New Waukee Course Proposed

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby sorearm » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:56 pm

Same old thing here....but no DG area...
http://www.ci.pleasant-hill.ia.us/sports_complex.html
________
buy digital scale
Last edited by sorearm on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorearm

Postby Cydisc » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:13 pm

And no cricket pitch.
Cydisc

Postby sorearm » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:48 pm

Which just proves the East side gets no love :lol:
________
starcraft II replays
Last edited by sorearm on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorearm

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:16 pm

How many more soccer complexes do they need? I understand the conveniance for tournaments, but I would hope they are not going to host more than one tournament in Des Moines at one time. I understand the scheduling practices becomes difficult (everything seems to fill up), but that's when you set up the orange cones in an empty feild and make due. We had baseball practices in empty fields multiple times. If you can do it for baseball, you can do it for soccer. I have never been a fan of soccer, which only elevates my dislike for the waste of land that they take up. But that isn't the only ridiculous aspect of the sport. My sister played through out her younger years. At the age of 12 she was playing on a club team where the coach was payed salary. That was the only job he had. My sister meaning my parents had to pay a monthy fee just to be on the team :shock: Soccer's a rip off if you want to play at that leve.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Cydisc » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:52 pm

I'm going to take the other side on the soccer argument and point out that the ball diamonds alone take up more space while seving fewer players, plus costing more for fencing, bleachers and grounds maintenance.
Cydisc

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:42 pm

cydisc11895 wrote: Sounds like they're trying to add a separate parcel for the course, which is good. However, they'll have a lot of work turning a flat corn field into an interesting course.

U never know, Steve. If someone got creative & made a "orrowed pond"to brrow dirt & make some elevation change n it - it'd be a start @ least. Then wait for the trees to develop - there's another big problem.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:44 pm

cydisc11895 wrote:I'm going to take the other side on the soccer argument and point out that the ball diamonds alone take up more space while seving fewer players, plus costing more for fencing, bleachers and grounds maintenance.

At the same time you are taking my side of the fence. For soccer you don't really need any ammentities to perform the sport correctly. Just a couple of soccer goals, which could be easily applied in any open feild. Hence, no need for a complex per say. Not to say that you couldn't play baseball in any open feild, however a typical feild requires fence, dugouts of some sort, basepaths, bases, pitchers mound, to name a few. And I wouldn't be so certain about serving fewer players. Yes there is only 9 players on the field to soccers 11. However the average bench for baseball sometimes seats up to 15-20 people.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Cydisc » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:26 pm

How did this turn into a soccer debate? Oh well, I'll perpetuate it some more...
Buzzznation wrote:At the same time you are taking my side of the fence. For soccer you don't really need any ammentities to perform the sport correctly. Just a couple of soccer goals, which could be easily applied in any open feild.

Then what do you do when you have tournaments and league games? Imagine the logistical nightmare involved trying to coordinate getting teams and officials to the correct locations spread out all over town.

And I wouldn't be so certain about serving fewer players. Yes there is only 9 players on the field to soccers 11. However the average bench for baseball sometimes seats up to 15-20 people.

Soccer uses reserve players, too.

I'm not sure why the backlash against sports complexes and soccer's place in them. When you take into consideration the number of players served, the time spent using them and the cost of upkeep, if anything, soccer deserves a place before diamond sports.
Cydisc

Postby puppetmaster » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:33 pm

My understanding of this is the city's can make money off of baseball and soccer, baseball by renting the fields to clubs and the concesion stand. Soccer, by renting out the fields. You also have to look at that now when city are being developed, the developer must give land to the city or money, most will give land. By giving land, most of it has been worked (dozzer) so they can build homes. This means that most if not all the grown trees are gone and it does not take much to put in a soccer field.
Another point is citys want to attttract people to their towns which means soccer moms and baseball familys (the american sport and since people are living the american dream, they want there kids to play.

Now on the other hand, DISC GOLF............ No money coming in to the city and it does not attract people. So they will put it in if a park is not being used and if they can afford it or maybe if they want to afford it.

Not saying I agree with the citys at all, just giving my understanding. So dont stone me the next time you see me. I hate baseball and soccer
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby Cydisc » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Thanks for getting us back on topic.

Yes, it does boil down to money. For every reason mtl cites, that's why we have huge sports complexes serving diamond sports and soccer, because there's money to support them. Disc golf, on the other hand, doesn't even register a blip on a city's economic radar.

I'm a promoter of disc golf, but I also know the realities. Honestly, Waukee is being very far-sighted and benevolent even including disc golf in their plans. Most cities won't even sniff at it.
Cydisc

Postby puppetmaster » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:04 pm

50% depends on the P&R director, that why its a good thing to get to know them and to also pick up trash, directors talk to directors. The other 50% is the city goverment, and that you flip a coin on
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:06 pm

mtldetect1 wrote: You also have to look at that now when city are being developed, the developer must give land to the city or money, most will give land. By giving land, most of it has been worked (dozzer) so they can build homes. This means that most if not all the grown trees are gone and it does not take much to put in a soccer field.

Funny, weren't we just talking about that Friday in Nancy's ofice? :lol:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Buzzznation » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:04 am

I agree with what everyone is saying. I understand the demand and revenue that the sport complexes provide. I still don't agree with them, and I like to share my frusterations. If it is necessary to have the complex, I do like the idea of trying to incorporate a DG course with it. However, like all of the above mentioned, chances of it going in, and if so, chances of being that exciting of a course are slim. With that being said. Even if the course is installed on completely flat ground, with scattered trees that may be of substantial size by the time my grandkids come around, it is good advertisement for the sport. In attending many athletic events, you see many siblings playing in dirt, running around aimlessly, or bothering other people. What better than to have them rent a disc at the concession stand, and wear them out on the DG course.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:13 am

Buzzznation wrote: What better than to have them rent a disc at the concession stand, and wear them out on the DG course.

Renting discs? :-P
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Single L » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:14 am

Buzzznation wrote:What better than to have them rent a disc at the concession stand, and wear them out on the DG course.

or on the Cricket Pitch :lol: :lol:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club