newton the same day.
Last edited by Single L on Tue May 06, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby GDL17921 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:33 pm

What irban said, and if you have time, I'd definately recommend hitting up the Colfax course, only 15 miles on I-80 east of Des Moines.
GDL17921

Postby irban » Tue May 06, 2008 1:48 pm

GDL17921 wrote:I'd definately recommend hitting up the Colfax course, only 15 miles on I-80 east of Des Moines.

Agreed. If Ankeny wasn't torn up, I would say it is worth a look with the new layout in back. Wait til next year.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Like_Water » Tue May 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Don't miss Big Creek. We just did a ton of work out there and it's looking sweet...and the ivy isn't in yet! Walnut and Big Creek go together like Ewing and Pickard.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Buzzznation » Tue May 06, 2008 2:37 pm

Discwrangler wrote: Walnut and Big Creek go together like Ewing and Pickard.

Like Fresh homemade baked Bread and Fresh churned Apple Butter. :wink:
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby chalupamarley » Tue May 06, 2008 4:02 pm

Thanks a lot for the input.

I'm definitely intrigued about colfax.

But I gotta admit, I'm wondering about Waterworks. Is it in playable shape?

My concern is, last year, we hit the courses so hard (a Pickard/ewing/walnut marathon comes to mind), that we were so zonked after the long days and sleeping on the ground that we were low on energy for campsite recreation (read: the only other REAL hobby).

So our sked for the days are

1) Grandview/Ewing
2) Pickard _________
3) Ewing/Walnut
4) Grandview

I understand that Ewing and Grandview are a little low on the totem pole as far as you hard core des moiners go, but tradition dictates that we play grandview twice.

And the reason that we want to play waterworks or criv is because we're kind of pussies and pickard knocks us out.

If colfax is really kickass, we'll hit it up. But I would like to know a little about WW's conditions. Thanks again.

As our MN guy Timmy Gill says:

dg=good times
dmdg=kick ass
chalupamarley

Postby GDL17921 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:05 pm

As far as I know, WW is playable. Definately check out Colfax and Big Creek. Big Creek is the next closest course to where you'll be camping, and there's not a lot of elevation/length, so it might be a nice course to play when you're hungover/tired, after Pickard maybe. Just stay on the fairway, if you can. :twisted:
GDL17921

Postby Buzzznation » Tue May 06, 2008 4:26 pm

chalupamarley wrote:My concern is, last year, we hit the courses so hard (a Pickard/ewing/walnut marathon comes to mind), that we were so zonked after the long days and sleeping on the ground that we were low on energy for campsite recreation (read: the only other REAL hobby).

I understand that Ewing and Grandview are a little low on the totem pole as far as you hard core des moiners go, but tradition dictates that we play grandview twice.

Couple of things. First of all Ewing is difinately not on the bottom of the Totem Pole. If you heard from most in the area in regard to favorite courses Pickard, Walnut, and Ewing would be the ones most likely mentioned, with a few Big Creek's and Grandviews.

As far as being Zonked. It's well worth it with the assets at hand. Beleive me, you would much rather be barely able to walk and play Big Creek and/ or Colfax, then play waterworks in top notch condition. Waterworks would be my last pick of courses to play in the area. I haven't seen the conditions recently, but I can bet at the very least it will be mesquito heaven when you guys play there if it isn't flooded too.

We take great pride in our courses here as you can see. Along with that it is our responsability to ensure that passer buyers experience the best that we have to offer. I'm sure you guys would have a good time if you came here and played Waterworks 7 times, but why sell yourself short.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Like_Water » Tue May 06, 2008 5:06 pm

Waterworks is a waste of time IMO. Rather boring and it's the trashiest course we have (no trash cans + lots of mullets = lots of beer cans)

Colfax is a ways out there, and great and all, but the 5 gems in DM are where it's at. when you get to Big Creek, you will say, THIS is a disc golf course. Trust me.
:lol: :lol:
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby Cydisc » Tue May 06, 2008 9:49 pm

+1 on Colfax and Newton. They're just fun courses to play.

If you want to play WW, fine. I play there every Wednesday noon and it's about good for really airing out your drivers. It's pretty straight-forward and no thinking is involved.

You're from MN? Why don't you hit one or both of the two Ames courses on your way down as a warmup?
Cydisc

Postby ghstinshll » Tue May 06, 2008 11:03 pm

LMFAO... shameless plug for the lil course here: Stop in Norwalk on your way to town from Pickard!!! It'll be a nice breath of fresh air before going to Ewing... ha!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby gretagun » Wed May 07, 2008 8:11 am

Discwrangler wrote:Waterworks is a waste of time IMO. Rather boring and it's the trashiest course we have (no trash cans + lots of mullets = lots of beer cans)

:D That's the truth, although I do play there fairly often due to it's location. Haven't been there in a month, so I have no idea what condition it is in
"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should"
gretagun

Postby Single L » Wed May 07, 2008 8:27 am

To save your wallet on gas and for quality flow I would schedule my 4 days as so ........

2) Colfax / Grandview (Newton) - Nice casual and relaxing day to kick off the tour. (Newton if you can throw out tradition and only play Grandview once)

1) Pickard / Ewing - Get the south side trek out of your way on day 2, if you only play the two rounds you will have plenty of energy for the rest of the trip

3) Big Creek / Walnut - Seeing how you are starting to fade and want to sleep in a bit, stay close to camp on day 3 and play the relatively flat North side beauties.

4) Grandview - Finish it off with a round at Grandview (you could even do back to back rounds at GV if you want to keep tradition)
Last edited by Single L on Wed May 07, 2008 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club