Want to get better,Learn to throw your putter

Learn to throw from local experts.

Want to get better,Learn to throw your putter

Postby Eminem4president » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:55 am

Recently, I have had about 5 people, I dont know, approach me on the course with the want to get better. They always ask me how they can acheive this. I tell them the same story.
Chris Oien tried to teach me 3 years ago this importance on learning to throw a putter. I tried and tried and couldn't do it and I eventually told myself "I can become a great Open Player without learning to throw a putter"

Not true!!

I have forced myself to learn it and I have seen it shave strokes of my score. You have a truer line for your shot, the shot is very predictable and you will always get less "skip away".

Today,I am excited once I get within 200-250 feet so I can reach for the putter.

How do I teach myself to throw a putter you ask?

Great question!

The Putter toss:

You will need:

10 putters the same mold
A temp Basket or anything that can be a target. I actually used to use a 55 gallon trash can.

Set your target out about 200-225 feet.

Throw all 10 putters hyser at the basket, go get them.
Throw 10 shots all anhyser, go get 'em
Throw all 10 straight at the target...go get 'em

That's one set.

Repeat this step about 5 sets or as long as you can remain focused and fundaMENTAL. Obviously, the more you do it, the better you will get, faster.

Do about 5 sessions of this and you will shave 2 strokes off your average.

At this range, you will feel confidence from closer in and throwing in putters from all over the course will become a trademark move. :D
I don't "Owe You" like 2 vowels...

A million here, a million there...
Eminem4president

Postby karma27895 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:03 am

no offense but that did not really work for me the best way to learn to throw putters is to use the two or possibly the three that u use and pratice like you are playing that seems to be workin for me imo that is
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby Eminem4president » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:33 am

How can you "practice like you are playing" if you haven't figured out what your doing? You need to completely understand the disc flight characteristics @ all angles, in all winds to be truely affective with it.

Reputition is the key.

I make money TEACHING disc golf and have for a couple of years, so thanks for adding your run-on sentence jargan and disregarding information taught to me, over the years, by 3 former and current World Champions.

Eminem4president

Postby flyinplastic23 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:50 am

:D Thank you for both of your opinions!!! :D

Kelly|spreading love and joy
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby Like_Water » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:11 am

Throwing a putter is the best way to learn to throw any disc. It may not go as far, but eventually it should. That's right, you should be able to throw your putter 300ft. Just like the fast discs.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:32 am

This post is approved by the best Aviar thrower in the Quad Cities.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby RedEye19357 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:38 am

See I throw my putter with a fan style grip and at first I was not getting the D I wanted, but over time I started to get it down. Now I can throw a putter 250-300 feet in a fan grip. So are you going to tell people they need to find a comfortable grip that works for them or are you going to tell them to grip a putter like they would there other disc. For me I have found gripping the putter with my fingers curled under the rim just does not work, but I guess everyone would be different. I personally like the fan style grip when ever I am using my putter.
RedEye19357

Postby Eminem4president » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:33 pm

redeye19357 wrote: So are you going to tell people they need to find a comfortable grip that works for them or are you going to tell them to grip a putter like they would there other disc. For me I have found gripping the putter with my fingers curled under the rim just does not work, but I guess everyone would be different. I personally like the fan style grip when ever I am using my putter.

Golf is all feel. "Gripping the putter with my fingers curled under the rim" will results in more success with a driver in your hand. Your absolutely right. you will find you demonstrate less control if you throw that style w/ a putter.

I think a fan grip can be affective when practiced alot. Did it take you awhile to adjust to that?

I only fan grip once I am inside 60-70 feet on putts.

I throw my putters in a third sequence, right inbetween fan grip and tucked. My finger tips sit flat on the underside of the flight plate and my index fingers first knuckle crease straddles the bead. I have found alot more control that way.

Eminem4president

Postby Lou Siffer » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:46 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:This post is approved by the best Aviar thrower in the Quad Cities.

Jeremy?
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:56 pm

IMURME wrote:
MDR_3000 wrote:This post is approved by the best Aviar thrower in the Quad Cities.

Jeremy?

hell no. I took that title from him a while ago.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby RedEye19357 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:18 pm

Eminem4president wrote:
redeye19357 wrote: So are you going to tell people they need to find a comfortable grip that works for them or are you going to tell them to grip a putter like they would there other disc. For me I have found gripping the putter with my fingers curled under the rim just does not work, but I guess everyone would be different. I personally like the fan style grip when ever I am using my putter.

Golf is all feel. "Gripping the putter with my fingers curled under the rim" will results in more success with a driver in your hand. Your absolutely right. you will find you demonstrate less control if you throw that style w/ a putter.

I think a fan grip can be affective when practiced alot. Did it take you awhile to adjust to that?

I only fan grip once I am inside 60-70 feet on putts.

I throw my putters in a third sequence, right inbetween fan grip and tucked. My finger tips sit flat on the underside of the flight plate and my index fingers first knuckle crease straddles the bead. I have found alot more control that way.

Yes it took me awhile to get used to the fan grip because I was taught when I first started you always curl your fingers inside the rim for all shots. But after I started fan gripping I seen more control and over time I developed distance.
RedEye19357

Postby Birdman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:23 pm

i would strongly agree that repetition with the putter is key. when i first got my star aviar i was really bad with it and i went back to my old aviar. but after 2 hours of creating situations playing shots from long distances and short i love my star aviar for my approach shots and reach for it more and more everyday.
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby Like_Water » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:02 pm

When throwing any disc, I use the power grip...sometimes its a fork style on the mids, but in general when I'm throwing I grip it the same.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby The Donator » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:24 pm

Discwrangler wrote:When throwing any disc, I use the power grip...sometimes its a fork style on the mids, but in general when I'm throwing I grip it the same.

Same here. I grip a driver, mid, and putter all with 2 fingers and thumb on top, for every throw, in every situation. Ive tried the power grip with the putters, but it feels really awkward and I griplock it every time.
I speak my mind, cuz bitin' my tongue hurts
The Donator

Postby Mount » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:17 pm

I personally will not fan grip until I am putting. I throw my putters for drives with the power grip just as I would throw my drivers. For me it is just the most consistent way to throw.
Mount

Next

Return to Throwing Technique