Greenwood: The Final Nail

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby rightcunnin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:25 am

Shane, I'm off work the day before the Ice Bowl. If this snow were getting ends up recoating the tee pads, I can help reclaim them. Let me know, Walsh
I'm sorry that the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours.
rightcunnin

Location: further out of my f-in mind than previously thought.

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:28 am

shane wrote:The reality is theres no sense in redoing a course if it doesnt need it. I don't want to start picking at every hole on every course. We have THE BEST SET OF COURSES IN THE WORLD why mess that up.

There's always room for improvement! What if the best just get better? Besides, that title won't last forever if we don't maintain and improve what we have. This sport is growing very rapidly around this country and cities are embracing this game more and more.

If money is the issue, we can address that. If it's manpower, I think we have enough willing and able bodies, they just need to be organized to be effective. Not that these are super simple tasks, but they aren't impossible.

If we don't know what the master plan is for either of these courses, we can try to find out, or wait and see. I think you already asked about Grandview, right Shane? Either way we can't really do much until they do what they're gonna do.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby shane » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:21 am

Let me use last year before the challenge as an example. The week before, league was at Big Creek. We had 6 truck loads of brush that needed moved before the tourney and simply out of the middle of the fairways. I told everyone before hand, there was 50 people there for league later and still Fausch and I were the only ones doing the hauling. A couple of people stopped and helped load the last load on their way to the pads or drug a few limbs. I'm going to take whatever help I can get so if your reading this and you helped in any matter I appreciate it and I'm not bitching I'm just telling people what reality is. It's just like when the courses before me were put in everyone shows up and helps the day that the baskets are going in the ground you got to love it. So before we go and do a lot of work that we would like to do lets get these people together for the work that we need to do.
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby irban » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:00 am

Yeah, it was a lot easier to get people to help when we didn't have any courses. We had work days at Margo with 25 people I think. Then as we got further along, people started playing more and helping less, myself included.

Anybody think of some creative ways to prod people into it? Is the best time after work or the weekend?

Sometimes I remember working starting early Saturday, with a round of doubles after. Maybe we could have added cash to the doubles, only available to the ones who show up to work? I know Saturday's start to get busy as the season comes on, but this might work early or late in the season?

Or what about a pledge from people to do so much work. I don't know what the incentive would be to make the pledge, the church offers eternal salvation. What do we have? Golf lessons from Tanner? The opportunity to team up with a pro in doubles? Party or something like that? I hear the fraternities whack their pledges on the ass and stuff, we certainly can beat that, no pun intended.

One thing is I don't think everyone gets the word. I saw Shane's post after the day was already past, the original post was a few weeks before. Also, a lot of people don't read the forum. Maybe we need a phone tree or something, one person calls another who calls another? Or at least a phone list. I bet if I got a call, I might be guillted into it.

Just brainstorming.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Abe Froman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:46 am

use club money to bring local strippers to the workday to "help". not that's incentive :D
Abe Froman

Postby gocards300 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:24 pm

projectpuffindiscman wrote:use club money to bring local strippers to the workday to "help". not that's incentive :D

Sign me up for that day. You would have so many people out there cleaning, you would be able to eat off those holes. :lol: :lol:
gocards300

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:52 pm

gocards300 wrote:
projectpuffindiscman wrote:use club money to bring local strippers to the workday to "help". not that's incentive :D

Sign me up for that day. You would have so many people out there cleaning, you would be able to eat off those holes. :lol: :lol:

so to speak...
Cydisc

Postby sorearm » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:53 pm

you would be able to eat off those holes.

Man, If there was ever a post to hit out of the park....
________
starcraft II replays
Last edited by sorearm on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorearm

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:16 pm

irban wrote:Anybody think of some creative ways to prod people into it? Is the best time after work or the weekend?

I bet if I got a call, I might be guillted into it.

Ding Ding Ding!!!!! We have a winner!

Really, it is that simple. That's what made Becky effective, she wasn't afraid to ask/guilt people into doing work. The definition of an effective manager is "getting others to do, what needs done, when it needs done".

I'm not going to point fingers, I'm as guilty as the rest. I can get people there. and I think all I really need to do is make some phone calls a day or two ahead. Posting here is only semi effective.

The incentive is having great looking courses. That's really all the reward I'm willing to offer, and all I think any of us need. Maybe some beer for Irban :D

Like I said earlier, a coordinated, organized effort will have our courses looking nice for this summer. The soonest we can get started is probably late February. After work is probably the best time, once daylight allows.

We will get there. We all want it. With Joe and Cory stepping up big time, I think it will be alot easier to get help out to the courses.
Like_Water

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:31 pm

The phone calls need to come a minimum of 1 week in advance. Then the day or two before to remind or get confirmations. Not everybody lives in a dude shack.
GDL17921

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:45 pm

gocards300 wrote:........... eat off those holes. :lol: :lol:

:shock: :shock: WOW!!! :shock: :shock:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:21 pm

GDL2000 wrote:The phone calls need to come a minimum of 1 week in advance. Then the day or two before to remind or get confirmations. Not everybody lives in a dude shack.

Why don't you just give me the boss's number.
Like_Water

Postby irban » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:55 pm

Discwrangler wrote:
GDL2000 wrote:The phone calls need to come a minimum of 1 week in advance. Then the day or two before to remind or get confirmations. Not everybody lives in a dude shack.

I tell you, it works best when my wife hears it on the answering machine. Then she asks me if I'm going, rather than me asking her if I can go. Plus she knows about it in advance, rather than me waking up in the morning and telling her on my way out the door.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:59 pm

(re: Brian's answering machine topic)

Wow, at least I'm not the only one... ha!

I'll see if I can flex out some time to help... What's the date & time?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Like_Water » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:00 pm

irban wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:

I tell you, it works best when my wife hears it on the answering machine. Then she asks me if I'm going, rather than me asking her if I can go. Plus she knows about it in advance, rather than me waking up in the morning and telling her on my way out the door.

That's good to know.
Like_Water

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club