Just don't get it

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:08 am

AO wrote:More courses need to be like west lake and a couple holes at peninsula.

Maybe you should move to Des Moines. :lol:

You have to realize, and I'm sure you do to an extent, that course design doesn't revolve around the top 1% of golfers in the state. (That's a compliment, by the way.)
GDL17921

Postby SoCal19 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:10 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote:Adam, after taking a jog in stead helping with the course I thought we agreed no opinions about Shaver. Some guys went out there and put in some hard work to put a course in, and as far as I can see, it gets a lot of play. That's the main idea recreational value, as far a city is concerned. Now Phil, quit bitching, play more. Chase comes down and always plays good there. It's a great course on a windy day. It's pretty nice when it's wet out because it drains well. In the winter, it is so dense that you don't get the deep snow, like you do at all the other courses around. And yea, 7, 8 are bad but, this is going to sound crazy, when I started playing league out there I walked it backwards and I seen the holes their there. Middle has some unfair holes, too , IMO. You guys might not agree but you play it more and know the lines

Frog, I know the lines and I saw the lines. My problem is when I hit the lines, all the stupid little trees in the "fairways" get in my way. You guys should also value others opinions especially when they come from the top pro in the state, who has played a ton of courses and regularly plays Shaver. AO lived and played in North Carolina who are notorious for having tight courses. He says the course sucks. And I agree with Middle and don't like it. It's just stupid when you're putting in a course that you try to over think things by leaving little trees right in the middle of fairways, that's all.
SoCal19

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:14 am

Opinions are like ass-holes, everybody's got one, no matter who you are.

If you don't like the course, don't play it, you do have that choice. Shaver's been around since before the advent of "fast" discs.

And from what I've seen, some of the holes at the Hornet's nest make Shaver look like a cake walk. :lol: Can't wait to get down there and play it someday.
GDL17921

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:47 pm

I got to play Shaver today for the first time. What a fun course. Granted, I have no arm and I'm usually pretty straight, so I guess this course really fits my game. I only found 7 & 8 to be iffy. I felt I played decent and shot -3. Not the best score for sure, but it was my first time there and I had to spend a fair amount of time looking for the next tee every once in a while. It reminds me of Eureka. I loved that course too.
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:57 am

Whiner wrote:shot -3.

thata actually a pretty good score, very good considering it was yer first time.
and off subject......
how come i must be the only person that hits the hole on #7 almost every time. everybody bitches about no fareway but i love it.
Abe Froman

Postby Joe Cool » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:52 am

I've aced #8 so you'll never convince me there's no line there.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
Joe Cool

Postby WHAT AIN'T » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:33 pm

Well i have no problem with 7 or 8 i look forward to them. I aced 7 with a side arm shot, throw side arm on 8 as well. All you bitches got to buck up and realize that evey course needs to be diffrent, other wise you would get sick of playing the same shit.
What it is. Is what it is!!
WHAT AIN'T

Postby WHAT AIN'T » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:36 pm

Joe Cool wrote:I've aced #8 so you'll never convince me there's no line there.

Mr. COOL when did you ace 8, and what with, who seen it.
wHAT ELSE THATS IT
What it is. Is what it is!!
WHAT AIN'T

Postby Abe Froman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:45 pm

WHAT AIN'T wrote:
Joe Cool wrote:I've aced #8 so you'll never convince me there's no line there.

Mr. COOL when did you ace 8, and what with, who seen it.
wHAT ELSE THATS IT

i think it was a church round last summer sometime. i was the group behind him, so comfirmation is here
Abe Froman

Postby Joe Cool » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:03 am

I think your right Stiers. Some Sunday but it was at least 3 years ago. I didn't even know it was in until we couldn't find it anywhere around the pin.

I aced 10, 8, & 5 in that order at Shaver so with my unquestioned lack of skill and questionable luck that tells me that Shaver is far to easy as it sits today.
Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
Joe Cool

Postby Captain » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:16 pm

I think we can all say that there are things about Shaver, any course really, that we don't like. Here are the simple facts:

Shaver is already in the ground and, IMO, not worth the time to try and change it. There are plenty of other golfers who have played and worked on that course and they like what they have accomplished. Some holes are need work (the Bermuda triangle 7,8,9), but the rest of the course is fairly sound.

Instead of nit-picking the current course, why don't we just keep in mind what you didn't like about Shaver. Then next time we build a new course we can avoid those mistakes.

I would LOVE to pull Shaver out and start over, but I think about the people who built the course and the look on their faces when you told them what you wanted to do.

Mark Ramsey is always suggesting that we rip Sugar Bottom up and start all over. Of course all I say is YFC!!!!!!!!
Captain

Postby AO » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:28 am

Played Shaver yesterday and just reinforced why I play there 3 times a year and live under a mile away. Great land! Shitty course.
AO

Postby geoffreylaw » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:06 pm

AO wrote:Played Shaver yesterday and just reinforced why I play there 3 times a year and live under a mile away. Great land! Shitty course.

Last year was the first time I played Shaver over 3 times in a season. When I play there, I just show up with the expectation that I'm gonna throw 10 over. It helps.

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything."
~Friedrich Nietzsche
geoffreylaw

Postby KVN » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:42 pm

6 down is my best out there and it was tough . I play this course alot and have hit every single little tree on the (unfareways?). I have threatened to cut trees out on that course many times but would only do it with permission. The clean up done recently has helped but there is so much more that can be accomplished with the right people involved. I have dueced every hole on this course so the potential great round is out there but seems very unlikely. Who is going to help this course become more inviting for pros and tournaments :?:
KVN

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:09 pm

KVN wrote:6 down is my best out there and it was tough . I play this course alot and have hit every single little tree on the (unfareways?). I have threatened to cut trees out on that course many times but would only do it with permission. The clean up done recently has helped but there is so much more that can be accomplished with the right people involved. I have dueced every hole on this course so the potential great round is out there but seems very unlikely. Who is going to help this course become more inviting for pros and tournaments :?:

Me
frogawitdafizzle

PreviousNext

Return to Cedar Rapids - Shaver Park