Learning curve

Learn to throw from local experts.

Learning curve

Postby travis.bundy » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:17 pm

Alright, I think I know the basics of the game but I'm changing my bag completely to a lineup of discs that I think will improve my game greatly once mastered. Should I work on perfecting the control and throw of these discs before I worry about more difficult shots?(Anhyzer, S, Helix, reverse S, Hyzer Flip) Btw, I dont know what a Helix and Hyzer flip is so if somebody could explain that woudl be great or direct me to a site with info or videos on them.

Right now my plan is to get a feel for my new discs before I try the more difficult throws.
travis.bundy

Postby SpikeHyzer » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:48 pm

www.discgolfreview.com The only source of dg info you will need.
SpikeHyzer

Re: Learning curve

Postby KePP » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:25 am

travis.bundy wrote:Right now my plan is to get a feel for my new discs before I try the more difficult throws.

Sounds like a good plan. The #2 most important aspect is just being able to consistently get your disc in the middle of the fairway. Distance and special shots come with time. I learned how to turn a disc over by doing it accidentally a bunch of times. Irritating but inevitable. Oh and #1 is putting.
KePP

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:38 am

True that...

It's hard to do when you're new because you want to "play", but practicing putting is WAY important. I've been a casual player for a long time, had no idea how much work it took to get good @ putting, but I'm getting there.

Travis, finding someone in your area who wants to work with "someone who's willing to listen & learn" would be invaluable for you. You seem eager to learn, that's good. Start w/ putting w/ someone. If they're knowledgeable enough, they could show you multiple styles of putting. Then work with you onyour form for each style (2-3 ways, maybe?),and then it'll be up to you to practice them until you find something that works well. Having 2-3 putters or more helps in practicing, as well.
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby Birdman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:25 pm

something that i found on ken climo site where he talks about his putting was his practice. & how he always forced himself to take 100 practice putts before he played his first round for the day. while 100 is a big number for me i take at least 30 warm up putts before a casual round and probably 100 before a competetive round. in the long run it has worked out very well for me.

kenclimo.com is the url btw for that site[/url]
The real excitement is playing the game.
Birdman

Postby ghstinshll » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:59 pm

And Climo's tutorial on putting has "reset" my putting a couple of times... Great stuff there...
##39027
ghstinshll

Return to Throwing Technique