Greenwood: The Final Nail

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby KePP » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:04 pm

:arrow:
Last edited by KePP on Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KePP

Postby actifed » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:00 pm

Please keep in mind this is speculation at best but...
It sounds like there are plenty of of 9 hole courses scheduled for this area in the near future. Latch has like a million irons in the fire with his "course developer" niche. That's great. What I think the Des Moines club will focus on is championship caliber disc golf courses. That means not only a new course in this area in the future, but also maintaining and improving the beautiful courses we have. In the near future we will have to overhaul Grandview, and possibly redesign Ewing (as mentioned earlier). That has to take priority over new development in my opinion.
Where we end up putting in any new course depends on opportunity. We have the luxury at the current time of having several parks wanting us, instead of the other way around. Places like Union, where clearly we aren't wanted, probably won't be high on our list. It would be nice to have an 18 hole course on the West side, but for some reason the parks are scarce over here.
actifed

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:07 pm

actifed wrote:It would be nice to have an 18 hole course on the West side, but for some reason the parks are scarce over here.

Probably Jordan Creek Mall, West Glenn, And Regency to name a few.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:33 pm

I'm sur ew/ Southwoods it was easy to label that as a park, or green zone or whatnot - it's not the best for homes... The rest is open & flat!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Like_Water » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:38 pm

I think Jay hit the nail on the head, with a great reply by Tim.

We need to maintain our courses before we should be ALLOWED to create another one. I think the redesign at Ewing and Grandview should take precedence. Both these courses will benefit greatly from a redesign.

Other than getting the ok for Margo, we shouldn't be in a huge rush to spend more money on another course. IMO, the city's should be paying for them at this point.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby GaW27166 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:25 pm

[quote="Discwrangler"]I think Jay hit the nail on the head, with a great reply by Tim.

We need to maintain our courses before we should be ALLOWED to create another one. I think the redesign at Ewing and Grandview should take precedence. Both these courses will benefit greatly from a redesign. quote]

Second!
GaW27166

Postby irban » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:19 pm

In the mean time there are 18 baskets just sitting in storage that is paid for by the club.

Westward Ho is what I say. Get em in the ground, have the city or whoever pay for the teepads and be done with it.

I know the grandview redesign is necessary, but I hardly think it's going to take much to adapt Ewing to the road widening. If you're talking about re-designing the whole thing, I think that is wasted effort. Plus, you better do it right (see prior thread regarding the last re-design.)

Course maintenance and costs of redesign should be paid for by the city too, particularly at Grandview. What we really need in all of these cases is more workers, myself included.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:51 pm

hey Gaw, ur missing the "[" & the "/" before the end quote in your post. :wink:
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby GaW27166 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:04 pm

ghstinshll wrote:hey Gaw, ur missing the "[" & the "/" before the end quote in your post. :wink:

:lol: yeah accidently deleted it!
GaW27166

Postby Like_Water » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:17 am

irban wrote:In the mean time there are 18 baskets just sitting in storage that is paid for by the club.

Westward Ho is what I say. Get em in the ground, have the city or whoever pay for the teepads and be done with it.

That's the problem, it's not done at that point. We still need to keep them up. Right now it appears we have more courses than people willing to maintain them.

irban wrote:I know the grandview redesign is necessary, but I hardly think it's going to take much to adapt Ewing to the road widening. If you're talking about re-designing the whole thing, I think that is wasted effort. Plus, you better do it right (see prior thread regarding the last re-design.)

Grandview may not need to be redesigned for another 10 years. BUT, it could benefit from one. Holes 2-6 could go, alleviating the dreaded throw right at the little league team that's practicing on 6. We should take this course into the woods and make it a championship course that will keep harmony with other park goers.

Ewing's front nine is a being held hostage by hole 3, which is going to be affected by the new road. I've always thought the front has some weird flow issue, that could be resolved, if hole 3 wasn't so sweet. No wasted effort here. I think it could be better, with or without a road coming through. and of course, doing it right has always been an issue here.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby irban » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:39 am

Redesigning is not maintaining. To me, maintaining is keeping the brush down, keeping the signs up, keeping the litter picked up and keeping the pads clear.

Everyone has an opinion on how a course should be, etc. Who is right? I think there is a lot of potential for wasted effort if we start to second guess every hole on every course.

I thought we were changing Grandview in response to the ball golf course changes, not remaking the whole thing. I don't see a problem with going into the woods, etc. but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

My biggest fear is that we end up like Kaposia. I know they needed to address some erosion issues or whatever, but the back nine of that course went from being a unique, interesting challenge to a series of the same shot, back and forth through the woods.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby z-man » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:53 am

I'll just echo Tanner's comments...I think the majority of our effort should be placed in the upkeep of our current courses...I know I'm guilty of not helping as much as I should have in the past...but I've made it a new year's resolution to help out as often as I can this year...We will have some work to do depending on when these aforementioned projects start taking place near Ewing and Grandview...

As for new courses...Perhaps everyone should go out and scout a piece of land they feel might make a nice course and make some sort of presentation to the club at one of the monthly meetings...it takes more than someone saying I want a course to make it happen...I also feel it isn't something that should be rushed into just because we have 18 baskets in storage...know what I'm sayin...Now that Greenwood has been laid to rest we can put our energy back into finding another plot of land that would work with the ideas the club is after...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:29 am

Word.
GDL17921

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 pm

I think it'd be refreshing to see something creative liek that done w/ Grand view. The course is good, but if there's a way to change it up a little bit then good.

I'm looking forward to some refreshing changes to the courses this year.

Can't wait to see things "take shape"
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby shane » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:11 pm

I see and hear all this talk about what we should do with this course or what we should do with that course. The reality is theres no sense in redoing a course if it doesnt need it. I don't want to start picking at every hole on every course. We have THE BEST SET OF COURSES IN THE WORLD why mess that up. We don't have the manpower or the money to just start redoing holes everywhere if we don't need. It's the same few people out doing the work time after time busting their asses. It was this way before I was around and it's that way now. Those people are already burnt out. Lets not burn these guys out.
Whats funny is whenever it comes time to design everyone has an opinion and everyone is willing to work for a new hole but few are willing to work for upkeep. It gets old year in and year out.
Early this year were going to need help out at GV doing some work on pads and teesigns. I'm anxious to get some stuff done out there and look forward to seeing you all there. lol :P
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club