Baskets are in!

Baskets are in!

Postby Single L » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:13 am

Went to the Grand opening of the Muscatine Disc Golf Course @ Fuller Park with Harper yesterday.

Congrats to muscatine for getting this long awaited course in the ground.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:29 am

everyone should thank Scott Harmon when you see him. He worked hard for many years to get a course in Muscatine. Way to stick with it Scott. Can't wait to play the course.
GDL17921

Postby Cydisc » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:56 pm

Somebody get that thing listed on the PDGA directory. We're pulling away from Minnesota and California and gaining on Texas.
Cydisc

Muscatine Journal Article

Postby prodiscgolf » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:23 pm

Here's the online version of the newpaper coverage of yesterday's opening ceremonies.

http://www.muscatinejournal.com/article ... 184672.txt

It's truly amazing how much work the City did out there to shape holes and have it open in the same year it was designed. I thought it would have taken them until next spring at the earliest. There's still lots of work to do out there and they know it, but they're making great progress.
prodiscgolf

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:37 pm

so let's hear some course assessments from those that have played it.
GDL17921

Initial Assessment

Postby prodiscgolf » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:44 am

With some editing, I sent this to Scott Harmon indicating my initial take on the course.

The grand opening event was well attended! I was impressed with the number of people who showed up. I wish I was impressed with the short pin placements. It was very easy to tell which holes were designed after my initial layout because they were all either extremely short (less than 200 feet for the short pin) or certainly not a golf shot. I talked to Les during the round after he toured the non-players around the front 9 and he said they'd still be willing to take out more trees, but wanted to see how it went. I suggested they do look at some of the holes and take a few more trees out. I was befuddled with hole 5, one of the better holes they kept of mine. There's a tree just in front of the tee probably 80 feet that has had some sizable limbs cut off it, but the trunk is split considerably. I can't believe they wouldn't just take the tree out especially since it's in the fairway. We talked about just trimming overhanging branches instead of removing whole trees so it can be a subtle difference.

Les was wondering what I'd say about #17's fairway (the sawgrass hole). I think that's why he ended up following us so long. I suggested that they mow more and he said he'd double the width next time. That seemed more appropriate. He also said he'd like to get in the woods and clear out a bunch more of the undergrowth. I explained that the pins should be cleared to at least 30 feet in diameter since some of the pins were just off the back edge of the rough. That one act of clearing will make a world of difference out there.

One other observation - the tee pads weren't very level. Apparently they wanted them to follow the contour of the land - how disappointing. I guess they had a one-ton dump truck to help haul the concrete around the course which sounds like an excellent solution. I wish they had asked for input on how the pads were supposed to be formed.

I’ve asked if I can be told when the baskets all get put in the long positions. I think I will enjoy that more than the short configuration. I recognize that this is their first course, and I can tell they've done a huge amount of work out there. After some other tweaking, I think it will come around.
prodiscgolf

Postby Daddy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:17 pm

I'm going to oplay this course today with some chuckers, I will post my thoughts..... :twisted:
Daddy

Postby Harmon » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:51 pm

keep in mind that course is set in all short placements .... which has a SSA of maybe 48-49 ... lots of reachable holes ... hopefully for tourneys will be set in longs .... with SSA more like 58 .... who knows when the baskets will be moved ... but at least Muscatine has a course to play!

If we have a mini on the 18th ... I will try and have them move baskets to longs ....
Where there is Love there is Hope (Widespread Panic)
Harmon

Postby Daddy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:41 pm

Congrats to Muscatine on the new course!!!! Played very tough even for the shorts. I would like to see the long placements.....NICE JOB Scott. (kinda big creekish with a touch of walnut and a little nimms park, the longs look to be from mars)
Daddy

Postby strokersix » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:57 pm

I really enjoyed playing the course today. Nice use of the elevation. I like the big oak tree in the fairway (13?). Quite a few holes less than 200 ft but most are tough to deuce without some luck getting around or between trees. Can't wait to play the longs! They will be much better. Please, someone post when the baskets are moved to the longs!
strokersix

Postby IHearChains » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:25 pm

Thanks to everyone who worked on this course...Nice job!

A lot of really short holes, but still tricky and fun. Many are narrow and wooded, and with the way the terrain was used they're all different. It looks like the shorts and longs will be like a completely different course. Rough on holes 5-13 is more vicious than West Lake!! Ouch! Is there an herbicide selective for thorn bushes?
IHearChains

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:33 pm

IHearChains wrote: Is there an herbicide selective for thorn bushes?

I think it's called dontthrowinemicide. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby FB32992 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:43 am

wow great course,good elevation change and lots of rough and shule.I would love to play this course in the longs.But even from the shorts it is still very challanging.Lots of tight fairways.Thanks for everyone's hard work.
"No Chain No Game"
Team Iron Lion
http://www.ironliondgs.com/
FB32992

Postby IHearChains » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:15 pm

I think it's called dontthrowinemicide.

Never heard of it. You know where I can buy some?
IHearChains

Postby kindbudtoker » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:45 am

the baskets are moved to the longs! 11/17/06 :D :D
________
Ford Au Falcon
Last edited by kindbudtoker on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kindbudtoker

Next

Return to Muscatine - Fuller Park