Nice Course

Postby dfee » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Those pictures look awesome! I can't wait to get back there and play this course. I miss Iowa courses.. :( I rarely get to throw drivers in Central Illinois. It gets boring.
Professional Plastic Stacker and Amateur Disc Golfer
AM4LIFE
dfee

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:01 pm

dfee wrote: I rarely get to throw drivers in Central Illinois. It gets boring.

You must not be playing naughty very often then. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby dfee » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:50 pm

McNaughton is the course I play most often. From the dirt tees, 4 drivers on the front 9, 8 drivers on the back 9. That's 2/3 of the course. But, it's boring, because when you do throw drivers, most of those holes are par 3.5's. You're only after 3's. One good drive, easy approach, get a 3. There's really only one true par 4, and that's 18. And only 4-5 of the driver holes are deuceable, 1,3,13, and rarely 7,8 or 11 are deuced. (I've never gotten 7 or 11, and I've gotten 8 twice). Only seen 7 2'd a few times, and 11 only twice.

I concur, there's some drives out there, but they're honestly not that much fun. And the other 5 courses combined have about 10 driver shots total.
AM4LIFE
dfee

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:26 pm

Really? 7 or 8 hardly gets deuced? That sounds made up.

play with more players from Iowa and you'll see those long holes deuced more often.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby dfee » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:20 pm

Honestly, I rarely see 7 or 8 get deuced. 8 more often, but 7 is tough if you don't throw sidearm flex shots 380 feet. I've been within 40 feet plenty of times, but I haven't made the putt (I'm no Mike Robinson putting machine.) :)
AM4LIFE
dfee

Postby MDR_3000 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:22 pm

I've always got into putting range with a buzzz on 7. Then I let the putting machine go into autopilot.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby KePP » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:34 pm

MDR_3000 wrote:
kwb20 wrote:the coarse is well worth the drive from dsm.

A good unintentional pun?

I like that.

I also like coarse courses. Except Fayette.
KePP

Postby Buzzznation » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:02 am

dfee wrote:Those pictures look awesome! I can't wait to get back there and play this course. I miss Iowa courses.. :( I rarely get to throw drivers in Central Illinois. It gets boring.

You need to go up to Macomb :D
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby GDL17921 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:13 pm

I agree Fee, I haven't played naughty in a few years, and disc technology has probably made it a bit of a tweener course.
GDL17921

Postby kwb20 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:35 pm

i have played 3-11 about 10 times now and i dont think there isnt too much walking and if u know where to cross the creek is no problem.
________
Subaru Impreza WRX WRP10
Last edited by kwb20 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwb20

Postby Single L » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:42 pm

kwb20 wrote:i have played 3-11 about 10 times now and i dont think there isnt too much walking and if u know where to cross the creek is no problem.

Since you've been there since us, did you happen to stumble upon a disc down in the lower regions of that monster??????
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Buzzznation » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:02 pm

Got my fix this past saturday with some fellow Bushwackers. Sick course period. I don't care if I have to take my shoes off to cross the creek, well worth it. The place does need some heavy trimming, but I'm sure that will happen in due time. I would be more than willing to contribute. Once this place gets cleaned up, it will definately be of championship caliber.
NO!......Welp!?
Buzzznation

Postby z-man » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:17 am

I have to agree...this course is sick...I loved the way it pulled and pushed you in all directions...good mix of length and elevation...I will second the opinion of having a mini tourney/work day up there...I'd be all for making the trip again...

Now if only we had a spray that killed all thorn bushes out there...I also don't mind getting creative in finding ways to cross the creeks...I just hope I didn't develop pneumonia out there last weekend whilst putting from the ice cold stream...twice...
I want to get a vending machine with fun sized candy bars...and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
-Mitch Hedberg
~namaste~
z-man

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:07 pm

Well, after playing McHose Park for the first time, I'll give my review.

Upon driving into the park on a beautiful Sunday morning, it was immediately apparent to me that the park is a gem. It's a very well kept park, and the folks up in Boone take pride in it. It shows, and I definatley like seeing that anywhere I go.

Hole one is a bit of a teaser, a must deuce, probably 150ish feet across a ravine, with a couple trees in the middle that you have to navigate your putter around, or through, if you're real ballsy. Great hole to start on, it can make you feel a little confident before you get to the nitty gritty, or, on the other hand, if you have to go down into hole 1's ravine, you get a little taste of the devastation that could come your way, if you don't start hitting lines. Hole 2, 12, 15, and 16, IMO are very similar holes, with the exception that two of them (2 and 15) play slightly downhill, and 12 and 16 play back up a gently incline. These holes are all similar, at least in my view, probably because I played them all the same. They all are long (400-600ish), and have very low canopies to throw under, which is why I elected to throw rollers on these holes. It worked out well for my game to conserve the energy that would be expended throwing something on a rope 6 feet off the ground, especially after watching nearly everyone on my cards (both rounds) do so with little success. Actually the second round, watching Cole L. three hole 16 with two sweet rollers confirmed my assessment on the best way to play those holes yesterday. The grass wasn't long, so it was working pretty well.

Hole 3 is a motherfucker. More than likely the first time any decent player plays this hole, you won't think too much of it other than it's a neat looking shot over a HUGE gorge. Let me tell you----you do not want to have to negotiate that gorge other than on the railroad tie steps that the Boy Scouts installed. The walk on the steps is a little steep, but it's a neat hike through the woods, and adds a lot of character to that hole, and the course in general. I assure you though, if you don't get to take the whole trail, you're in big trouble, and good luck to you.

Hole 4 is a nice par 4, that is definately birdieable for a lefty especially with a long anny down the hill off the tee. I really liked this hole. Kind of reminds me of hole 21 at Westlake, but the tee shot plays more right to left. Then, at the bottom of the hill, it's back to the right ala 21 at WL. Then the pin on this hole is tucked up about 75 feet into a clearing back up a hill. Absolutely sick hole, but definatley threeable for a huge birdie.

Hole 5 is a 250 footer over a pond, that claimed two of my discs.. Good hole though.

The next several holes reminded me a lot of Wildcat Bluff, holes through the woods, making use of some old logging type roads or something.

Hole 8 is a round definer, with a tee shot across a ravine/creek to the fairway that runs perpendicular to the teepad. If you land successfully on the fairway, you then have about 5-600 to the pin, down a tunnel like hole 15 at Walnut, but dead straight. Good luck, I took my first circle 10 that I can ever remember and lost my best ROC.

Hole 9 is worth mentioning too, it plays literally down a winding creek bed to a small green on the left side of the creek. We did not play the long tee pad yesterday, as there have been some erosion problems with it. Fun hole though. Holes 10 and 11 are short, but very hard to birdie.

Hole 13 is another hole I used the forehand roller off the tee to get to a spot where I could layup for a three. THe green drops off severly directly behind the basket, so be careful on your upshots here. 14 is another should be birdie hole, that sets up for a lefty nicely. I birdied it once yesterday. 15 and 16 I described previously, they are part of the upper part of the course that more or less plays the same, one downhill slightly, the other back up.

17 and 18 are gappers, as I like to call 'em. Hit the gap! Shallow ravies (relatively speaking after hole 3) that if you can hit the line with some authority, you should yield a birdie to finish up feeling good about the round that just kicked you in the nuts.

Playing there yesterday was a blast, as I've been wanting to get up there for quite some time. Playing two rounds there yesterday reminded me (yet again) that I'm in pretty poor physical condition. I think that Clay winning the USDGC bid is definatley a testament to his conditioning as well as his game, as you have to have the complete package to play this course well on a 90 degree day, with that humidity, and those hills.
Bottom line is, I give the course two thumbs up, and it might make it into my top 5 as well, but I haven't decided that quite yet. :wink:

Thanks Steve and all that have put blood, sweat, and tears into this course. It's awesome.
GDL17921

Postby eddiemac » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:30 pm

This course is teetering on my favorite course and my least favorite. Let me just make this point. POTENTIAL does NOT equal GREAT! there is a butt load of potential but it's obviously not finished and there are some simple little things that could be done to make it playable.
1. Arrows on the course pointing to the next tee pad.
2. Spray paint with a stencil the number of the hole on the tee pad if there isn't a sign.
Some obviously more difficult things that need to be done.
3. Finished tee pads.
4. Tee signs.
5. Don't hide the majority of baskets [how many blind holes can you create anyways?]

Just because you can put a hole over water and down an old fire road 600 feet doesn't mean you need to.

Over all the course was challenging and interesting. Playing it a second time with a bucket of bug spray and a clue where I'm going, it will be even more enjoyable.
If there were tee pads and signs on every hole and an arrow or something pointing my way then we have a championship level course. [give or take a couple holes]

All in all it will be a great course. And of course anybody doing this much to develop any course is very appreciated!
"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics...even if you win, you're still retarded."
eddiemac

PreviousNext

Return to Boone - McHose Park