New Waukee Course Proposed

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:04 pm

cydisc11895 wrote: Think Skull and Bones.

W00t!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby O_D » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:22 pm

Just spoke to the project manager. The city is trying to get the 40 acre parcel where the legend is located. This would be the morjority of the course location. However, he said this will be a minimum five years out before they look at this area, and more realistically 10 years out.

Surprisingly, he said he had a copy of the PDGAs Disc Golf Course Design Goals.
Calmer than you are.
O_D

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:33 pm

cydisc11895 wrote: But, like it's been said, exposure is what we need. That's something we're currently discussing within the group; how to get more exposure for the professional designers and how to make it easier for prospective clients to find us.

how about a website?
GDL17921

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:55 pm

definitely need to get a site going... Find other designer groups & network with them, and begin the knowledge sharing process.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby KePP » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:19 pm

On a side note... can't anyone can call themself a course designer? How do you determine if someones good at it? Play their resume of courses? Do you take into account the restrictions imposed by the park/land owners? Do you have to play it in a full tournament to judge the flow? Is every sentence a question?
KePP

Postby Single L » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:20 pm

cydisc11895 wrote:Hell, there's no fewer than two members of the Disc Golf Course Designers group right here in Central Iowa. But, like it's been said, exposure is what we need. That's something we're currently discussing within the group; how to get more exposure for the professional designers and how to make it easier for prospective clients to find us.

Speaking of web sites or contacts…………is there a site or list of the members for the DGCD Group?? Is this truly Skull and Bones or is it more like don't ask don't tell ??
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby ghstinshll » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Ifit's don't ask don't tell - I think Corey wants in... :twisted:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:45 pm

KePP wrote:On a side note... can't anyone can call themself a course designer? How do you determine if someones good at it? Play their resume of courses? Do you take into account the restrictions imposed by the park/land owners? Do you have to play it in a full tournament to judge the flow? Is every sentence a question?

I know you're just trying to get me started, aren't ya? :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Cydisc » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:45 pm

GDL2000 wrote:
cydisc11895 wrote: But, like it's been said, exposure is what we need. That's something we're currently discussing within the group; how to get more exposure for the professional designers and how to make it easier for prospective clients to find us.

how about a website?

It's currently in the works.
Cydisc

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:07 am

I just browsed the park proposal for the first time. As a whole, I am excited. You can never have too many parks in my opionion. The design is quite accomodating for many different sports. I myself am an avid sports promoter. If it's competition of any sort I'll play it, except for soccer. I don't have any kids, nor do I know many people personally that have kids in the 6-14 year old range, which would be the main targeted area I would guess of attendees at the proposed park by RDG, so I may be way out of line here. I think these sports complexes are getting out of hand. In the last 15-20 years complexes that come to mind are Campbell - Clive; The one in Grimes; There's like 10 in Ankeny; Raccoon River Park - West Des Moines. Those are just the ones off of the top of my head. That's not to mention some of the open feilds that I see people practicing soccer on, like by WDM City Hall, the complex by Beaver, etc...As a kid I could have cared less, and would prefer that this complex get installed. Now I know that I am just a disc golfer that wants another disc golf course, but even from a regular citizen looking in, what happened to the regular park :?: The west side doesn't have a Grandview, or a Union Park, or anything of that nature. These new sport Complex's have to cost an astronomical amount of money. I know that this project is phased, but a lot of money none the less. I would rather see the money go towards something that is more necessary. Like renovating our current parks. Kolby park is one that comes to mind. I used to practice baseball there all the time. Nice park layout, but the place was a dump. I just don't see the demand for all of these feilds being there. Heck when I drive by the Grimes Complex which isn't often, I hardly ever see any one there. I would assume one reason to install these complexes is to get our kids more active and involved in sports. Again not kowing much of this generation of kids, but I personally feel that a complex wouldn't make much of a difference. As a kid we played home run derby in tennis courts, made bike ramps out of mulch piles at the apartments down the street, chipped golf balls around the yard to trees, shot baskets in the drive way, threw a tennis ball against the wall in my basement. I didn't need a complex, and we did all of this with a park across the street. Maybe I have no idea what I am talking about. I am just really getting tired of these sports complexes. To end on a high note, I would rather see this complex than another town home developement
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Single L » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:42 am

Buzzznation wrote:To end on a high note, I would rather see this complex than another town home developement

No doubt
.... on a side note Campbell Rec had a 9 holer in the original design, but got nixed somewhere along the line. I suppose it was due to a poor proposal and design by an engineering company not the DG community.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:47 am

porkchop wrote:
Buzzznation wrote:.... on a side note Campbell Rec had a 9 holer in the original design,

Not to mention disc golf courses in complexes can be more trouble than it's worth IMO. ie Waukee, Madrid - Can't play half the course when crowded. The worst was in Indianopolis (West Park I beileve). Had to wait 10-15 minutes to tee off everytime waiting for pedestrians. Even GRandview hosts many obstacles in the summer time.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:40 am

In Norwalk there's the McInnich sports complex... it's 4 baseball fields, and about 6+ soccer fields... I g othrow for practice out there, but did witness that during soccer season, the entire complex is full. Is it necessary to go AS big as some places do? Maybe, but it's only to accomodate a 6 week portion twice a year. When it's soccer season, it;s full though.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:04 am

It all goes hand in hand with the pussification of our generation's kids, IMO. Who remembers playing sports (baseball, soccer, football) before the age of 7? I sure as hell don't. And when I did start playing, we kept score. This "everybody's a winner" theme in kids sports is about as ghey as those Mac/PC commercials.

The only exception I can think of was hockey up in MN. They start those kids real young. But they're the best damn hockey players at that age in the country by the time they reach high school.
GDL17921

Postby Cydisc » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:55 am

FWIW, sports complexes make sense when you consider they concentrate park maintenance in one location, make it more convenient for hosting of tournaments (soccer, baseball, etc...) and generally make it convenient for parents who have multiple kids playing multiple sports. They have their place.

Waukee's growth is staggering. I remember graduating school 15 years ago and seeing a park opening in Waukee. I remember thinking "what a dink town". Now it might as well be called West West Des Moines. They're trying to play catch-up with their facilities because the population has exploded.

That said, I hate when they try to mix DG with sports fields. Sounds like they're trying to add a separate parcel for the course, which is good. However, they'll have a lot of work turning a flat corn field into an interesting course.
Cydisc

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club