Teepads

Teepads

Postby KePP » Thu May 17, 2007 7:27 am

I know I'm a little early on this, but I had a few thoughts concerning the teepads at West Lake. I totally trust that Chad has this under control, I just wanted to bring this up as a preventative measure.

In the past, when non-disc golfers (ie parks people) have been responsible for installing courses, there have been some decisions made that disc golfers would've done differently. I'm wondering if a basic guide for the parks people would make their job easier as well as improve the final product? I haven't formed and poured teepads myself, but I imagine three important aspects are size, slope, and texture.

Is it important for the teepads to be level, or at least as close as possible? Or are some tees from an uphill/downhill slope intentionally? I think of hole 24's tee, has a little uphill slope, sure makes the tee shot harder.

What about texture? I remember a discussion about texture when Prospect was going in. I think a lot of people liked Galesburgs tees, particularly for the texture but also for the large trapezoidal shape. I like the grip that a textured tee provides as opposed to a slick, smooth finish. If the texture is too deep, does it crumble and become cruddy over time (this didn't seem to be the case at Buffalo Ridge)? You can also do cool designs - here is an example of some addt'l tees they recently added to Buffalo Ridge in Phoenix:

KePP

Postby DVS1 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:49 am

I prefer tined tee pads because the grooves allow the playable surface to dry out quicker, I know most others don't like them that way though. Hopefully the West Lake's will be 14'+ long on the long holes!
DVS1

Re: Teepads

Postby shane » Thu May 17, 2007 9:20 pm

I imagine three important aspects are size, slope, and texture.

thats what she said
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby GDL17921 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:41 pm

what's the status on the tees master bat dude?
GDL17921

Postby batlord » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:49 pm

Currently, there are tee boards installed (on the hottest days of the year) for 1-14 and 24. They are the pro (long) tees. The rest will be put in very soon, depending on the weather.

I've got a call in to Dan Naab about concrete, but I don't think he has time. I have names of other contractors who have also been recommended, so I'll be making those calls next week, I think. The park wants the concrete in soon, but the tee boards will have to suffice for now. Tee #1 and #9 have been moved back and right (just look for them) for a number of reasons. Tee #19 will also be moved back across the inlet, but that's the only one that should change drastically.

The concrete will be similar to easten avenue (except flush with the ground, not built up). The ground will be landscaped or leveled as appropriate. There will be texture of some sort, so they don't get slick.
batlord

Postby KePP » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:55 pm

batlord wrote:Tee #19 will also be moved back across the inlet

:shock: :) That ought to increase my lost disc average to slightly above 2.
KePP

Postby Single L » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:00 pm

I'm a little leery on designs and such on tees. I’ve played on some that had a lot of detail and looked great, but the detail cause them to use a smooth finish as a textured one would have ruined the detail, and thus causing them do play poorly. Just my 2 cents.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby batlord » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:00 pm

KePP wrote:
batlord wrote:Tee #19 will also be moved back across the inlet

:shock: :) That ought to increase my lost disc average to slightly above 2.

Yeah, I figured that, but I also think most people aren't going to play from the long tee on that hole. It will get used during tournaments, though. It's a make or break hole. Still reachable for those with ballzac. The tee that people have been using will be the short tee.
batlord

Postby KePP » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:12 pm

From the longs I think my strategy would be to throw it into the trees, throw it out, and get up and down from there as opposed to a re-tee with penalty.
KePP

Postby batlord » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:37 am

The tee boards (longs only) have all been put in the ground, so people can finally play the course as it was intended. Concrete will be installed this year, but we're working on a time frame for that. Note that the tees for #1, #9, and #19 have all moved.

Huge thanks to Alex and K.C. for coming out last night in the rain (it actually stopped once we started digging). I couldn't have gotten the course finished last night without their help.

Now I just need to do a little authorized clearing on holes 14, 16, 17, and 19, and we're good. Maybe a few others, but those are the ones I noticed last night.

Enjoy.
batlord

Postby KePP » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:09 am

What's a tee board?
KePP

Postby GDL17921 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:15 am

KePP wrote:What's a tee board?

See Longview. :roll:
GDL17921

Postby KePP » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:35 am

Ah, old school. Railroad ties, basically.
KePP

Postby batlord » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:17 am

More or less, Kepp. 6x6 posts laid flat in the ground. But now we're going to have to adjust our maps and scorecards and such. That's easy to do on my end. I just need to get the parks people new scorecards for their office.
batlord

Postby K.C. » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:38 am

The new #19 is sick! Its a possible deuce, but one of the hardest placement shots on the course for it. GORGEOUS shot, though!
K.C.

Next

Return to Davenport - West Lake