Peninsula Message Board

Postby peyton » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:35 pm

This could be like the USDGC. Ropes were to expensive so you let the wrath of Stibal loose on the course. All water is OB. Tournament central can be the Black Pearl.
peyton

Well Done!

Postby K.C. » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:23 am

Eng and I have been anxious to try this course out, and we finally had the opportunity to play Penninsula this weekend (he's crazy busy and I'm never available).

But, WOW, we were both REALLY impressed. You can tell that its still in its infancy, but it is really well thought out, makes wonderful use of the terrain, and plays fantastic golf. The rough is pretty darn rough right now (mainly because of itch-weed and poison ivy), but I would assume that when school gets in and it starts getting more play (and beginners trampling down all that crap), the course will be pristine in no time.

The wooded holes were spectacular, and I wish more courses around here played like those holes. (I'll, once again, refer to a personal favorite of mine, Lake Eureka, outside of Peoria. Penninsula played like that course after some steroid use, where you either learn to hit a line...or go play Sugar Bottom. I like that!)

Big kudos, all that were involved. I look forward to playin' it again.
K.C.

Postby KePP » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:01 pm

GDL17921 wrote:It is apparent that much work went into the design, as well as the construction of this course. Nice stairs, great tees, message board is unprecedented.......The list goes on and on. I'm very impressed.

I agree, this course is impressive from the moment you pull into the parking lot (with exception to the misleading, unintimidating first hole). The huge basket-shaped message board is "unprecedented." The dog park is cool. The nice open area with a practice basket is perfect. And the message board actually has organized, useful information on it (like what pin placements the baskets are in).

I was lucky enough to play Peninsula for the first time today. Now I can't wait to play it again. Next time we'll probably do Peninsula, Washington, and Muscatine. Or even better play two rounds from different teepads. I loved how the A & B placements weren't sorted by short and long. On some holes, A is the difficult placement... on some holes B is the difficult placement. The red & blue teepads seemed to be that way on a few, too.

As for how the course played, its definitely up there as some of the best golf I've played. But what separates this course are the SUPERIOR teepads, signs, trails, and most specifically, the arrow markers that keep you on track the whole time. We printed a map and never once needed it. For a twisty, wooded course like that, that's amazing. I would love to see similar arrow signs at West Lake.

GDL17921 wrote:And yeah, it blows Middle away, not even close.

I disagree. I think the open holes at Middle (first 11) are better, but the wooded holes at Peninsula blow Middle away. However, I don't think the prairie holes at Peninsula have to offer what the front part of Middle does. And when I say "Middle" I mean Middle in the longs, not the puny weak placements.
KePP

Postby frogawitdafizzle » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:24 pm

There is nothing to compare, peninsula is superior by far, like comparing a VW to an Audi, both good cars but one is quite a step above. Come back and play the other pads to the other placements. Compare to West Lake your best, not Middle.
frogawitdafizzle

Postby Captain » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:46 am

KePP wrote: But what separates this course are the SUPERIOR teepads, signs, trails, and most specifically, the arrow markers that keep you on track the whole time. We printed a map and never once needed it. For a twisty, wooded course like that, that's amazing.

Thanks for the kind words. I can't tell you what a pain in the ass it was to make those signs, but as you can see, it's worth it.
Captain

Postby Kelly K » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:17 pm

KePP wrote:The huge basket-shaped message board is "unprecedented."

by far the COOLEST message board EVER!!!! anyone have a picture of this baby?
Kelly K

Photos

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:00 pm

I have lots of photos. Want some?
prodiscgolf

Postby Kelly K » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:00 am

can ya post one on here?
Kelly K

Postby 10up » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:54 am

How's she looking lately? I'm going to try and get a group together soon to come down and hit it up for a day.
you're not the girl you think you are
10up

Postby KePP » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:47 am

I'm also wanting to plan a trip here soon. Wonder if some of the backside is under water?
KePP

Postby prodiscgolf » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:40 pm

#5's Blue fairway has been under water since March and doesn't look like it will drain anytime soon. I haven't been out there since the 6-7 inches of rain earlier this week, but the course dries out quickly. I didn't notice the Iowa River out of its banks near City Park so the course should be okay. Enjoy!
prodiscgolf

Postby Kelly K » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:43 pm

Well, we had a pretty productive work night last night, thank you to all who showed up! The course is looking pretty good for state champs, just need to get the city to mow and we'll be golden!!

Thanks again everyone!!
Kelly K

Postby GDL17921 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:30 pm

Kelly B wrote:just need to get the city to mow

that's it? :roll: :lol:
GDL17921

Postby Captain » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:15 pm

GDL2000 wrote:
Kelly B wrote:just need to get the city to mow

that's it? :roll: :lol:

Oh yea, they're going to deliver picnic tables for us to use. After state champs, they're building us a shelter to put over the picnic tables. So far, City of IC has been pretty good to us.
Captain

Previous

Return to Iowa City - Peninsula Park