HELP Needed for NORWALK course

Moderators: GDL17921, Clue, shane

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:53 pm

Cory, the Crystal plastic is z, right? I saw jeff (lastname?) playing w/ a Z-Putt'r the ohter night. there's NO way that thing could stick in the chains... Maybe FLX Challenger?

Anyway, I think the Glides have their place in this collection, might go Buzz, Xpress, Stable Driver to be named, and Glide - or SHOULD we have a putter? I'll see if we can order fewer putters, and more of other models?

Ok, there are my initial thoughts... This course is still new, so let's keep the discs as "newbie models" for now?

Need thoughts on the putter & driver though. Maybe get Bangers in the regular plastic - or maybe FLX Challengers...

Innova's expensive compared to discraft, I posted that on page 3 or so of the "help Norwalk" thread

Speaking of help norwalk... Tonado touched down? i heard ther's a lot of damage.

Discounts for clubs?

Is it time to form a n informal club for these benefits?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby mattmelcher » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:03 pm

As Jason said in the previous post, we had a tornado touch down in Norwalk this afternoon around 4:45. I haven't heard of any injuries, but I did hear about some homes that sustained some damage. The wind was blowing something fierce. I almost lost my back door but other than that, my home had no damage. After things settled down a bit, my wife and I went around town to check things out. As we drove down our street things looked fine, but as we got a little further up the road there was a lot more damage. There are trees down all over town, but that seemed to be the
worst of the damage. I did see a couple of trees that damaged some home. I saw several trees that were just snapped in half. The Casey's is pretty beat up, and there is a lot of tree debris all over, but I would have to say that we were very lucky. Later I took a walk around around the park and checked out the course. There was some damage to a few trees but over all I would say it was minor. I will say the Windflower area had the least amount of damage in the entire city

This is looking from my deck up to the 6th hole. You can make out the sign

This is the first willow tree on hole 3

This is looking up the 6th fairway. I'm sure some guys will be happy about losing this tree...

This is the area around the 5th and 7th hole. By my count there are 2 trees down here

Here's the basket on 7. Six inches either way and the basket is destroyed. As it is, once the tree is removed you will be able to play again. We'll call it an ace...

Here's 7 again. You can see the basket in the tree, I think.

Again, I would have to say we are very lucky here. For the most part the damage in the city was mostly to trees. I know it could have been a whole lot worse.
Makes it's own sauce when you add water...
mattmelcher

Postby puppetmaster » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:46 pm

Ok, hole seven 2 trees have been cut into small pcs. Nancy's part-timers will try to get it picked it up sometime this week. There is still anothe one leaning real bad and I will get to it as soon as possable but it might be after the 4th when I get the time. Our main concern is getting the trees off the curbs. So if your playing 7, throw to the right of the pine tree and it sould be prutty clear, if you throw to the left, your have to throw around the leaning tree. As far as #3, throw a Crush side arm and your do fine.

Doesnt look like Ill be playing for a week or two. After a chainsaw all day, I wont feel like disc'en, I take that back, Im going down to osky if the weather is good and after running to chainsaw all week, I bet I'll be able to get it over the pond, piece of cake :lol:

Nancy told me that some Des Moines people showed up to clean up the park, Thank you, the reason she said no was for liability reasons. But thank you anyway, I would have let you for what its worth.

Hay Matt, your the only one that hit the tree on #6 :shock:
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby ghstinshll » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:16 pm

Six inches either way and the basket is destroyed.

WHEW!!!

throw a crush sidearm

Personally,I haven't met ANYONE who does THAT well w/ a sidearm CRUSH... LMAO! (-;
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Single L » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:22 am

ghstinshll wrote:Cory, the Crystal plastic is z, right? I saw jeff (lastname?) playing w/ a Z-Putt'r the ohter night. there's NO way that thing could stick in the chains... Maybe FLX Challenger?

Anyway, I think the Glides have their place in this collection, might go Buzz, Xpress, Stable Driver to be named, and Glide - or SHOULD we have a putter? I'll see if we can order fewer putters, and more of other models?

Ok, there are my initial thoughts... This course is still new, so let's keep the discs as "newbie models" for now?

Need thoughts on the putter & driver though. Maybe get Bangers in the regular plastic - or maybe FLX Challengers...

Innova's expensive compared to discraft, I posted that on page 3 or so of the "help Norwalk" thread

Speaking of help norwalk... Tonado touched down? i heard ther's a lot of damage.

Discounts for clubs?

Is it time to form a n informal club for these benefits?

Yes the Crystal is a version of Z; it is clear plastic that modifies the flight ever so slightly that only a trained thrower could ever notice. The Crystal Challenger is not the best at grabbing chains, but it is one of the best, IMO, when used as an approach disc.

I would highly recommend NOT getting the Xpress, I threw it when I started and I was highly disappointed.

Shoot AO a PM, he is one of the top Discraft pro's and will shoot you straight on what to get.

I would recommend:
1. FLX - Buzzz
2. Z - XL
3. X - Soft Challenger
4. Z - Glide

Sorry to hear about the damage, the heavy rains in Belle Plaine (Shameless Plug; Franklin Fling, Sunday July 8th, Belle Plaine Iowa, PDGA C-Tier) on Friday caused a flash flood that pulled out a collar, half a bridge, and an entire basket (concrete and all).
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:12 am

Ok, I've got phone call in to re-order some discs, but I need the order form from the guy first.

Going to go with:

Z-XL
Z-Glide
Z-Surge or Avenger
Z-Buzz

I thought about getting an ESP SS Avenger, but like the Z-Surge they have a Ring aroudn teh disc before they custom stamp them. Gary, Matt, Dan - do you think the Glide's looked ok w/ that ring on them? If so, then that will help, but I'm leaning toward the Z-Avenger first, maybe the Z-Surge second, and the ESP Avenger SS last. The SS Avenger is last because of the way the ESP plastic stamps - like the putters we had - it will stamp in white or black only, I bet...

I know i used to have a Z-surge I liked for sidearm & backhand shots, btu it has "the ring" also.

Your thoughts?
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby puppetmaster » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:19 pm

X - Soft Challenger

I liked the one porkchop had, I would like to see this as a putter. Other than that, Im leaving the choice up to you
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
puppetmaster

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:52 pm

That's teh FLX Challenger, ok... Just know that Nancy's thinking "no putter", but if you liked the feel of it - I say it can go in.

BTW DID YOU SEE THE CHUCKING ORANGE SPRAY PAINT ALL OVER THE SIGN & SKATEBOARD RAMP? Start tearing the ramp down, I say put it across from the GDamned police station!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:56 pm

Ok: when the F'ers call me back from Discraft...

Z-Avenger
Z-Buzz
Z-Glide
FLX Challenger

Corey, do they fly well as approach discs - or newbie first / multipurpose discs? I'm assuming so.

I remember the first time I played. It was @ Southwoods, and was SO proud I was only +3, w/ an aviar... I didn't know their par ratings were bunk though! LOL!
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:09 pm

Apparently the FLX Challenger is for Clubsor Tournaments ONLY. I'll try to get them - but will choose the Z-XL if I can't get the FLX Challenger.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:21 pm

##39027
ghstinshll

Postby ghstinshll » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:38 pm

I put a call to Discraft today to find out where our discs are... I'd think they'd be in - in a week or so, but I want confirmation.
##39027
ghstinshll

Previous

Return to Des Moines Disc Golf Club