Putting Stance

The most important skill in the game, learn it here

Putting Stance

Postby swan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:12 am

What are the factors that go into deciding to putt with squared shoulders or a leading shoulder?

Obviously feel/preference, but would anyone say one is more beneficial from certain ranges? Seems to me that squared shoulders would yield less power hence maybe more suitable for shorter putts... say 20' and in?

Comments? Experiences?
Thanks.
swan

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:00 pm

I'd recommend practicing both. Personally, when I feel like I'm in a putting slump, I go to the straddle (squared shoulders, as you're calling it) putt. I think that this allows me to take some factors out of the equation....like balance for example, and it gets my stroke back on. You're really just focusing on your arm and release. I'm comfortable straddle putting anywhere inside 50 feet, but I don't always do it.

When I'm jump putting (outside of 50 feet), it's always going to be the other though. That's just what works for me though. You have to throw 10,000 putts both ways to figure out what's most comfortable and works best for you.
GDL17921

Postby KePP » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:08 pm

Staggered vs Straddle

I'm right there with Jay. You definitely want both. Actually, you either want both, or just straddle. Throughout the evolution of your game, you'll probably flip flop between the two as you go in and out of slumps and changes. Another big reason is that your lie doesn't always allow you to do a staggered stance. If there's a tree in your way, which can be often at some courses, a straddle stance to either side can open up a line for your putt. If you're on a steep uphill slant, the forward lean and momentum used in a staggered stance changes drastically, so you may want to consider a more stationary stance, the straddle putt.

As for distance, it does initially seem like squared shoulders (straddle) would yield less power, but in fact, I've found the opposite to be true. The reason is because the straddle stance generates its power from the huge muscles in your thighs (quads & gluts). The staggered stance, however, generates its power from only one leg instead of both. While the staggered stance does use momentum shift to make-up for the reduced power, for me personally it isn't enough to offset the strength of using both legs.

It wasn't until recently that I was able to become comfortable with the straddle putt. For me, its made the 30' putts take less effort, has increased my jump putt range, and when I miss with straddle putts, its usually only high or low, rarely left or right. When I miss doing the more comfortable staggered putt, the misses are everywhere.
KePP

Postby swan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:11 pm

HA :lol: ... thanks fellas. Along with learning technique I'm also learning terminology. Straddle and staggered it is. :oops:

Being that I'm practicing indoors with a max of about 20 ft, long distance isn't something I've factored in yet. I found that at 20' and in, it's been easier to establish a better rhythm with the straddle. Timing the leg bend/extension with the arm flex has proven to be a nice pattern to follow.

But also, using the staggered stance at about 10-12 feet makes it pretty easy to just lean out and kind of drop it in there. Remember the Grand Prize Game on the Bozo Show? Kind of like the first couple of buckets. Maybe if those kids would've incorporated the straddle stance for buckets 3-6, they would've won more prizes.

Thanks again guys. Any other tips on putting would be appreciated. Can't wait to get outside.
swan

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:37 pm

swan wrote:Being that I'm practicing indoors with a max of about 20 ft, long distance isn't something I've factored in yet.

Last winter I practiced from the same distance in my basement. My putting improved drastically. 5', 10, 20'...It's better than 0'. I feel that range is perfect for practicing all types of putts. I'd even do jump putts from there even though it is illegal. Unfortunately, I am in the process of finishing my basement. so the days of conditioned putting are over.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby flyinplastic23 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:11 pm

The Chick perspective:

I use both... like everyone else it is all conditional, for the most part I stagger my stance but still have my sholders and hips square to the target. Experiment with your feet how linear they should be. If your feet are too much one in front of the other you will lose balance and strength, too wide, and now you are straddle putting which might change your mechanics of release. After taking lessons from sprague he had me try widening my stance a bit.

I also straddle putt around objects, downhill (cause then i squat and it makes the grade of decline less), uneven footing or just cause thats what feels right when I walk up to my lie.

I practice both putting styles equally from all distances. I also practice putting around objects like trees or over bushes (hot tub :) ) I also jump putt quite a bit. I know that my shot will be up and down and wont miss to the sides. For a while, and even sometimes now I trust my jump putt more from great distances than I do my upshot. I have a great back yard for working on approach and putting. I go across the alley to the neighbors and work on approach shots anhyzer and hyzer around the bushes and trees.

Another way to practice putting is to get a routine, Make x amount of shots from where you are comfortable to start... that way you have the confidence when you move back... just keep going back till you are out of that comfort zone. Work there for a while, then go back into your comfort zone to regain confidence, control, and form, then march back out. Make sure to switch styles! And get the same mold of your putter so you can do at least three. I always use a mini and i always start my routine over for every putt. Remember everyone style is different, some loft or elevator putt, some go straight at it... find out what works for you!

If you hate putting, make it your new favorite!

p.s. i think its great that you cant go past 20 ft to start. Thats where they say you should make all your putts from. 30 is probably better... but you will have a solid range of where you know you can make your putts. Anything outside of your range that you make becomes a bonus. Eventually your range will be come bigger!
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby swan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:04 am

flyinplastic23 wrote:If you hate putting, make it your new favorite!

I love putting! Always have, always will. That's where you score and in DG that's where you get to bang the chains.

Thanks Kelly. It seems you and I have similar ideas. I've been concentrating on finding a good stance that is balanced and it seems to be the "staggered, but square" version you're referring to. It just feels good for now. Add on 10-15 more feet and I'm sure I'll have to adjust again, but it's all good presently.
swan

Postby dx pete » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:16 pm

Swan, don't listen to them! Putters are for sissies. Take out your biggest driver, close your eyes and visualize the basket exploding. Then get a good 70-80 feet of run-up, do a 360 and unleash all of your fury in the general direction of the basket. If it would make you feel better you can "land" in a stagger or straddle stance as you proclaim your triumph, like a man. I've seen Eng and Robinson do this and they are pretty good. Also, when jump-putting, the most effective motion would either be moving you body like a cyclone, or doing an Eddie VanHalen guitar jump.
opulence, I has it.
dx pete

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Eddie VanHalen guitar jump

awesome!!!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby swan » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Thanks for the tips Pete. Being somewhat of a novice I might need to alter some of the specifics:

1) 70-80 ft of run up: That's a lot of running all at once. Maybe start off with a brisk, arm-swingin' speedwalk and accelerate to a full sprint. You know? Momentum.

2) Do a 360 and unleash: I like this. A strong finish on one knee a la Dave Kingman would do it, yes? Maybe a grunt for good measure. I'm feelin' this one. (we need an emoticon for "dat's right beeeyotch")

3) Jump putting: The EVH Scissor Jump could do it, but I was thinking something like one of those bitchin' Matrix-style floating jumps. Cross one of those with the Daniel Larusso Crane Technique for max style points. You're looking so good, it doesn't even matter if you make the putt.

I get the feeling that Pete and I would make an interesting doubles team. :twisted:
swan

Postby KePP » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:24 pm

When I read pete's post I could hear him saying it with a straight face while demonstrating said maneuvers. Better than youtube.
KePP

Postby geoffreylaw » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:44 pm

dx pete wrote:Swan, don't listen to them! Putters are for sissies. Take out your biggest driver, close your eyes and visualize the basket exploding. Then get a good 70-80 feet of run-up, do a 360 and unleash all of your fury in the general direction of the basket. If it would make you feel better you can "land" in a stagger or straddle stance as you proclaim your triumph, like a man. I've seen Eng and Robinson do this and they are pretty good. Also, when jump-putting, the most effective motion would either be moving you body like a cyclone, or doing an Eddie VanHalen guitar jump.

3rd time I've read that and I still laugh my *ss off.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby DrasticPlastic » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Last edited by DrasticPlastic on Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrasticPlastic

Postby Orange Guy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:46 pm

I've had the opportunity to do a lot of indoor putting over the past few weeks, and while stance is something I've been working on, so is focus.

I realized that I just stepped up and focused on the center pole. And I realized that wasn't working. Not sure how I came to this conclusion, but I have better accuracy when I shift my aim to one set of chains right of the center pole and about 6 links down from the top.

What do you all aim at?
Orange Guy

Postby KePP » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:29 pm

About the same spot. Higher and righter from farther away. But I focus on one link, which makes the margin of error feel larger. This is, of course, when I actually focus. Which is rare.
KePP

Next

Return to Putting Technique