Music

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby Single L » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:29 am

Meredith Wilson wins in my book.

He's by far the most famous Iowa musician. People might not know who he is but if you are over the age of 50 you have probably seen the movie based on the musical by Wilson. I think its part of Iowa's sub-par curriculum.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby irban » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:57 am

I knew there was an Iowa Everly Brothers tie. Maybe we could claim them. I see Kentucky is kind of angling for them on his forum. Though Ken seems to waver on whether a duo is a band.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby O_D » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Second the Greg Brown vote. He and Pieta are playing Hoyt Sherman on May 3rd.

I'd also go for Bo Ramsey, but now we're getting into quality/quantity thing.

If somebody mentions the Nada's we have to start a new thread.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby O_D » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:44 pm

Just saw Ween is playing Harrahs in Council Bluffs on July 20th. I told myself after the Val Air show I will not miss another Ween show within 3 hours drive.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby Cydisc » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:50 pm

O_D wrote:If somebody mentions the Nada's we have to start a new thread.

I like the Nadas. It's a State Fair tradition to catch their show at the KCCI stage.

The Stones count the Everly Brothers as an early influence, so that should tell you all you need to know.
Cydisc

Postby Like_Water » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:12 am

O_D wrote:Just saw Ween is playing Harrahs in Council Bluffs on July 20th. I told myself after the Val Air show I will not miss another Ween show within 3 hours drive.

I might be in for this one!
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby O_D » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:40 pm

That day is also the start of Ragbrai. I think we are going to the start Mo. Valley Saturday, ride half the day, catch a sag to the show and stay at harrahs, then catch a sag to hook back up with the route Monday morning.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby O_D » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:42 pm

I35-I80 bands anounced: http://www.80-35.com/

Flaming Lips, Roots, YMSB, Drive By Truckers...and more.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:51 pm

O_D wrote:I35-I80 bands anounced: http://www.80-35.com/

Flaming Lips, Roots, YMSB, Drive By Truckers...and more.

What the he!!. I hadn't even heard about this. It's about time we get a festival like this in Des Moines. I'm marking my calendar now.

Did anyone catch Hot Buttered Rum last week at Vaudville's? Every time they come in to town I can't make it :evil:
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby irban » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:43 pm

~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby irban » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:41 am

from http://www.aquariumdrunkard.com/

Back in the late sixties CBS used to broadcast Playboy After Dark, Hugh Hefner’s swinging variety show featuring artists, actors, beat poets, comics and, of particular interest, great musical guest performances from the likes James Brown, The Grateful Dead, Marvin Gaye, Harry Nilsson, The Byrds, and Ike & Tina Turner. Today we have The Girls Next Door. What the Chuck happened, Hugh?

Filmed on a Los Angeles sound stage, Playboy After Dark was set dressed to affect an after-hours party vibe back at the mansion. Hugh, playing himself, surrounded (naturally) by various women and hangers-on, conducts what are supposed to give the appearance of impromptu interviews. Here, Jerry Garcia is seen (and heard) saying something about buck knives (?) before the Hef interrupts inquiring “if the hippie scene is changing now.” Garcia, characteristically, spits out some half stoned mumbo-jumbo before the band launches into fantastic, era appropriate, rendering of “Mountains On The Moon –> St. Stephen”. Dig it.

Note: This episode was recorded January 18th 1969 - one week before the Dead’s January 26th performance at the Avalon Ballroom, which, along with the Fillmore West show, would soon become the band’s first live release, Live Dead. Per the taping, Garcia later went on record stating the band dosed the sound stage’s craft services beverage table with liquid LSD smuggled in via eye droppers, therefore dosing the majority of the extras, crew, and cast.
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:10 am

hey, the Girls Next Door is high quality cans - err - entertainment... :lol:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby irban » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:53 pm

~~~- ¥
irban

Postby irban » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:46 pm

Lykke Li. Great imagery. Nice song.

Jeez, I hope I'm not late for league!
~~~- ¥
irban

Postby irban » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:27 am

Neils and OD nightmare?! Looks like an awesome place for a party. Pretty cool.

Joan Baez and her sister!! Plus Neil and Stephan dualing.
~~~- ¥
irban

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club