Video Walkthrough

Video Walkthrough

Postby KePP » Fri May 11, 2007 1:57 pm

I've played around a little bit with doing a video walkthrough for West Lake. If successful I would probably do it for the remaining QC courses as well. I envision a quick "fly through" of each hole, as well as the trails in between holes and the beautiful views of the lake.

I'm looking for any additional ideas before I dive too far into this. Like should I end the each hole with a putt that goes in the chains? Crash the camera into the chains? Include a section that shows the brutality of the schule? Talk Eng into narrating the video? Show actual throws on the hole? Include a camera shot that starts at 'level' and then pans to the basket so you can tell how much uphill/downhill it is?

I'm not an expert with video production and I'm not very creative, but I have the capabilities and desire to do it. ANY and ALL ideas and tips are welcomed and appreciated. After this weekend I'll upload a few clips to help generate feedback. Thanks for any help,
KePP

Postby Sniper26 » Thu May 17, 2007 11:07 pm

Kepp, I am sorry haven't saw this thread b-4 I think it is a grat idea. I just hope some people can throw some ideas you way.
Sniper26

Postby KePP » Thu May 17, 2007 11:18 pm

I have a sample of hole 1 but no place to upload a big useless video. It seems like removing the shake will be harder than it sounded.
KePP

Postby MDR_3000 » Fri May 18, 2007 8:27 am

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/

here's instructions on how to build a steadycam for cheap.
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby IHearChains » Fri May 18, 2007 9:07 am

I think two or three still pictures linked together with a zoom feature would be a good alternative to the video, avoids the camera shake and would be faster download. To see what I mean visit this link and click on courses.

http://www.playdg.com

Maybe somebody here knows how they did that.
IHearChains

Postby KePP » Fri May 18, 2007 9:23 am

Great link, Mike - I'll have to see the example videos when I get home.

That's also a good idea, Chains. I've been planning on submitting the QC courses to playdg. I thought about asking them if they can do extra zooms in their Flash but haven't gotten around to it. I'll go post on their forums, thanks.

I'll try and upload the video that I have to youtube maybe tonight.
KePP

Postby KePP » Tue May 22, 2007 12:31 am

PlayDG's response about adding extra zooms:

Posted: Sun May 20, 2007 12:52 pm

Yes, it's possible to do, but it would be an inconsistency, so we won't.
Have a look at Wyandotte Park in KS. There's a few holes 700+ ft there that work nicely with just one zoom. If there's doglegs in it we just depict it off the side of the screen.
I'm sure your concern is to give a better idea of the layout of the hole. Ours is too. To give a better idea of the hole layouts, we've been thinking about overhead maps similar to the one we prototyped here:
http://www.playdg.com/squipple/xfer/mapprototype.html
This map is of California Trail in Kansas. To operate it, just type the number of the hole you want to zoom to. ie pressing 3 will bring you to hole 3. Pressing 0 will reset you back to the full view. Of course, this would work differently when integrated. It would atuomatically move to the hole you're looking at, and probably have a little menu for navigation.
The problem with doing these is that they're very time consuming. They take probably two fold the time it takes to put up the rest of the course, so we're still trying to find a way to make that go faster. We'd also add little icons to show approximately where the picture you're looking at was taken from, and what hole it is, etc.

-squipple
www.playdg.com
KePP

Postby KePP » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:01 pm

LOOKING FOR FEEBACK!

http://www.qcdiscgolfclub.com/video/wes ... edback.htm

Some things to to consider: video quality, video size, speed (currently 500%), viewing angles, how to end the hole, etc.
KePP

Postby Alex O » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:53 pm

Wow!! Very cool, Wes! Hole 1 seems so easy now. Perhaps include a picture of the tee sign or a detailed map of each hole next to the video, with distances (for the final product).
Remember Lepanto!
Alex O

Postby Orange Guy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:47 am

You guys have no idea the hours Wes has put into this. I dabbled with a few different scenarios, but he has tested so many theories on the proper steps to come up with the best quality, best size and acceptable download time. He's putting together a step-by-step guide so the offers to help from Alex O. and Resch (and myself) all generate similar results.

Now, envision a playlist to the left of the video playback screen with a walk through of each hole, possibly an intro video and perhaps an overall "pro" tips for this course video.

For fun, here's the minuscule amount of work I did.
Orange Guy

Postby ghstinshll » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:04 am

Very cool idea... Maybe write the guys @ DGTV to bring them into the discussion as well?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:12 am

That's AWESOME, you guys!

I have a couple of ideas to share with you when we get together as far as narration and setting up the shots.

How can we get rid of the "Steady Hand" (or whatever it is) logo in the middle of the frame? Do we need to pay for a copy of the software?

Also, I have a program that reduces the size of AVI files using MPG-1 compression. It really cuts 'em down, and actually makes them look sharper.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby Orange Guy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:35 am

Lou Siffer wrote:How can we get rid of the "Steady Hand" (or whatever it is) logo in the middle of the frame? Do we need to pay for a copy of the software?

The software is $66.66. That kills the logo. I'm going to contact the guy about a better deal for multiple copies.

Lou Siffer wrote:Also, I have a program that reduces the size of AVI files using MPG-1 compression. It really cuts 'em down, and actually makes them look sharper.

You'll have to talk to Wes about this. I'm pretty sure the process is to run the raw file through the steadyhand software, then edit, then convert to a FLV file for the flash viewer. Do you think 3-4 MB is too big?
Orange Guy

Postby Lou Siffer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:47 am

If it were $66.60 or $66.06, I'd say go for it. But four 6s is one too many.
"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way."
-Abraham Lincoln
Lou Siffer

Postby batlord » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:16 am

I think it looks amazing guys. Wes, you're a work horse and make the rest of us look bad. I love Alex's suggestion about putting in a map in the corner (maybe with a moving ball indicating location of camera) so you can see where you're at. I don't think it's too fast at all. If anything, I think you could speed it up maybe 600-750% and it would still work.

I want to be there when they string Wes up into a harness to give a real flight view of hole #2.

I also want to be there when they throw the camera into the water twice on hole #5.

The steady hand thing works well once you've seen the raw footage. I get waaaay less motion-sick watching it with the steady hand.
batlord

Next

Return to Davenport - West Lake