Greenwood: The Final Nail

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:05 pm

irban wrote:Nine hole courses suck!

I respectfully disagree. They are great for bringing the sport to a populace that would otherwise not play.

The sport is growing plenty on it's own. I think it would be easier to get people to work for another sweet 18 holer.

Most of our 18-hole courses are located where people have to travel several miles from their homes to play. We're fortunate that we can do that but it's not possible for everyone. It's a lot easier to get a decent 9 holes into a neighborhood park than 18. It's also a lot easier to get a city park staff to install 9 holes rather than 18.
Cydisc

Postby irban » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:46 pm

If you want local parks to have 9 holers, lobby the parks and rec to put them in, and pay for them themselves. No reason every disc golf course needs to be donated. Plus they're cheap.

I disagree that we have too many sweet 18 hole courses. I think there is room for one more on the west or southwest side. To me, that would be a better use for club resources, than 2 more Crivaro's.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:51 pm

Steve, is there room @ Ewing?

I suggested those parks for geographic dispersement, but if one would fit @ EW, that'd be TIGHT. Maybe it would be worth requesting that talks be re-opened w/ the Moffitt location?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:56 pm

I agree Brian. The club could suggest, and offer design insight, as Latch has done in the past for their (P&R) projects. But, like Crivaro, these types of projects (niners)should be on the P&R's dollar. If they want it bad enough, they'll budget in the 5-8K to do it.

It all depends on the direction of the club really. Is our motive/mission to build rec friendly courses in order to "grow the sport", or is it to continue building the Midwest's best courses for future disc golf events? In my eyes, these are two completely different paths. One's not any better than the other, but it should be clear as which one we're walking.
GDL17921

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: Ewing......Probably should wait and see how much "damage" is done to the current course with the construction of the 4 lane road going in on Indianola Road between SE 14th and Army Post Road. Looks like there may have to be some modification/redesign to the current course. The current holes that might be affected are 17, 18, 1, 2, 3, and the practice area.

There's a stake in the middle (like 50-75 feet from the parking area) of the practice area, so it remains to be seen how far into the course on the west side of the Indianola Road will be affected.
GDL17921

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:06 pm

Well, the club can certainly go in whatever direction it wants. I'm not a member, so I have no say. Just throwing an idea out there.
Cydisc

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:08 pm

I hear ya. Not sayin' it's a bad idea either.
GDL17921

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:13 pm

I do think it's worth looking at geographic areas that are underserved. Wasn't there supposed to be a regional-scale park going into Urbandale?
Cydisc

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:17 pm

GDL2000 wrote: One's not any better than the other.

Maybe in the eyes of some. I personally would rather have one sweet 18 holer than 5 nice 9 holers. I look at Grandview. I know of many west sider rec players that go out of there way to play there, because they like the moderate difficulty of the course and it's not too far out of the way, and you don't have to worry about the authorities. I was the same way when I started playing, sure I went to Southwoods that was about a 10 minute drive from my house to try it out, after that it was GVCC. In the grand scheme of things Des Moines isn't a large enough city to consider location of a course to be a big consideration IMO. Everything is about 10-20 minutes away no matter what side of town your on. When I lived in West Des Moines, it took about the same amount of time to get to GVCC (mostly I-235 travel) as it did to get to Southwoods (mostly in town traffic and more stop lights).

Nine hole courses may be good for newcomers, but they have their negatives as well. Southwoods is a prime example. The course is constantly littered from local high schoolers (who are more into getting a buzz than expanding their disc golf game), which gives the Disc Golf Community a bad reputation, and may detour the P&R from granting our disc golf needs.

I agree that the west/ south west side of town is in higher need of a higher caliber course, but from what I am hearing the west side P&R is difficult to work with.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:24 pm

Cydisc

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:39 pm

Unfortunately...I think Moffit is kind of dead in the water too. I can't remember the reason they gave Nixt during the '04 Worlds, but I remember it being kind of a final stamp on things.

The west side could use a course. I kind of get tired of playing Southwoods all the time :D

I have talked with the DNR a bit about possibly getting one into a Park here, but the ranger was kind of a prick about it. The WDM P&R have stated that they would love to help get another 18 hole course in, in WDM, but the land is very scarce.
SpikeHyzer

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:50 pm

cydisc11895 wrote:Perhaps the answer is 42:

http://www.urbandale.org/warehouse/maps ... 200611.pdf

That is a very prime piece of Disc Golf land. I'd be all for that.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:03 pm

re: kid stoners & trash - I think that has more to do w/ the proximity to the school, nothing more. However I do think that w/ the # fo courses that DSM has, furthering the skills of players shoudl be the goal w/ course development in DSM. For growing the sport, how about other initiatives liek youth leagues, etc to grow the sport.

That site would be sweet in Urbandale. There's definitely some disparity in courses on the West side, and that location would be pretty darn good!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:31 pm

One thing I think that we all agree on--we all would love a new course in the area. However, in the immediate future, something we should really focus our efforts on this spring is maintenance of the current champ courses we have, so that we can showcase them, and leave a lasting impression on those that come for the '08 Challenge in May. I'm talking about getting Walnut, Big Creek, Pickard, and Ewing looking as pristine as Lover's Lane looks in Bowling Green in April. There's lots of reasons attendance has been down the past few years, one being that the courses look like not much has been done since Worlds prep in 2004. Let's change that perception this spring.

Beeman will appreciate any and all help, and it will give us all a great opportunity to talk about some of these great ideas about future new courses with him.

Anybody know anything about Badger Creek State Park or Yellow Banks Park?
GDL17921

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:41 pm

I've fished @ Badger Creek pelnty of times... It's mostly open, has plenty of length, elevation, and water. It's not as large as West Lake, but is that kind of land. Not as nice of a park, and is somewhat remote, but I bet that will change as WDM keeps encroaching SW towards it.
##39027
ghstinshll

PreviousNext

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club