Anyone know when this will be complete?

Anyone know when this will be complete?

Postby rjmiller » Sun May 13, 2007 1:00 pm

I've been playing the course now and then with 11 baskets and 7 stakes for weeks. All the pads are there, the 7 baskets just need to be placed and maybe some course cleanup. Fairways are even mowed in spots. When's this going to be completed?
rjmiller

Postby Latch » Tue May 15, 2007 12:27 pm

I'll check into it and let you know. Dennis Pedrick had been the main person driving the project and his torn acl has slowed things down...JON

-------------------------------------
Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:12 pm Post subject:

Latch wrote:
[I did recently design a new 18 hole course at Pella Central College. The course starts at the big parking lot just east of the main soccer field. Jon

As soon as we get the course completely in, we'll be making the big announcement. At this time, we have all the pads in the ground, as well as 9 baskets (scattered across the course). There are still six holes that need major tree hauling to make them playable, and no tee signs are up as of yet. However, we hope to have everything done in the next two months.

As I have been diagnosed with torn cartilage and a torn ACL, things might progress a little slower than hoped (surgery next week).... No biking until at least March, and no disc golf until June or July at the earliest

If you want more information on the course, e-mail me at pedrickd (at) central (dot) edu, and I'll be glad to give you an update.

Have a good holiday, and enjoy the weather for me... Dennis
Happy Discing!
Latch

Central College Course Completion

Postby spike » Thu May 17, 2007 2:27 pm

The Central College course is nearing completion. All the pads have been poured, and approximately half the baskets are in place. Given the ice storm and the subsequent clean-up (plus the spring-time preparation of soccer, baseball, and various other fields, graduation, etc), the grounds crew are behind finishing the course.

That said, all the wooded holes have finally been cleared (twice -- the original clearing, then the reclearing because of the ice storm). Almost all of the timber has been either mulched or moved out of the way. As time permits, the tee-signs and baskets are being placed (hopefully completely by June 15).

Our facilities personnel are bringing on two part-time workers beginning June 1st. Their primary duties will include finishing up the course and removing brush and mowing the entire course on a regular basis. Starting this fall, a student (who is also an avid disc golfer) will be working with facilities on the course as part of his work-study assignment. We will also be adding a message center at the first tee-pad.

We apologize for the delay. I really wanted to have the course completed by early spring. Once the course is completely finished, I will be posting all the details (including a course map, etc), on the PDGA website.

As for me...another knee surgery awaits at the end of May. However, I hope to be playing again sometime prior to winter (:>)...

If you have any questions, regarding the course, please feel free to e-mail me at pedrickd (at) central (dot) edu.

Regards -- Dennis
spike

Postby shane » Thu May 17, 2007 9:14 pm

I grew up in Pella and I'm trying to picture where the course is could you help me get a visual?
Are you ready for the Challenge?
shane

Postby rjmiller » Sun May 20, 2007 9:59 pm

I just moved here a few months ago so it'll probably be a poor description...

It's on the west side of Central's campus near the athletic fields (I think those are sort of new so you might not know those are there). The course kind of goes along this creek that's back there. I'd say there's a chance to land in the creek on about half of the holes.
rjmiller

Postby rjmiller » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:45 am

The course is in. Tee-signs and everything. So far, it's one of the most well maintained and yet least used courses I've ever seen.
rjmiller

Postby Tiki » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:43 pm

Has the poison ivy been taken care of?
Tiki

Postby puppetmaster » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Had a blast today playing. was worred win I saw that there were so many short shots, I was way wrong. Hole one was probley the easyest (we wont say how bad I shot) but then it started getting tricky. Hit the pole on hole 4, someday I'll get that ace.

Very tech course, it kind of reminded me and Dan of KC down under (the tightness) but the were no cliffs.

Warning on hole 10 (I think) right next to the basket there is a baby locest tree with 2 inch spikes. This one should be cut down. Be carefull.

Not 1 person was playing when we were there. Dont understand that. In about 1 month, I bet it will be busy all the time. If not, it sure wasn't because of the design.

Pella, you did one hell of a good job. Thanks

And after you play this course, go south 5 miles to Roberts creek in Red Rock. Another good one.

Pella, one more thing, Garbage cans please.

One last commit, Dan (10up) Be carefull, if there are more than 3 people playing, someone might be hit with a disc. But look at the bright side, you can add it to you "most dangerest course" list
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby Single L » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:55 pm

mtldetect1 wrote:Not 1 person was playing when we were there. Dont understand that. In about 1 month, I bet it will be busy all the time. If not, it sure wasn't because of the design.

I played on Sat 7/28 and didn't see a soul, but that is to be expected.

A-New sport in small ass town, people have no clue what it is
B-New Course just installed, people aren't aware it exists yet
C-On a College Campus, and a suitcase college at that, Summer = no students, it should be busier in the school year.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby snapple16551 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:16 pm

I wouldn't exactly call the course "finished." There is at least one fairway that is not completed, as well as a green made up completely of poison ivy. I can't believe I got done with that course and my legs weren't completely covered in the stuff. A shout out to T.J. and his baby wipes.

-Snapple
snapple16551

Postby Single L » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:42 pm

snapple16551 wrote:I wouldn't exactly call the course "finished." There is at least one fairway that is not completed, as well as a green made up completely of poison ivy.........

Yeah, the Ivy is thick. I managed to escape with minor spots.
The Greens need some love, Ivy and fairness.
Are you talking about Hole #16 (the one with a tree the size of a house and numerous saplings) when you reference unfinished fairways? Cause that hole could be really nice with the saplings removed.
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby puppetmaster » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:12 pm

PISS-POOR Maintance..........
Will be a while b4 I visit there again

They mow it when it was new, and by the way it looked saturday, I dont think they have mowed it sence

What, they think the collage kids will enjoy losing there disc all the time (no I didn't lose any) or do they think the foot traffic will ware it down..?

Poison Ivy doesn't bother me at all (I can roll in the stuff) but what about others......

They have spent some $$$$$$$ buying everything, did they forget to budget the gas to mow or the people to mow.

As I said b4; PISS POOR MAINTANCE
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Central College course maintenance issues

Postby spike » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:53 pm

>>They mow it when it was new, and by the way it looked saturday, I dont think they have mowed it sence"

1. It hadn't been. Now that school has started, we have our student workers on board. The course was completely mowed yesterday. We got all the major portions mowed, and will be working on expanding some of the other holes around the baskets (i.e., 2, 5, and 18). We'll be getting to the trimming around trees as time permits.

2. We're spraying the hell out of the poison ivy and the areas where there are large areas of broad-leaf weeds in and around wooded fairways. Because of environmental concerns, we don't use Roundup. Instead, we use chemicals that are better for the environment, but take longer to kill off woody vines like poison ivy. I get infected just by looking at it. Trust me -- it's as big an issue for me as it is for you.

3. We've got three employees who maintain, in addition to the disc golf course: three football fields, three baseball fields, three soccer fields, a ball-golf driving range, and an 8,000 meter cross country course. They are also responsible for all the set up and tear down of all the events associated with football, men and women's soccer, men's baseball, women's softball, women's tennis, men and women's cross country, and any other events that use Central College outdoor athletic facilties (high school meets, alumni events, etc.). All the above sports are sanctioned by the NCAA. Guess where disc golf fits into the calculus?

Also remember that this is the first year the course has been in the ground, and the people who have to maintain it need to figure out how to incorporate the additional course maintenance into their master schedule.

4. Our development office calculates the annual throw-off of an endowment to be 4% of the principal. Your $250,000 gift will allow us to target a whole $10,000 annually toward the maintenance of the disc golf course.

So come on back! Bring your machete and Ivy Block. And don't forget your checkbook so we can rectify our piss-poor maintenance. We could use expert players like yourself on the course helping to constructively promote a new program. And did I mention that over 50% of our student body are 18-22 year old females?

Best regards -- DP
spike

Postby puppetmaster » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:33 pm

sorry it took me so long to get back with you, sence Ive read your post, Ive been crying the hole time. Three men, sniffle, sniffle

and as far as the $10,000 a year for maintance, you must have been a goverment employee before getting that job.

tell you what though, the day we (norwalk) recieves a check for our up-keep, and if its to much, I'll foward the rest for you. Sound good?

Got to go and buy some more tissue
puppetmaster

Postby irban » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:11 pm

Enough with the sarcasm. I'm begining to tear up a little myself.
~~~- ¥
irban

Location: A State of Minds. (the idiot who thought this was clever is back, did you notice?)

Next

Return to Pella - Central College