Ottumwa Fall Classic...

Ottumwa Fall Classic...

Postby iowapat » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:55 pm

anyone have any info on this? All that I know is that the date is October 22nd
iowapat

Postby johnemus » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:54 am

i also know its the same date as the one in Davenport or wherever its at.
johnemus

Postby Mount » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:12 pm

don't even worry about going to it just come to Davenport and have throw some great courses!!!!

The tournament was not really well run last year.
Mount

Postby tbw_10130 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:24 pm

Jeremy,

What specifically about the Ottumwa Fall Classic was so poorly run last year? I think we should be careful about bashing other tourneys just because the QCA has one on the same date.

I've been to the Ottumwa Fall Classic (the one run by Tom Cremer) many times and have always had a good experience (aside, of course, from when I threw my disc into a tree on 17 at Wildwood and lost in the drink...only to throw a thumber into a tree and lose another for a beautiful snowman on the card). :D

I'm sure it has been posted somewhere, but why is it that the Q.C. tourney had to be scheduled on top of the Ottumwa tourney? It's really unfortunate.
tbw_10130

Postby Mount » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:27 am

Well, last year the tournament itself ran really well. It didn't get bad till after the tournament was actually over. They took like 3 or more hours to get everything figured out. And then they didn't even really have an award ceremony. Half the people that did anything good had allready asked for thier stuff before they did and left.
Mount

Postby Mount » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:28 am

oh yeah and crappy pay outs as well.
Mount

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:35 am

Mount wrote:oh yeah and crappy pay outs as well.

really? you won 230 bucks last year, in a field of 14 people who maybe paid 40 bucks to play. how was that crappy?
If she can't swim....she's bound to drizzown.
MDR_3000

Postby Mount » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:15 am

I didn't actually check to see how much I won I thought it was like 180
Mount

Postby Steady 26542 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:24 pm

What I remember about that event was that it started like an hour and a half late. Since I had to get up at 5:00 to get there (and I'm not a morning person :) ) I was disappointed that the tourney was delayed so long. I don't think Tom thought there would be so many people there. Didn't he and his wife do everything? Probably not the best thing. Plus, he played in it as well. That added to the long delays. It finished near dark and took quite a while to get the scores and payouts done. I think there were only 7 Adv Masters, so the payout for us was fair.
Steady 26542

Postby johnemus » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:20 pm

Im thinking about playing in this tournament, well at least 1 of the 2 that day. Im not sure which one Im going to do. Which tourney would be better for a novice guy like me to play in and actually have a good time, not shoot a bad score and possibly get a pretty nice players pack?
johnemus

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:42 pm

well, maybe this thread should get put on the right course---Wildwood.

Jeremy, don't bitch about tournaments that you win. All you do is make yourself look like another whiny pro in the mix. Tom Cremer always runs great tournaments, and did everything he possibly could've done, considering there were about 90 people there--all that signed up that day. Things could've been a lot worse for ya, like maybe you wouldn't have cashed.
GDL17921

Postby Chase20460 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:38 pm

I just finished reading the thread about scheduling on the DSM site. I forgot my password, or I would have posted there.

First off, I am guilty of not checking with Steve first. It happened like this: In late July I send the PDGA a request for a B-Tier Event for September 22nd. I had no reply due to Dave Gentry not being in the office for Worlds and other large tourneys. When contact was finally made, he was under the assumption I was asking for Sept. 22 07. Not 06. I spoke again with Dave Gentry and he asked me to search the calender to find a date. Everything was booked and on the weekend of the 21-22nd ALL THAT WAS ON THE PDGA SCHEDULE WAS BIG CREEK. I did not purposely schedule against another tournament, but wasnt in the position to change the date either. Im sorry to cause Tom the inconveince, as I really didnt know. I am guilty also of not scouring the DSM board to check thier dates. That was my fault, as was not contacting Steve. I handled it through the PDGA and did it very quickly in order to keep everyone here happy.

This was ( after the missed Sept. date ) just to be a slightly bigger than local event. It was the PDGA who suggested we move it to a B-Tier as the numbers were within reach, purse wise. I really dont care for the notion Id try to submarine another event, especially in Iowa, where I not only travel to play, but hope to see a traveling contingent from.

I could not change the date and expect to get great numbers, much in the same sense I wouldnt purpusely schedule an event against an Iowa event, as obviously the numbers WOULD take a hit. I am sorry to have put Tom into a position where he had to change the date of his event.

We would have 4-7 people travel to Ottumwa. If those people wanted to go I would have understood. Judging by most of the comments on the DSM site, the attendance there still would have been good. If not very good. I wasnt expecting to snag a bunch of players from Ottumwa, quite different, since few Iowans ( More DSM players, I guess) attended our event in July. I was looking more at Chicago-area players.

Again, dont misread anything into it. I made a mistake by NOT going through the proper channels. I had no intent to screw up anyones event, and felt real bad when I heard it was Tom Cremer running it. Im not sure if we have met, but Ive only heard good things. I swear it wasnt listed on the PDGA event calendar, and I was more worried about the impact that this event could have on the QCs and on myself than doing enough research to prevent it. Anyone that thinks I would do it intentionally is way off base, and knows nothing about me.

> Jay can you link this to the DSM thread?
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:18 am

no problem Chase.
GDL17921

Postby tbw_10130 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:22 am

Thanks Chase for posting what happened. It has obviously gotten a lot more difficult to try and get tourneys scheduled to everyone's liking (and will continue to do so).

And, I think you may be right about it not being on the PDGA site. I think it showed up there relatively late (and therefore well into your discussions with the PDGA).

Hopefully, both tourneys will be great and we'll have better luck next year!
tbw_10130

Postby Chase20460 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:27 pm

GDL17921 wrote:no problem Chase.

Thank You.
http://www.ironliondgs.com
"I dont come to bow, I come to blow"- Bob Marley

"Im in the Gooooooo!" - Francine Smith
Chase20460

Next

Return to Ottumwa - Indian Hills Community College