I will work for a course...

Postby Alex O » Thu May 31, 2007 2:24 pm

Work day is still on! Saturday June 2 at 10am. We have a strong crew going out, and any and all are welcome. Refreshments provided (that means water). Bring the usual tools: saws, polesaws, chainsaws, pruners, clippers, weed wackers, rakes. See you all there.
Remember Lepanto!
Alex O

Postby K.C. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:51 am

If interested: A few of us are going up to Eagle Point on Sunday (4/13) to do some general work.

- Brush Hogs: I'm trying to rent two (if you have one, or something like it, please bring it)
- Chainsaws: I should have two (if you have one, please bring it)
- Rakes/Shovels/Trimmers: Please bring 'em.

- We'll also be installing some of the baskets. The parks department wants to show off some of the work done, so they want us to put some of the baskets in the ground (and the sleeves will finally get some use)
- If we have time, we'll be assembling the 2x4 frames, so once the holes are dug, we can throw in the frames and cement.

We'll see how much we'll get done, but we'd like to start around 12:30 or 1:00, so those that are religious can get in their Jesus time. :)
K.C.

Postby K.C. » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:30 am

Here's an update:

Yesterday we went through all the wooded holes and ran the brush hog to get rid of all the small shrubbery and saplings. We cleaned up some other areas for general use and for a clean course, and used all the day-light we could.

We also installed 10 baskets for use. (The city asked us to put them in the ground, cuz some big shot wants to see that the money “Iowa Great Places” spotted us is being used, so the director asked us to put some in the ground.)

So, if you look at a map of the course (there is one on the QCDGC website, I believe), this is the breakdown:

Hole 1: Basket in the short placement. Long placement is cleared and ready, need to insert sleeve.
Hole 2: Short and long placements are clear and ready. Need to insert sleeves.
Hole 3: Basket is in the short placement. Need some basic clearing for tee-pad.
Hole 4: Basket is in the short placement. No more work needed, besides tee-pads.
Hole 5: Basket is in the long placement. No more work needed, besides tee-pads.
Hole 6: Basket is in the short placement. Cleared the fairway for the most part. Need to insert long placement sleeve.
Hole 7: Basket is in. Some basic clearing still needed (more like mowing).
Hole 8: Basket is in the long placement. Some mowing necessary.
Hole 9: Basket is in the short placement. Mowing necessary for long placement. Need to insert sleeve for long placement.
Hole 10: Basket is in the short placement. Possible new long placement.
Hole 11: Eliminated.
Hole 12: Long and short placements cleared. Need to insert sleeves.
Hole 13: Need some basic clearing.
Hole 14: Basket is in.
Hole 15: No work necessary.
Hole 16: Considerable clearing done for am and pro routes (two different holes, really). Need to insert sleeve.
Hole 17: Considerable clearing done for both routes. Need to insert long sleeve.
Hole 18: Need to talk to park director about directions.
New hole 18: Need to talk to park director for clarification.
K.C.

Postby K.C. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Alright, so here is what I'm thinking:

Sunday (4/27)
Can we get a crew of people together next Sunday, and dig out and pour the rest of the holes and sleeves? Those holes include:
- 1 long
- 2 short, 2 long
- 6 long
- 9 long
- 10 new position/long
- 12 short, 12 long
- 13 short??? (This may be done, I don't remember.)
- 16 placement
- 17 long
- 18 short, 18 long
- New 18 placement

So, in the end, we'll need to MANUALLY auger 14 holes, and throw in the cement.
- If anyone can make it, that'd be wonderful! If you have an auger tool, it'll get used. If not, bring spades/shovels/that sort of thing. Also, depending on how many people show up, we could probably use levels (the little ones work wonderfully), duct tape, and some patience.

Sunday (5/11)
Can we get a crew together to help dig up the tee-pads. Steve Hurt is going to bring up his skid-loader. Dan, if you could make it...we'd LOVE the help, but I know how busy you are. I'll also be contacting Reed to see if I can rent his for a couple days.
- We'll be diggin' up 18 tee-pads, and then putting the 2"x4" frames in the ground.

Monday (5/12)
I'm hoping this is a possibility. I'm going to take off work to be there and the cement company said that they could do this on a week-day instead of on the weekend, so maybe I can get some help. We'll need to throw in the concrete. I'm hoping to still have the skid loader from Reed, but I'm sure Steve will be at his job. We'll just need to transport the cement from the parking lot to the tee locations.

Sunday (5/18)
Can we get a crew together to dig up the rest of the tee-pads. Steve will be available again, and I'll try to get the skid-loader from Reed again.

Monday (5/19)
I'm going to take that Monday off again, and try to fill the rest of the forms.

I know, I'm asking alot, but we're trying to finish this thing up as soon as we can. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and we'll soon have another beautiful course to enjoy.
K.C.

Postby K.C. » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:49 am

I have no idea who might be interested that is in the Clinton area, but I’ll throw this out there anyway:

There are currently 12 baskets in the ground. Tomorrow by noon we’ll be putting in the remaining 4. (They’re in an arrangement of short/medium/long placements.) And, we’ll also be finalizing the remaining two holes. (We ran into one snag, so the hole numbers have been “tweaked”.) But, if you have the time, or want to check out what the course will possibly look like, the baskets are in the ground to throw at.

Note: There are no tee-pads marked, there are no directional arrows, all the fairways aren't perfectly clear and mowed, but there are baskets. So..if anyone wants a “sneak preview”, have at ‘em. The course map on the QCDGC website gives a pretty good layout (minus the hole number changes…#11 is eliminated), if you need a little assistance.

Otherwise, the cement should be in the ground within 3 weeks (barring no more precipitation to saturate the ground even more).
K.C.

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:44 pm

So when is your next workday? Looking at your itinerary above puts it on Mother's Day. Is that correct?
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Sprague » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:54 pm

I was considering the Mother's Day work day as well, but it's out of my hand's - if I can make it out in the morning I will.

Isn't that why we lost the weekend for the Rumble :lol:

kidding...

weekends are bad for me, and with Camden II occupying my mind - I'm pretty busy. But I wouldn't mind dividing my time a little, especially if we continue to see more participation and progress - sounds like you guys need more help as well!
Sprague

Postby K.C. » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:31 pm

As for now, I'm still planning on heading up there on Mother's Day. (I'm not working around Hurts' schedule, anyway.) Its all really coming down to how soft the ground will be. As always, we'll take as much help as people'll give. If you can, yes...we'd appreciate the help. No matter what, I'm finishin' this bastard soon.
K.C.

Postby K.C. » Thu May 08, 2008 1:17 pm

K.C. wrote:As for now, I'm still planning on heading up there on Mother's Day. (I'm not working around Hurts' schedule, anyway.) Its all really coming down to how soft the ground will be. As always, we'll take as much help as people'll give. If you can, yes...we'd appreciate the help. No matter what, I'm finishin' this bastard soon.

Yeah, I'm dumb. After talkin' with the wife, she put a real quick nix on me working this weekend. (Which was fine, cuz Hurt let me know that he can't do it this weekend, either.)

Planning on next weekend, though, for those that wish to help out a bit.
K.C.

Postby K.C. » Fri May 16, 2008 3:07 pm

Last minute effort to get a little more help on Monday, the 19th.

I'm happy with the crew, don't get me wrong...but the more, the better/easier to getting 18 tee-pads poured.

I promised Sprague that I'd work until 12 if he could spare the time to help...so I'll have everyone back in the QC by around 1 (and I'll be heading to Camden II later to help as well).

I'm hoping to have crews of 3 people per tee-pad, with Ronrazz following up with the trowel/brush work.

So far I've got Resch, Alex, Wes, Sprague, Ron, A.J., Mike R., myself, and possibly Brad E. More people is better, as cement work is tiring. I've got 3 loads of cement coming, starting at 8 am.

Please meet at the course at 8, or give me a call before-hand, I know I'm giving a few people rides up.
- I'm pickin' Mike up just before 7, and I'd like to leave my place just after 7, if possible.

Thanks to everyone in advance, and hope there are a few more that could spare some time.

K.C.
K.C.

Postby Orange Guy » Fri May 16, 2008 3:42 pm

I don't see this working for me. I drop my daughter off at preschool at 8:45 ... google maps tells me it would take me about an hour to get there. So I get there at 9:45. I'd have to leave at 10:45 to get back in time to pick her up at noon. I can't justify the gas for an hour.

BTW, I had no luck with the in-laws picking her up.
Orange Guy

Postby KePP » Sat May 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Hole 1: Short pad to short placement.
KePP

Postby Kelly K » Sat May 17, 2008 7:50 pm

sweet! if i didn't have a dr appt monday morning (in cedar rapids), i'd totally try to come help you guys there in the morning before camden...

just that picture alone~ looks like a s-weet course!!!

kudo's to all involved!
Kelly K

Postby treeMD » Sat May 17, 2008 8:19 pm

KC i think i missed your phone call the other day, sorry. id be glad to come up monday morning to lend a hand if there is someone from the qc that would like to give me a ride. the picture of hole one looks sweet!!!! too bad the course isnt a little closer to home.
Q 32845
treeMD

Postby KePP » Sun May 18, 2008 9:47 pm

KePP

PreviousNext

Return to Clinton - Eagle Point Park