Oh yesss, home course

For disc golf purposes, would you rather live on the North side of Des Moines, or the south side of Des Moines

North Side
72%
South Side
28%

Total votes : 29

Oh yesss, home course

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:22 am

I just moved out to Johntson about a mile east of 141 on 62nd Ave. I am proud to say that I am only a 10 minute drive from Walnut now. That is a little bit of an upgrade from a 10 minute drive to Southwoods. Although I will miss the best nine holer in the state, I am so grateful to have Walnut as my new home course. Not to mention Big Creek is about hop skip and a jump away now as well. That got me thinking; What is the better side of Des Moines for disc golf? The North side, or the South side.
Last edited by Buzzznation on Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buzzznation

Postby Mount » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:54 am

definately the north side to be by Walnut and BC
Mount

Postby 10up » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:17 pm

the north side of des moines is awful. Granted Big Creek and Walnut are great courses, but alot of the time when I play a round of golf I won't have all day. On the south side you have easy access to Grandview, Ewing, the new Crivaro Course, Greenwood next summer, and for a much shorter drive than out north you can get to Indianola to play the hands down best course in the state Pickard. Even if it were a contest (in my mind) I couldn't say too much about it because regardless of which side of town you live on, I-80 to 141 isn't all that hard of a drive. Much easier than the QC going from... like, East Moline to West Davenport.

For the record though, I am not a southsider, I live in Western Des Moines.
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:14 pm

To add to the southside list there is also Waterworks. Heritage has worked it's way into a great course. That has to draw some attention to the North side. I would say Grandview is a neutral course (equidistant for both sides. However, I am very dissapointed that I have added another 15 minutes to my commute to Pickard. If you do pull the Pickard card for the south side, you could include Ames for the North siders :D
Buzzznation

Postby 10up » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:27 pm

My main point was that the south side caters to every disc golf mood, whereas the courses Walnut and Big Creek are Monsters. Wonderful, Technical, Phenomenal Monsters, but Monsters all the same, and sometimes, I just don't have that kind of time.

When I do have the time to sit down and say, cool, I get to play a Monster today, the extra 10 minutes it takes me to get there from here is no longer an issue. But when I don't have the time to play a monster, then the extra 10 minutes it takes me to get to Grandview or Waterworks does become an issue.

P.S. South and North is usually dictated by Hickman Road which puts Grandview clearly in the South.

P.P.S. Indianola is Less than 20 miles away from Des Moines whereas Ames is over 35, that's almost twice the distance so I think that's a stretch comparison, you can have Heritage and I'd even be willing to say Altoona... but Ames? :roll:
10up

Postby 10up » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:32 pm

Damn... I'm reppin the Southside....

See? This is exactly the reason I effin hate Johnston and everything it stands for...
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:50 pm

10up wrote:My main point was that the south side caters to every disc golf mood, whereas the courses Walnut and Big Creek are Monsters. Wonderful, Technical, Phenomenal Monsters, but Monsters all the same, and sometimes, I just don't have that kind of time.

:

They do have short pads you know. And for a quick round; I think the quickest round you can play is in Dallas Center. I played that course in less than a half hour. Again, on the north side. :D
Buzzznation

Postby 10up » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:07 pm

and I suppose you could pop over to waukee too, but I thought we were talking about Courses...

And playing Walnut in the longs from the shorts isn't grueling, you're right, but it's still going to take over an hour or more. I think the logic of my argument is undeniable, for immediate access to a larger variety Southern Des Moines has more to offer, and, when you want monsters, they aren't far.

I am very happy that you are close to Walnut and Big Creek, and I also would count that as a plus if I were to be in that area, but c'mon Steve... Join the revolution that I've... just now... um, started. It's the Anti-West Des Moines/Johnston Plastic Development Committee of Some.... Sort.

Anyways... cool
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:35 pm

10up wrote:

I am very happy that you are close to Walnut and Big Creek, and I also would count that as a plus if I were to be in that area, but c'mon Steve... Join the revolution that I've... just now... um, started. It's the Anti-West Des Moines/Johnston Plastic Development Committee of Some.... Sort.

That and the Proud Indefinite Supporter of the South Side Org (PISSS) :lol:
Buzzznation

Postby Clue » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:00 pm

The answer is clearly....

EAST SIDE!!!

GV, Ewing, Crivaro, Heritage, Altoona, and it's closer to the QC!!!

The only advantage Johnston has is that it's closer to Tank. Who cares. Bwaaaaaaaahhhhh
Clue

Postby 10up » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:04 pm

holla holla, at least somebody knows what I'm talkin bout' shit...
10up

Postby CopperClone » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:37 pm

Give me the South Side (GV,Ewing, even Workworks). Walnut and Big Creek has way too much poison ivy.
Always give into peer pressure.
CopperClone

Postby shane » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:24 pm

I'm on Merle Hay rd and love it. I'm 20 min. from Big Creek, 15 from Walnut,13 from GV and Waterworks, 15 from Southwoods and 19 from Ewing.It does suck for Pickard but it also sucks for J and B. :mrgreen:
on a side note: it's not like Ewing even counts anymore.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby 10up » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:36 am

bah-zing
10up

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:25 pm

Thank you Shane, way to represent. Also, the east side wasn't an option, and even if there were three courses within 5 minutes on the east side, I still would not live there. :D
Last edited by Buzzznation on Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buzzznation

Next

Return to Des Moines (Johnston) - Walnut Ridge Recreation Area