Course Layout

Course Layout

Postby Skell » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:24 am

Here is the course layout for people who are thinking about coming to play our course for the first time.

Hole #1 - Starts by the big plastic playground and horse shoe pits.
Hole #2 - Starts along side of the baseball diamond by the scoreboard which is on the first base side.
Hole #3 - You will see the sign while you are playing #2 you go right past it.
Hole #4 - After you finish #3 you have to walk a ways. Get on the gravel road that comes up to the 2 baseball diamonds you just finished at. Cross the little car bridge that is even with the ground. Tee is right after you cross the bridge on the right side. Hole is down in the corner of the woods.
Hole #5 - Follow the path into the woods after hole 4. Tee will be on your left, hole plays inside the woods.
Hole #6 - Come out of the woods after you finish #5. Start walking back towards the basket for #4. You will see the post. You may have seen it while you were playing #4. Basket is around on the back side of the big group of trees and bushes that you are looking at when you are standing on the tee.
Hole #7 - We lost the sign post for this hole when the river flooded. We will be replacing it sometime. Walk back towards the river and bridge that you crossed when you finished #3 and were on your way to #4. The tee is right between the 2 big trees that are next to the river. This is a short hole, only like 170 ft. Basket is up by the pool.
Hole #8 - Continue walking around the pool when you finish #7 and cross the walking bridge back into the main park. Tee is next to the bridge when you get down the steps.
Hole #9 - Is by the other walking bridge when you finish #8. It is pretty easy to see.

I hope this helps alot of you in finding the holes. Some are tricky to find it you don't know where to look. We are working on getting some signs made that will help guide new players around the course.

DISC GOLF!!!!
Skell

Postby claring » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:34 pm

Walsh and I stopped and played today on our way home.
Nice course only complaint was we could not find hole 7 tee, so we made up one. Wish we would have read the previous post.
Walsh shot an impressive 25 with 3 spit outs and I shot a 21 (no spit outs)

Why is there not a hole playing over the river such as maybe #4?
claring

Postby Skell » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:25 am

Yeah, when we had first designed the course we had a couple that went over the river. But when I was going to Park Board meetings and City Counsel meetings to get it approved they didn't like the idea of holes that crossed the river. So we had to make some adjustments so there wasn't any going over the river. We are starting to plan some long tees for next year maybe. We think we might be able to talk them into letting us do that for some of the long tees. But thanks for coming by and playing. The previous course best was a 23 by me, so it looks like you hold the course record for our young course.
Skell

Postby claring » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:50 pm

When we were looking for #4 we walkes around the small ball field and seen 4's basket across the river. That would be a sweet spot for a hole, only about 150ft.
I birdied every thing but holes 2,6,& 8. I was actually closer to 6 than I was tol either hole 2 or 8. Before anybody asks yes I went big hyzer.

This will definately become one of my stops when ever I go to MN.
claring

Postby Skell » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:08 am

Here are some things that will be happening and a few things I plan on trying to get done for next year (summer '08 ).

Thanks to an RV park coming into the far east end of the open area south of the pool, hole #6 is going to have to be moved. I am guessing they will start working on that next summer some time. So I am planning on putting the tee pad in the woods after hole #5, and you have to shoot through a tunnel to get it out of the woods, then the basket for #6 will be out in the open area some where. Definately not as much fun as trying to throw 400 ft over or around a huge thick island of trees and shrubs. But it should be a good shot having to come out of the woods.

I am gonna see about getting cement teepads. That would be stinking awesome! They didn't want to put those in when we built it because, they didn't want anything permanent like that until they saw how much it was going to be used. But with all of the traffic disc golf created through the park this summer, I think we could have a good chance of making improvements like this.

While seeing about the cement tee pads, I am going to see about maybe adding an additional Tee for a few holes, maybe not for all right away, but a few of them. So we can have a long a short tee for some. That would be stinking awesome also!

And maybe just maybe, we can add a few more holes. I am thinking we could make a pretty good 14 hole course. With adding 4 more holes in the woods with #5, and one more down in the east end of the park. 18 holes would be pushing it, but I think a 14 hole course would be perfect. Then if we ever want to we can just add 4 temp holes for tournaments and stuff like that. It would all depend on if the owner's of the woods would let us put more holes in there. I don't see why they wouldn't let us, since they let us put one in there, and the woods aren't used for anything else. But maybe this would be a project for 2009. But hey! anything can happen!

I am excited for expanding and improving our course!
Skell

Postby KePP » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:03 pm

Congrats! Sounds exciting. Your hard work is appreciated.
KePP

Postby Dale Jordal » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Hey Skell ! It is time to update this thread... your course is twice as big now! I really like the new poles you added in the woods,and nice job getting another 18 pole course in North Iowa!
FCDGC Home of the:
IA/MN Border Bash - (Iowa Tour Event)
Battle at the Bridge - (North Iowa Tour Event)
Forest City, Iowa
Dale Jordal

Postby Skell » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:08 am

Yeah I will have to find some time to update it.
Skell

Return to Northwood - Swensrud Park