Just don't get it

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:25 am

Not all courses can be poke and pray.

You shouldn't be saying, "All you have to do is get past that one tree and HOPE you don't hit one of the little ones in the middle of fairway past it".

Where's the skill in that?
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:41 am

the only really silly (poke-n-pray) holes at Shaver are 3,7, and 8 (IMgdLO). Most of the others have lines. If it were 18 holes of #7, I'd say the course sucks. It seems to me that you just have to survive those few holes, then try and score on some of the others in order to do well there.
GDL17921

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:57 am

GDL2000 wrote:the only really silly (poke-n-pray) holes at Shaver are 3,7, and 8 (IMgdLO). Most of the others have lines. If it were 18 holes of #7, I'd say the course sucks. It seems to me that you just have to survive those few holes, then try and score on some of the others in order to do well there.

I agree, I just wanted to argue for the sake of arguing.
MDR_3000

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:02 am

yeah, and honestly, I almost didn't include hole 3. I've been throwing a (lefty)sidearm on that hole, and as long as you hit the gap, and get halfwayish up the hill, you should have a good chance at scrambling for a 3. I'm sure people don't deuce that hole too often. I might even replace 3 with hole 9. Even as a lefty, it's a pretty flukey gap to hit. If you hit it, you're golden, if not, it's scramble city.
GDL17921

Postby SoCal19 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:25 pm

Let's see, poke and hope holes...
3,7,8,9(maybe),11,12,13,16,17.

And I don't necessarily mean you just throw it and pray it makes it through, but you can hit your line and still get knocked down by trees right in the middle of the fairway. When you shape a fairway, it should be with the intent of of making a clear path to the basket, so a throw put on the right accurate line will make it there. There shouldn't be little trees left in the middle of the fairway. Whoever designed the course was trying to be way to crafty and they ended up turning what could be a great course, into a bad course. This could easily be fixed by someone with a chainsaw going through and ACTUALLY shaping the fairways properly. The other ridiculous thing about this course is essentially every basket being placed on the edge of a cliff of some sort.
SoCal19

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:34 pm

YFC.
GDL17921

Postby SoCal19 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:13 pm

What part don't you agree with? My assesment of Shaver or my thoughts on what a proper fairway should consist of?
SoCal19

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:47 pm

pretty much all of it.

You seriously have warped your vision of what a good course is by "learning" to play at Eastern Ave = one of the worst courses in the state.

Come talk to me when you've played about 100 courses, then maybe your opinion of Shaver will have some merit. Otherwise, to me, since I saw your round, it's just sour grapes. :lol:
GDL17921

Postby AO » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:26 pm

Great land, shitty course!
AO

Postby Steady 26542 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:29 pm

If the weather is decent, I'll give the course a try tomorrow on my way back home from NW Iowa. With all this talk it really sounds interesting...
Team Iron Lion
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
"Frisbees are a hobby; disc golf is a sport."
Steady 26542

Postby AO » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:39 pm

More courses need to be like west lake and a couple holes at peninsula. 2 300 or so ft shots and you can get a three. disc golf is caught up in whether u can get a 2 or not= pretty ghey. just because you can't "duece it doesn't mean you need a big arm or it is a bad hole.
Last edited by AO on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
AO

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:44 am

Adam, after taking a jog in stead helping with the course I thought we agreed no opinions about Shaver. Some guys went out there and put in some hard work to put a course in, and as far as I can see, it gets a lot of play. That's the main idea recreational value, as far a city is concerned. Now Phil, quit bitching, play more. Chase comes down and always plays good there. It's a great course on a windy day. It's pretty nice when it's wet out because it drains well. In the winter, it is so dense that you don't get the deep snow, like you do at all the other courses around. And yea, 7, 8 are bad but, this is going to sound crazy, when I started playing league out there I walked it backwards and I seen the holes their there. Middle has some unfair holes, too , IMO. You guys might not agree but you play it more and know the lines
frogawitdafizzle

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:46 am

GDL2000 wrote:pretty much all of it.

You seriously have warped your vision of what a good course is by "learning" to play at Eastern Ave = one of the worst courses in the state.

Come talk to me when you've played about 100 courses, then maybe your opinion of Shaver will have some merit. Otherwise, to me, since I saw your round, it's just sour grapes. :lol:
Didn't he paly bad at Jones too, what's the problem there too open.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:26 am

Yes walking it backwards, or standing at a weird angle on the fairway there are routes. But the little trees blocking the route to those fairways are the problem.
MDR_3000

Postby AO » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:37 am

frogawitdafizzle wrote:Adam, after taking a jog in stead helping with the course I thought we agreed no opinions about Shaver. Some guys went out there and put in some hard work to put a course in, and as far as I can see, it gets a lot of play. That's the main idea recreational value, as far a city is concerned. Now Phil, quit bitching, play more. Chase comes down and always plays good there. It's a great course on a windy day. It's pretty nice when it's wet out because it drains well. In the winter, it is so dense that you don't get the deep snow, like you do at all the other courses around. And yea, 7, 8 are bad but, this is going to sound crazy, when I started playing league out there I walked it backwards and I seen the holes their there. Middle has some unfair holes, too , IMO. You guys might not agree but you play it more and know the lines

lol. I had my priorities mixed. either way there was not going to be a drastic change in the course layout.
AO

PreviousNext

Return to Cedar Rapids - Shaver Park