Greenwood: The Final Nail

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Greenwood: The Final Nail

Postby actifed » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:43 pm

Regarding Greenwood park, the ADHD summary is, Greenwood is never going to happen. Officially as of January 1.

First and most importantly the original plan is dead, this coming from DM parks and Rec. Jon Latch's original 18 hole design was rejected sometime last year. His revised 9 hole design has just been rejected by some kind of DMPR approved committee. Any kind of course going through the woods has been totally rejected. And for those that weren't aware we had already been told that tee pads and signs were prohibited. This kills any realistic hope of a course ever happening at Greenwood. Jon Latch is working on putting a few baskets in, but it will be on a very limited basis, if at all. Which leads to my second point.

In the November and December meetings of the club, we voted to re-appropriate the funds for Greenwood. (Effective as of Jan. 1) This means the club will not be contributing financially to any project in Greenwood park. Period. The club is not legally or ethically obligated to put money towards the Greenwood course. Frankly it doesn't seem likely the opportunity will ever present itself anyway. What good does it do for a non profit foundation like ours to sit on a pile of money for years and year?

So does this mean that we're now going to buy a gold plated golf cart for Joe to drive around while running league? Absolutely not. Everyone who contributed to Greenwood, whether through direct donations or by participating in our fundraising events deserves something in return. And since they were expecting a disc golf course, that is what they will get.

The club is working on finding a suitable location for a new course, with the help of DM parks and rec. It is our sincere hope that we can find a new course opportunity as quickly as possible. Once we have tacit written approval to put in a new course, we will let everyone know what they can do to help.

Finally, let me say how much I appreciate the support all of you gave this effort. I've been involved with this project both directly and indirectly for 2 and 1/2 years. There are others that have been involved for much longer. I can't thank you all enough. Please don't be discouraged, this isn't the first time we've faced rejection and it certainly won't be the last. If you want to discuss where we should focus our attention in the future, please let us know, preferably Mike Beeman (our course director).

Greenwood is on the agenda for our next meeting in January and will be replaced by a "new course" item in February.
actifed

Postby Like_Water » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Seems like a good time to get back into Margo.
If it kills, I got news, it ain't a side effect
Like_Water

Postby puppetmaster » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:31 pm

I'm sure you guy's have asked, but how about Fort Des Moines Park. Now since the monkeys are not comming, be nice to use it for something. we've metal detected every inch so it might as well get a new use now.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:29 am

Discwrangler wrote:Seems like a good time to get back into Margo.

I have been talking with a few Saydel city officials already on this over the past year or so. There seems to be some interest. I think this is a viable option. It's been probably 6 months since I've talked to them. Perhaps I need to give them a hollar again.
SpikeHyzer

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:31 am

Tim, are we keeping all 18 baskets that are in storage?
SpikeHyzer

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:20 am

The tops of those are at Ewing now.

Union Park!
GDL17921

Postby actifed » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:22 am

SpikeHyzer wrote:Tim, are we keeping all 18 baskets that are in storage?

Yes, they are the baskets that used to be at Ewing. The ones with the "Latch Patch".
actifed

Postby Single L » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:57 am

GDL2000 wrote:Union Park!

:roll: :roll: Of course you like this park, it's less than mile drive and you only you don't even have to change roads :roll: :roll:
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby SpikeHyzer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:00 am

Union Park would be a good alternative.
SpikeHyzer

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:01 am

I knew somebody that actually knows something would have my back. :P
GDL17921

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:49 am

Has anyone ever been to Moffitt Lake? It's in Warren County but part of the WDM park system I believe... Currently its focus seems to be on preservation & sitting as a prairie, couple of shelters & plenty of fishing, but the land would be great to see used for DG.

Otherwise, is there anything in Dallas county West of Jordan Creek that could be used & serve the West side fo the metro? There's Badger Creek as well. It's kinda remote though.

Just suggestions here... Let me know if any sound intelligent enough to act on...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Cydisc » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:21 am

Another option is instead of one 18-hole course, introduce two separate 9-holers in worthy spots as neighborhood draws. If the goal is to grow the sport, I think it would be worth serving and growing the rec base.

It might be a good idea to prepare a study of the metro to determine suitable sites, narrow them down to 3-4 and then approach the governing bodies to see what they can do for a matching effort.
Cydisc

Postby sorearm » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:21 am

There is suppose to be some new rec area going in by Pleasant Hill too. I think it was once Pickle farm Beach?
________
Toyota Team Europe specifications
Last edited by sorearm on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorearm

Postby irban » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:46 am

Moffitt has awesome potential, but Nixt tried working with them for years and finally gave up. The Challenge was held there on a temp course for several years. That was on the west side, the east is better.

Nine hole courses suck! The sport is growing plenty on it's own. I think it would be easier to get people to work for another sweet 18 holer.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Postby Buzzznation » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:57 am

Is another course at Ewing out of the question?
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Next

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club