West Lake Issues

West Lake Issues

Postby batlord » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:59 pm

Now, I know we can't be out there policing the park at all hours, but I got a note from the conservation board supervisor about some issues has seen on the course. He's not "mad" at this point, but more preventative concern for the near future.

Keep in mind - he DOES know it's not club members nor even disc golfers creating these issues (at least ALL of the issues). He also knows we can't police the park all the time either. But I did ask him to send me issues that arise, so we can at least help out if we see some of these thigns happenign out there. So I'm just passing these things along on behalf of the parks people. I think the park rangers are writing people up when they see them. I mentioned to the parks folks that they'll probably see some golden retrievers out on the banks which will stop a lot (not all) people from going int he water after their discs.

If you DO see people doing these things, please (politely) ask them to stop. I don't want to see this course pulled before it even gets completed. Just remind them that the park has it's rules and the rules REALLY aren't that restrictive. Please abide by them.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Not sure if you can impact it or not --- but there are people stapling fliers for the Dewitt Summerfest Disc Golf tournament in our park on signs that they should not be stapled to. They should not be doing this at all. We have specific rules on this type stuff. They can put it in the campground office for those people that want to pick it up – that’s it. You may or may not know who is promoting the tournament.

Some other issues associated with the course:

- Trash. Players (we assume) are leaving it around the course

- Oak tree beat down, stripped, whatever you want to call it --- abused cause it was in their way (we assume disc golfers again)

- Golfers swimming for their discs. You knock a golf ball in the pond or water hazard --- you don’t get to swim for it. Same rules here. Isn’t safe. We’ll need some good signage on this for the next phase of the course. Hopefully you’ll know how other courses word similar signs.

Please try to help on this in whatever way you can.

Thanks
batlord

Postby KePP » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:01 pm

Additional WL issues: rust, 18's basket, and the path to 20

Noticed today (actually Alex pointed it out at the practice basket) that there's already rust on the chains of these 5-month old baskets!

Also noticed on 18 that the basket is ready to fall off.

Lastly, I forgot to mention this after playing their Labor Day - what's up with the trail from 19 to 20? At first I couldn't find it and felt like an idiot, then I realized someone put a huge pile of branches at each end of the trail, obviously to block it off. I envision a parks person being like "why the hell do they need this trail, there's already a big one right back there (by 19's tee)." Next I envision a group waiting at 19's tee thinking "we just waited for them to find their discs, approach and putt, and now we have to wait for them to walk all the way back down the fairway?"

Captain wrote:I think the discatchers catch better, are more visible in the woods, but don't weather as well as the DGA baskets. Thank God for the yellow bands or we would have had to look a lot harder to find the pins.

If Innova could just make their basketes rust-proof --- I'd buy them for every course.
Last edited by KePP on Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KePP

Postby batlord » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:20 am

Yeah, I know about the rust. Dan mentioned it's not a big deal to call Innova and have them resend new chain sets - and then Alex told me what a pain they are to change out. Maybe if we got a couple of people to do it on a weekedn, we could go in teams and change out the 3-5 baskets that need fixing. I'm not thrilled that those chains are already rusty.

And yeah, I noticed the brush piles on the path. I was hoping the parks people were putting them there so they could be easier to take away, but they've been there a while. If I can get out there this week, I'll try to drag some of them away from the openings and also I need to do some clearing on #2 if I can get the authorization.

Thanks for the heads up, Kepp. Always appreciated.
batlord

Postby KePP » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:55 am

I'm willing to drag those branches out of the way, too. I can do it some evening this week. I just didn't want to piss anybody off.
KePP

Postby IowaCharlie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:02 pm

I can help with the chains if need be. I just lost my job, so I have TONS of free time. Just PM me if you need my help.
IowaCharlie

Postby KePP » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:39 pm

The trail from 19 to 20 is now clear.
KePP

Postby batlord » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:52 pm

Thanks, Kepp. I appreciate it, as do a ton of other golfers. Thanks for your hard work. I'll probably be out there a couple of times this weekend with the concrete guy figuring out a game plan for pouring - it shoudln't be too much longer now... hooray!
batlord

Postby batlord » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:57 pm

I know this is going to seem backwards, but bear with me. The parks people have closed up the path between 19 and 20 again. The park ranger was upset that we had created a path through the woods without authorization and after he closed it up (I wasn't aware that they had done that), got upset when we re-opened it. Bear with me for a short while until I can talk to him about allowing us to use that walkway. We used it for the tournament and it wasn't an issue, so I'm going to try to explain that now that people know it's there, they're likely going to use it.

Please don't go out and do any clearing until further notice. I need to meet with them again in the next week or two, so I'll try to get it hashed out.

Thanks for your understanding in this. Kind of a small thing to be concerned about, but remember it's THEIR park, not ours. We need to play by their rules. For now, you'll need to walk back up the fairway for 19 and back to the tee for 20. Fortunately, that walk is only about 300 feet, so it's doable until we can address the issue.

Thanks all.

Chad
batlord

Postby dx pete » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:00 pm

I can get a bunch of sticks and brush and clog up the other walkways if you want?!?
opulence, I has it.
dx pete

Postby batlord » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:49 pm

Thanks anyway, Pete. Ha Ha. I think we're good until I get more word from the parks guys. I'll keep it in mind though...
batlord

Return to Davenport - West Lake