Greenwood: The Final Nail

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:31 pm

Immediately I think of the IBM Ideating commercials. We always seem to talk about cleaning/ fixing up our beloved courses, and it is the same handful of people that help out. I really don't think there is any magic that can motivate people to come out and do work. Heck, in college we'd tell everyone there would be plenty of safety planning, they'd all show up and then stand around and do nothing. I think if we set up a set day of the week and time would help (which day and time, I don't know). You know which day and time every week. That elimates the guessing. Maybe even have 2 days a week. the more bodies the better, but 10 different guys on 2 different days is just as good as 20 on one day. I did think of one way to get people motivated. Say we won't host the Challene if evryone doesn't put in X amount of hours :twisted: That would get people to come. I can't thank people enough the commitment they put forth for keeping our courses. It is not a fun task, but it is rewarding. I feel good stepping up to the tee pad and saying to myself that I help spread mulch on this hole. If I could pick a time and day to do work. Early Saturday morning, get it done and out of the way, then play a round or two to celebrate your triumph. Word of mouth is the best way to get people involved hands down.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Joe Cool » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:03 am

Buzzznation wrote:It is not a fun task, but it is rewarding.

That's a Fact.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
Joe Cool

Postby KePP » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:22 am

Buzzznation wrote:Immediately I think of the IBM Ideating commercials.

Here's my avatar. Its all teh rage. I can do business, I even own my own island! It's innovation.
KePP

Union Park

Postby schroeder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:07 pm

How about Union Park with the Rocket slide easy 9-12 holes there if properly laid out maybe even 18 holes hell I don't know......
schroeder

Re: Union Park

Postby irban » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:08 am

schroeder wrote:How about Union Park with the Rocket slide easy 9-12 holes there if properly laid out maybe even 18 holes hell I don't know......

Yeah, we set up temp 18 hole courses there for the Challenge for 3 years or so. There is plenty of room. We thought that was the park the city wanted us in, when we thought Grandview was out. Then when we got some baskets and approached them, they were reluctant because it is kind of a garden park. They said, how about Grandview, and we said 'Great'! (when I say 'we', I mean Steve Nixt and Becky)

The holes weren't all that interesting. There are a lot of mature trees, but not a lot of elevation differences, or natural obstacles. I suppose a different design might help.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Cydisc » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:20 am

I remember that course when it was set up for World's Biggest in '97. I don't remember being too excited about it after having played M*rgo.
Cydisc

Postby Sprague » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:52 pm

The Worlds Biggest 97 was a record breaker nation wide, winning the club Altoona's equipment!

My first round of disc golf ever was at the Altoona course quickly followed by a trip to M*rgo mid Jun 97!

Thanks Becky and Steve!

They dug Grandview teepads in mid summer 97 - Juliana, Steve, Kuzi, Latch and probably Kloster (actually there were usually about 12people) Good to be apart of the team and taking ownership of the course!

GV was hot in the summer / felt like a true wooded course.

Working on the courses makes you feel like a stock holder, should develope a volunteer shares program worth club "Merch Tickets" based on volunteer performance - have bonuses for leadership and results (gift certificates could be used / if a business hesitates about giving money, you can always come out it with coupons or more)
Sprague

Previous

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club