Thornton - Prairie Disc Golf Course

Let us know what you want to see on the forum, or on the main website.

Thornton - Prairie Disc Golf Course

Postby Peil » Wed May 16, 2007 8:08 am

There is a new 9-hole course in Thornton. I added it to the PDGA Online Course Directory yesterday and I was wondering if we could add a forum for it on this site. Thanks.
Peil

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:04 am

i was just gonna suggest that rob.

do you have some info on that tourney coming up? i think i read it somewhere.
calvarycoffee

Postby Peil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:20 am

calvarycoffee wrote:do you have some info on that tourney coming up? i think i read it somewhere.

There will be a tournament on Saturday, July 14 (Thornton Big Days) starting at 1:00 pm. That's about all I know right now. I'm the one running the tournament and am having trouble making up my mind about entry fees, possible player packs and stuff like that. Any suggestions on what the players in the area would like to see?

I'm also running another tournament on Saturday, June 30 in Coulter for Coulter Fun Day. That will start around 3:00 pm. Having the same problem with making up my mind about that one too. I'll post more when I do.
Peil

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:38 am

Hmm. . . i think entry fee should correspond with your amount of advertizement. If you are putting lots of ads in papers and lots of signage in different towns, ect., then a higher entry fee.

If you do the tourney "word of mouth." I would say keep the fee in the low range.

I would think $10-$15 would be a good entry fee for us small 9 hole courses. (basically the price of a "free" disc).

I'm sure lots of our saturday group will go. I'll push it every week.
calvarycoffee

Postby calvarycoffee » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:17 pm

this course is SWEET!

i got to play it friday. i was the only one in the park. love it!!!
calvarycoffee

Postby Peil » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the course Dave. Everyone that worked on it is very, very happy with how it turned out. Did you manage to stay out of the rough? What was your favorite hole? For being a new course, I think this course actually gets quite a bit of play. I know that I love playing it every chance I get.
Peil

Postby calvarycoffee » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:21 am

i got into the prarie grass on my drive on #4

i didn't know where the prarie grass ended, so i tried to follow the fairway with a sweeping anhyser with my roc. i dropped it right in the grass. . . ugh. grass was 5 feet high. took me a good 5-10 minutes to find it.

Other than that, not too bad. . . 28 on both rounds.
calvarycoffee

Postby Peil » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:37 am

Hole #3 is the one that gets me every time I'm out there. Throwing 300ft. up a slight hill and in between the water and the prairie grass. The day of the grand opening I thought I had an ace on #4 but it turns out I hit the sign next to the prairie grass instead of the basket. That prairie grass is nasty stuff. I'm not sure if there's any poison ivy in there and I don't really want to find out. Sounds like you shot pretty well both rounds.
Peil

Ace

Postby Peil » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:33 am

Dallas Paris aced the 160 ft. Hole #8 during the Big Days Tournament on July 14. He used a 175g DX Firebird thrown on a spike hyzer. The pin cannot be seen from the tee so the only one to actually witness the disc go in the basket was Rusty Murl.
Peil

Postby Single L » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:37 pm

Had a chance to play on my way home from Clear Lake yesterday. A very clean, well landscaped and enjoyable course. A great beginner/rec course, with a few tweaks could be a good advanced level course.

Favorite hole would be hole #1, nice gap and about the only guarded pin on the course.

Overall nice Course!!!
"I'm not impressed with aces of any kind. 95% of the time, they're just bad shots that got lucky and happened to hit the chains. Otherwise, they'd have sailed 50' past the hole." ~ Cydisc
Single L

Postby Peil » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:56 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself in Thornton. Obviously concrete teepads are one of the improvements we could make to the course to take it to the next level and hopefully those will be coming in the future. I'd love to hear what other tweaks you would make to the course to make it a good advanced level course.
Peil

Return to Suggestions