Why I love West Lake (aka par topic)

Postby KePP » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:51 pm

swan wrote:a weak-ass putter down to the corner ...

That's my route (weak!). Tried it both times from the shorts and both times pussed it into the corner bush. Won't puss it again. Throwin that placement putter basically announces "I'm scared to throw a sidearm over the water and won't deuce it anyways." But I would definitely say the righty hyzer is not the route.

This is one of the few holes at WL that is lefty-friendly. No, I'm not a lefty.
KePP

Postby batlord » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:53 pm

Whiner wrote:
KePP wrote:
89. Steady Steddom nailed it hole for hole.

The only one I disagree with is "new 19" long as a par 3. That's a tiny green to land on from 377' for a birdie putt, on a hole that's 80% water and 20% thin strip of land. As added incentive, Par 90 sounds cooler and is easier to remember.

I was unaware that there was the long position at the time. I agree with all of Kepp's points regarding 19. So I guess Chad is going to have to ammend the new score card. :twisted:

I know some of you have questioned the par on hole #19. Here is what I wrote to Wes (when he cornered me about it - ha ha). I hope it makes sense.

-as far as hole 19, I went back and forth on this hole (yes for hours like you said). I decided on the 3 from the pro tee. I think most players are going to end up playing the short tee on that hole. If you're feeling gutsy enough to play the longs, then you're going to be pretty confident in throwing hard at it, even if it's a dump into the woods, which I think are going to open up a LOT from either tee and make it a much easier shot. It was either a long 3 or a short 4. IF I left it at three, it's one stroke more difficult to get to par (so yes, I'm a mean b@stard - ha ha ha). I went back and forth on it and stuck with the 3...

Furthermore, if it were a Par 4, then you would likely see a LOT of eagles on that hole, and the rest who didn't end up in the water are going to take a birdie. IF that hole were on dry land, it would be an EASY three. The way it is now, it's a challenging three.

This is just an ESTIMATE of what I see happening by keeping the hole a Par 3:
    5-10% of pros will birdie this.
    70-75% of pros will par this.
    10-15% of pros will dump one in the drink.

I think that makes for waaay more exciting and challenging golf. It's a challenging course - by keeping this hole a par 3, it upholds the integrity of the rest of the course. On most holes, you have to play SOLID golf to get par. Hole 19 should be the same way. If it were a Par 4, you could play crap (or even carp) golf and still get par.

I ALMOST want to rescind my comment about it being a challenging three. If you've got a 200 foot drive, you can still get par. I'm not penalizing golfers by making it a three - truly. Technically, I should say it's a difficult 2 or an easy 3. I won't though. However, I'm not just going to hand 80% of players a birdie - where's the challenge in that?

I'll respectfully stand by my decision to make hole 19 a Par 3. (At the same time, I'm REALLY glad to get your input on the course and pars - Thank you!!)
batlord

Postby KePP » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:38 pm

Eng for president
KePP

Postby batlord » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:47 pm

KePP wrote:Eng for president

I found out a couple of years ago, some knob wrote me in as a candidate for Illinois PDGA coordinator. I'm hoping it wasn't you, Kep. ha ha ha. I served my time, now it's Resch's turn He's doing great things. I hope you guys are showing him some thanks. (I know you are, Wes.)
batlord

Previous

Return to Davenport - West Lake