Throwing a forehand drive

Learn to throw from local experts.

Throwing a forehand drive

Postby mattmelcher » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:52 pm

Ive been trying to learn how to throw a forehand drive off the tee. My results are sorry to say the least. I have no consistency, no distance, and no idea where the disc is going. So, I ask you all for advice.

1. What discs would you recommend?

2. How do you aim? For example; when I throw backhand I pick a spot I want to throw to (taking into account the flight characteristics of the disc) by holding the disc straight out towards that point.

2a. How do you start your throw on the tee? Are you facing the target or are you leading with your shoulder?

3. What is your footwork like?

4. Is it a 'body' throw or is it mostly arm?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm really trying to get better this year. I've made strides, but I can't seem to make the forehand drive work at all.
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Postby flyinplastic23 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:14 pm

see if you can find any video of Avery Jenkins or Geoff Bennet throwing forehand. I have the Edge DVD and they have the forehand broken down on that but obviously not in the right format to share with you.
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:19 pm

Matt, why didn't you just pull Gary & I out to the course? LOL j/k...

I got some pointers froma guy named Brian Donahue from MN, no clue if he's still al worlds competitor, but he was @ the time.

Anyway, I'll be happy to run you through these steps in person...

I'm no expert, but throw them as a utility drive in some circumstances, but throw it less & less now that I have a nice anhyzer now w/ either the star beast, sidewinder, or avenger SS...

Anyway, I was taught to hold it w/ two fingers under the disc, either together or split is up to you. Together supposedly gets you more distance, but split gives you more control.

Similar to a backhand, you need to focus on keeping a good footwork ( x-step-like), reachback (I like to keep mine right @ shoulder height), a nice body as you pull through, and a good strong follow through... Watching some guys, I learned to line up my forehand throw before actually throwing it.

Whether throwing shoulder height like I do or low to the ground, keepign the disc level, and keeping the nose down so you have the trajectory ofr distance...

oh shit, just watch the video. I just re-listened to it while typing, and it's got what you need. pay attention to the footwork, body turn, angle, and follow through. Let me know if you want to go throw @ the soccer fields some time...

DISCRAFT tutorial - it's VERY helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjhiTI

Disc Selection: Practice with what you've got, and figure it out. All general rules w/ disc selection still apply though, like understable for a beginner, teebird/XL for straight & learning how to get the right mechanics, then increase to stable/overstable as you go.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby mattmelcher » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:45 pm

Thanks Jason - I posted here instead of asking you guys cause...I always ask you guys! I just wanted to hear some other ideas in addition to the soccer field work out I knew you would offer.

I've seen the Discraft video a few dozen times but for whatever reason I just can't seem to execute. As in everything, there's a big difference between watching and doing...

Work at the soccer fields should help tremendously. Thanks again for the offer!
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:59 pm

Gary & I will see you there @ 4:30...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby flyinplastic23 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:40 pm

looks like George Lucas.
A person with great dreams can accomplish great things- Bob Rotella

Pionta Guinness, le do thoil
flyinplastic23

Postby ghstinshll » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:13 am

ye, he does - except GL really has turned white these days! LOL