Why should rookies throw understable disc?

Learn to throw from local experts.

Why should rookies throw understable disc?

Postby covey » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:22 pm

I heard in the discraft videos. I heard again from Chase, and I think again on DGTV.com but I have never heard the explanation of why rookies should throw understable disc before they move up to overstable disc.

What am I trying to learn with them?

What is the goal?
covey

Postby Abe Froman » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:49 pm

as a newbie your throwing motion is a hyser until you learn to throw tunnel straight or anhyser. so an understable disc will help a rookie throw straighter. i used the leopard to learn. still hav 3 in my bag right now
Abe Froman

Postby karma27895 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:01 pm

consistancey is the key throw what you know and whats comfortable dont try throwing ten different disc s it wont work
www.ironliondgs.com
burns lawncare and snow removal
mcmanus pub n grub
karma27895

Postby ghstinshll » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:32 pm

covey, newbies tend to have their release wrong - among other things... When you're newer, you tend to release later, and have yourhand @ the wrong angle. The more flippy the disc is (DX or Pro Valk, Sidewinder), the more it leans toward an anhyzer line - and tends to counteract the newbie angles... I tell people to throw those discs, then once they stert to get some D - go w/ a Teebird so that once you get your strength built up, then you can fine-tune your release w/ an absolutely straight disc...
##39027
ghstinshll

Postby K.C. » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:43 am

I see it as a learning tool, I guess. There is no mandating rule saying that is the only way to learn to play, but its a way to teach you to throw correctly. A lot of newer players jump right into the “biggest and longest” discs, but are skipping over the stages of releasing accurately, releasing into a headwind, form, technique, and all kinds of other stuff (that I, obviously, missed even as I still throw under-stable plastic).

That’s not to say that you can’t learn it, anyway, cuz I see a lot of people improving by leaps and bounds at Eastern Avenue (wide open course) without ever trying a Sidewinder/Valkyrie/Stingray, and jumping right into the Wraiths/TeeRexes/Firebirds. But, it’s a different story when he/she gets to a course that demands accuracy and “finesse”.

Eventually, it’ll probably all come together, but you’re not teaching yourself very much about how a disc flies by simply throwing something that will always hyzer in the end. If you teach yourself how to throw the stuff that is “harder” to control (understable), then controlling the easy stuff (stable) becomes easier.

Don’t take my word, though, I still struggle…
K.C.

Postby GDL17921 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:49 am

K.C. wrote: But, it’s a different story when he/she gets to a course that demands accuracy and “finesse”.

See Phil D. :lol:
GDL17921

Return to Throwing Technique